1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Which Amp? stuck with the choice

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by Shepski, Sep 23, 2003.

1. Shepski

Shepski

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hiya,

I am soon going to be upgrading my AV setup but space is a premium. I have decided on some eltax 2i speakers coupled with my eltax a10 sub but now have to change the amp.

I have narrowed it down to 2 choices, both are slimeline which is perfect and also have 6.1 decoding which is a bonus. Has anyone got either of these amps or has seen reviews in mags forthem as I cant find any online as they are quite new.

Panasonic SAXR-45 receiver

Pioneer VSX-C501 Slimline A/V Receiver

Any help greatly appreciated.

2. Shepski

Shepski

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    anyone?

3. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Somewhere near the M4 most of the time......
    Ratings:
    +1,215
    I would stay away from a Panny amp but the pioneer is quite weedy what sort of budget do you have???

4. Shepski

Shepski

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    its not the budget thats the problem. its the space! I cant fit a square peg into a round hole if you get my drift so these two amps a perfect size and both give me latest technology inc 6.1. I can not consider any amps that are taller than either of these (more than 7cm).
    Why do you say avoid the panny, is that becasue your not a panny fan or because you have heard one in action? I know they are both quite weedy in terms of what one can get with the full sized amps but both are better than my current and too large kenwood which runs 50wpc at 10% thd which i might add i am happy with and is loud and undistorted when cranked up some but it wont fit in the new units I have :)

5. nathan_silly

nathan_silly

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    If you try to squeeze any amp into a tight space it'll overheat, especially those with poor design in the first place (they'll convect more heat due to smaller heat sinks, less space in the unit etc)

Basically you're stuffed, unless you put a amp on top. 10%THD at 50W is rubbish- usual output wattage under normal listening conditions needs clean power, not low quality amp stages.

6. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,215
    10% THD is not good at all. 70mm is low and these amps are small for a reason!!! I would on paper go for the pioneer! but demo them both if possible and i dont like Panny cause i sell em! Try not too though!

7. justin@hc&b

justin@hc&b

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12
    not that you can read to much into it but... that pioneer has just got a 5star review in what hifi if im not mistaken :/

8. Shepski

Shepski

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    hmmm...will have to see if I can find that somewhere, local shops dont have a copy :(

I know both of them are not as special as the full sized amps but for my needs either will be fine as I am upgrading from a 50wpc 10%thd amp, its just down to the technicalites, which one has better features than the other which is the bit I am not sure about.

9. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,215
    try pricerunner for comparison and see if any retailers stock both

10. Shepski

Shepski

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    ok, had a redesign of the tv unit and i can possibly squeeze into the gap an amp upto 165mm.

I have searched around and I very much fancy the pioneer vsx-d812s. Its around my budget of £300 and the specs look good (specs)

I know the 912 has the extra auto setup feature and possibly one more connector but its too much over the budget to justify it. What are your thoughts on the 812, anyone know of any online reviews or have a review they can scan in and post from a mag?