Which amp to buy?

Discussion in 'AV Pre-Amp/Processors & Power Amps' started by wikd_wizz, Sep 6, 2007.

1. wikd_wizz

wikd_wizz
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I've been planning to replace my Rega Brio amp as it does struggle to cope with my Epos 22 speaker.

My choices are:

[*]S/Hand Audiolab 8000A+Audiolab 8000P as pre-power combo
    [*]Naim Nait 5i integrated
    [*]Exposure 2010s
    [*]Creek Destiny

I do have a plan to use pre/power amp to use with the integrated amp in the future for a bi-amp facility.

Could you please share your experience?

My existing set-up is:

[*]Goldring GR2 Turntable
    [*]Marantz CD 7300
    [*]Rega Brio amplifier
    [*]Epos 22 speaker
    [*]QED Reference interconnect

2. John Martin

John Martin

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Barton Under Needwood, Burton On Trent, United Kin
    Ratings:
    +40
    When you say your Brio struggles, do you mean that it can't go loud enough, or that it lacks control?

The only amp of these with which I am familiar is the Nait 5i, which I purchased for my eldest daughter last Christmas. An excellent amplifier, but if you contemplate purchasing it, then bear in mind it does not have a phono input for your turntable, and you will need to purchase a separate phono stage. Naim do one which is very good (my daughter uses one for her Linn/Ittok/Dynavector), but that also needs a Naim power supply to work. I would suggest you look at the naim audio website for details. I would also suggest taking your Epos speakers along and trying them. However, I have heard an old Nait driving Linn Saras (a very unforgiving speaker) and managing it very well

My experience of Audiolab in the past has been totally underwhelming. I've never understood the awe with which some of the magazines regard them. Of course, YMMV

Me, I'll continue to use my active Naim setup and the Naim based AV setup in my study... :D:thumbsup: