Which Amp/Speakers with Mac G4 + i-tunes?

L

lindsaywill

Not sure if this is the correct forum for my question , but here goes : I have some Mission 753s and Cyrus 7 Amp and was hoping to link up my Mac G4 Powerbook to play my ripped cd's and internet downloaded mp3s via i-tunes. However i'm being warned by Mission that this may damge the speakers if played at high volumes for a lenght of time. Is there any recommended way of playing music from my powerbook i-tunes at party-level volumes for hours at a time without damaging kit? Would it make a difference if i connected the powerbook to the Amp via an i-mic line out instead of directly from the headphone jack ? Do i need some sort of sound card?

Have you heard of a modestly priced Mac product called the Griffin iMic? (about £25 new). If you purchased that it would allow audio (L and R) line out (and in) via USB. This would be preferable to a headphone jack.

Having true audio output from your Mac would allow you to run music infinitum, provided the source sound 'isn't distorted' ... this is what weakens the speaker coil element.

MP3's are compressed files but should only exhibit the nuances of the original source i.e. if the record was distorted, thus the MP3 will be.

Hope this helps.

i find it strange that mission say you may damage the speakers.

you may damage them, as you may with any source, but its not down to using the output from a computer - be it labelled 'headphone' or 'lineout'.

so long as the jack fits snugly, there really is no need to buy any more equipment on safety grounds.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom