Which amp should I buy?

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi Stereo Systems & Separates' started by Islayer, Nov 26, 2017.

Tags:
  1. Islayer

Islayer
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Planning on buying q acoustics 2020i or 3020 (haven’t decided yet). Cannot decide between the onkyo a9010 or Marantz PM6006, the Marantz is £110 more but has digital inputs.

My question is the Marantz worth the extra price tag for noticeable sound quality? I am not planning on buying an external dac for either and will be using google chrome cast and blu Ray player (may buy CD player later).

2. BlueWizard

BlueWizard
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,234
    Onkyo amps, or at lest Onkyo Stereo Receivers, are very clear. But ... I think I would personally prefer the Marantz based on general quality. The Onkyo 9010 (£169) is cheap enough, but with a modest 44w/ch of power to 8 ohms.

The Marantz PM6006 (£278) is easily worth its price, and yes it does have a DAC and Digital Inputs. But still a modest 45w/ch. Though for a great many people that is more than enough power.

However, though just my personal opinion, I think the Yamaha Amps are the best value, you will get more power and a DAC, Phono, Sub-Out,....

Yamaha AS301 Amplifier with DAC - Superfi

Yamaha CDN301 and AS301 Networked Stereo System - Superfi

NOTE: The CDN301 is a CD Player with Network Streaming built in.

Yamaha AS501 Amplifier with DAC - Superfi

The Yamaha AS501 Integrated Amp with DAC and 85w/ch is available from Richer Sounds for about £250 -

Yamaha AS-501 Stereo Amplifier

The Yamaha AS301 with 60w/ch is available for £225, but for the difference in money, you would be foolish not to buy the Yamaha AS501 -

Yamaha AS-301 Stereo Amplifier

Yamaha AS501 = Black only from Richer's

Yamaha AS301 = Black or Silver

Which you choose is about juggling your personal priorities. Marantz PM6006 is a quality amp that is well regarded around the world, but with a modest but more than sufficient 45w/ch.

Marantz PM6006, 45w/ch, DAC - £280 -

Marantz PM6006 Amplifier with DAC (Silver) - Superfi

For the same money, the Yamaha AS501 offers you near double the power and still has high quality DACs.

Though I suspect way over you budget, there is one other Amp, actually Receiver, worth mentioning -

Yamaha RN602 Network Receiver, 80w/ch, Network Streaming, Bluetooth, DAC (2xOptical, 2xCoaxial, 1xUSB), Phono, Sub-Out.... - £350 -

Yamaha RN602 Networked Stereo Receiver - Superfi

The Network Streaming feature alone is worth £300 to £500 on its own. If you want the most for your money, the Yamaha RN602 delivers it in spades.

R-N602 - Overview - HiFi Components - Yamaha - UK and Ireland

A-S501 - Overview - HiFi Components - Yamaha - UK and Ireland

A-S301 - Overview - HiFi Components - Yamaha - UK and Ireland

Personally, I think absolute best value are the Yamaha AS501 and the Yamaha RN602.

But all that said, I can't fault the Marantz PM6006, that is a very decent amp.

Steve/bluewizard

Last edited: Nov 26, 2017
  3. Islayer

Islayer
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Wow thanks for very detailed reply I have seen both the AS301 and 501 but the 501 may have too much power for a budget speaker like the q acoustics 3020? I may well buy the 301 now as I never knew the price of them.

I just want to make sure that if I buy the 301 I do not need a dac or feel like I won’t atleast. Do you feel I would need a external dac to get great sound quality if I bought the Yamaha?

4. BlueWizard

BlueWizard
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,234
    There is no such thing as too much power, or at least not in the price range we are talking about. There is Excessive use of the Volume Control, but that is not down to the amp, that is down to the guy running the volume control. At volume levels that are consistent with the levels one would assume from this system, the Yamaha AS501 is NOT overkill.

AND ... Today is not forever. The AS501 would take you many years into the future and possible decades into the future.

The DAC built into the Yamaha AS301 is fine and will serve all the needs you could be expected to have. However, for £25 more it is foolish not to buy the AS501.

The Q Acoustic 3020 are rated up to 75w/ch, but remember ONE WATT will take those speakers up to 88dB which is pretty loud. I most often listen in the 75db to perhaps 80db range, and find that pleasantly loud, which means the amp would be putting out less than ONE WATT average power.

The only time you would have to worry is if you have a teenage son who likes to party to Club/Dance music. Then your speakers might be at risk. But for a normal sane person, this is not going to be a problem.

I currently use 60w speakers on a 100w/ch amp, and never give it a seconds thought.

Steve/bluewizard