1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Which Amp/Speakers Instead of the Sony DAV-s800 combi

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by Desticado, Dec 1, 2001.

Tags:
  1. Desticado

Desticado

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    Well Subject says it all really.
    I have a panasonic DVD-A360 and am looking at maybe getting the sony DAV-S800 (based on listening to it and the look of the speakers... ok so im no purist). I'd prefere though to keep it to seperates so which amp/speakers should I go for that are in the same price bracket or less as my wife will divorce me if I spend more at the moment... :)

2. Doubledoom

Doubledoom

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    There have been quite a few threads on the all-in-one solutions and none of them have been flattering towards these units.

The Sony has 2 analogue inputs. TV, video and satellite, for example, equals three so which one are you going to leave out?

No scart ouptut. So no RGB and no pin8 widescreen switching.

No digital co-ax output.

Weak speakers and low output (although better than the lower sony models).

Take a look at richer sounds website and get some ideas from there on the pricing. (no link to RS, its just that their site is good for getting prices from)

3. Desticado

Desticado

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    thanks for that!

I'll go take a look at the site but I'd welcome any reccommendations.

My current thinking is this.
    Im happy with my Panasonic DVD-A360 so i'll stick with it (although im unsure if the region free chipping in it will handle RCE disks, which would be my only real reason for switching).
    The A360 has optical & coaxial outputs and also has a built in DTS & DD decoder.

Im most likely getting a Tosh 36" TV due to the small chassis(although im put off at the number of repeated problems some people have had)

And so I'd like to get a reasonable set of speakers/amp to accompany it, although maybe I just use the ones with the TOSH until I make up my mind.

My latest thinking (for speakers) are the Sony Pascal SAVE 705 so I guess now it just down to an amp... unless anyone has anything to comment on these speakers...

any oppinions on this?

4. Ian J

Ian J
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,906
    Desticado

I agree with Double Doom, there is no doubt that the Sony DAV 800 is good looking but that is not supposed to be what it is all about and you can get far better value for money.

The Richer Sounds web site details a Yamaha RXV520RDS amplifier and set of Mordaunt Short speakers which will sound much, much better than the DAV and will have enough inputs to allow whatever AV and Hifi sources that you want to put through at a price of £600.

Another avenue worth investigating is the Yamaha Home Cinema In Box ( HTIB 40) which is a "real" Yamaha amp plus five small satelite speakers and a sub woofer and this should set you back less than the Richer Sounds system.

Two of my neighbours were taken with my system and wanted to get into home cinema and both decided on "all in one systems" I managed to persuade one to buy the Yamaha HTIB but the second neighbour listened to his wife and not me so bought a Pioneer "all in one" which looked prettier.

I now have one happy neighbour and one wondering why his doesn't sound as good as they both spent the same amount.

Regards

Ian

I see you edited your post whilst I was typing my response and have included something about Sony Pascal speakers. All I can add is that you are spending a lot of money on a television so why compromise the overall home cinema quality by buying Sony speakers.

5. Desticado

Desticado

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    Thanks for that Ian.
    Im definately decided now against the integrated dvd/amp route. I've always preferred seperates where possible (in my limited experience with Hi-Fi's / TV-AV), I think perhaps I got steered off course by the glowing review of the SAV-800 in "Essential Home Cinema 8".

I know purchasing AV kit should be about how it looks but for me it is a definite factor. The biggest selling point for me on the Tosh 36" is the picture frame style chassis (the biggest downer is the large thread with disgruntled owners...).

Why am I tempted by the sav705's, yes I do like the look of them. They meet my requirements of being quite discreet in size whilst retaining a sense of style about them too. I admit to ignorance though in assuming that because of the price and brand they would be a suitable purchase....

So off I go to richer sounds to look at your reccommendations....

Thanks again.

6. Ian J

Ian J
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,906
    Don't forget the Yamaha HTIB which I don't think is available at Richers. They have very small speakers but unlike the DAV system they actually work well and were What Hifi award winners this year.

I read one edition of Essential Home Cinema ( I stay away in hotels a lot so will read anything ) and the first thing I noticed when opening it up were the photos of the editorial team as they all looked no older then schoolboys.

Ian

7. Doubledoom

Doubledoom

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0

Attractive but lacking in sound depth.

Ian J, came up with some good solutions that i would go along with.

8. Desticado

Desticado

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    Well I took the plunge and orderd the Tosh 36ZP18B from RGB, so I need to order the speakers & amp now so that they arrive on the same day and my wife thinks they're part of teh same package.... :rolleyes: :D :rolleyes: Im thinking to take Ians advice and go for the Yamaha RXV520RDS and Mordaunt Short Speakers on Richer Sounds.... but I still like the look of the sony SAV705's... is there really such difference in the depth of the sound that an average person such as myself would notice or is it purely for audiophiles to notice the difference?

9. Desticado

Desticado

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    had another thought on speakers and this time I think its a concrete decision....

KEF 2005AV 5.1 set

admitadly these are slightly more than I planned to spend... (is it ever possible to spend less and getmore....???)

So just need an amp to go with it...

Reccommendations please ladies and gentlemen...

Although in order to keep to my budget I need an amp that sounds fantastic but only cost 75p INC VAT & Delivery... :clown:

10. Ian J

Ian J
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,906
    Desticado,

Excellent choice of speakers - highly rated by everyone who has tried / bought them.

For an amp have a look at whatever you can afford from the Denon range as they seem to be flavour of the month.

Ian

11. Desticado

Desticado

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    DOH!
    YOU ARE THE DEVIL!!!!

I had just finally convinced myself that £650 was too much to spend on an amp and I would forgo the DENON 8302 for a more reasonable £350 Sony STR-DB940......

And now you reccomend something by DENON......

DOH.

Decisions decisions decisions...

12. Ian J

Ian J
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,906
    I didn't recommend a Denon amp I merely pointed out that evryone is raving about them (especially the 3802) and all of the mags have given it a five star rating which is something special in itself as they never normally agree on anything.

There are alternatives by Onkyo, Harmon Kardon, Marantz, Yamaha and a few others that are worth looking at but if you can afford the Denon 3802 I am sure that you won't regret it.

When you have finally bought it all you will think that it is the end of the spending but you will soon get fed up with all of the remote controls and start thinking about buying a Pronto.

Regards

Ian

13. Desticado

Desticado

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    The pronto will be an easy sell on my wife who already complains that we have so many different remote controls...

Thanks for the advice Ian, I hope you didnt take my previous post the wrong way. IT was meant light heartedly.

I'll see what my thoughts are in the morning as to whether Im going for Denon 8302 or Sony 940.....

desire v reason...

14. Ian J

Ian J
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,906
    Desticada

I never take anything the wrong way but thought that I would add my two pence worth anyway.

If you watch a lot of TV or tapes you may find pro logic 2 useful which isn't available on the older amps but if not I am a believer that the amp has less effect on the overall sound than the speakers (others will probably disagree) as long as you are comparing like with like.

The Sony 940 was deemed to be an excellent amp last year and in my opinion still is. In the real world most of us have a budget and much as it would be nice to spend loads more it is frequently impossible. I would like a Denon 3802 but there is pressure on my funds in other directions as well so it will have to wait.

I think that if you bought an expensive amp and economised on speakers you would regret it as no matter how good the amp you would miss the impact that a good subwoofer has so I think that the Keff eggs and a Sony 940 is a better setup for the money than a Denon amp and cheap speakers.

In a previous post which I didn't answer as I occasionally have to work for a living you asked whether a decent system is noticeable by the novice or only to trained ears. It will be emphatically noticeable by anyone.

As an example I have an REL subwoofer, my next door neighbour bought his first system last month which included a cheap Yamaha sub and his next door neighbour bought a Pioneer "all in one" system at the same time. The difference in the three systems is noticeable to all three of us and is such a big difference that they still come round to mine to watch a film.

When you finally get it all up and running let us know what you think.

Regards

Ian

15. Desticado

Desticado

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    Well i've slept on it and sod it.
    The 8302 it is (£649 @ http://www.leconcepts.com/ ) I figure if im gonna spend £400 I may as well go the whole hog.

So here is what the end kit is going to be....

TV: Tosh 36ZP18B
    AMP: Denon 8302G
    Speakers: KEF 2005AV 5.1 system
    DVD: Panasonic A360 or Tosh 210

Im unsure which of the later to use (I have both) The Panasonic has an excellent picture but no component out. The Tosh is RCE capable and has Component out.

additionally I want to connect up my sky digibox and my PS2 so the above may be a factor....

I guess its time for me to start thinking more seriously about buying cables, speaker cables etc and how im going to plug it all together....

Time to go read DoubleDooms daily posting on connecting stuff...

16. Ian J

Ian J
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,906
    I hope that Santa will be as good to me.

You won't have problems connecting it up. Doubledoom's connection FAQ is directed at people who buy an "all in One" with no scart sockets and only one or two inputs who want to know how to connect up the TV, VCR, Digibox, DVD, Washing Machine and Coffee Maker who don't know what the search facility on the forum is for.

I'll speak to you soon when you post to say that it has all arrived, been connected up and sounds fantastic.

Ian

17. Lowrider

Lowrider

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Now you are talking hifi AV system ;)

Get the Toshiba, component video outputs are the best choice, and as your TV supports them...

I am sure you will enjoy your DVDs and CDs very much...

18. Desticado

Desticado

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    thanks,
    however my original budget was £2000 total!!!!

so if you need your shoes shining....

"..bob a job sir!"

19. Ian J

Ian J
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,906
    We all know about "Original Budgets". They are merely a starting off point.

20. Lowrider

Lowrider

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Now you tell me... :devil:

21. fabryuk

fabryuk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi, I am no hi fi expert. There is no doubt that all in one system is no match for separate system. But I am a bit curious why do you spend £650 on 3802. It is an excellent amp, but you are underuse it by using kef 2005. You will need 2 pairs of surround to get EX capability, which BTW sound fantanstic.

Have u considered buying cheaper amp. Depends on your main interest, if music is a main priority, choose amp such as Marantz 4200. I think I saw it in hi fi magazine selling for £200. Or you can buy 2802 instead to save you some money.

Regarding to speaker, kef is highly recommended, Probably the best sub/sat system in that price range. Or similar price, you can get different speaker package, which may sound better, depends on your taste and space eg, Tannoy MX, Cresta, Mission m7, or even B&W (more expensive though)

My advice is, If you think that you are not going to upgrade soon or 7 speaker is out of your question, buy amp that do not have 6.1 EX capability or EX but without the amplification eg2802. Speaker wise the choice is yours, but choose wisely so you can upgrade it to extra pair of surround in the future.

TV with DVD of Toshiba brand is good choice, use component to connect both.

Ultimately in home cinema, and I am sure everyone will agree, is the screen size!!!!

Good luck on getting the denon amp, I have to wait for 5 weeks to get my 3802, even in some German website said it has no stock.
    BTw it sounds fantastic !!!

22. Doubledoom

Doubledoom

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    It's not.

It's aimed at those with 3 sources (video,tv and sky) with or without an amp.