1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

which amp/receiver?

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by A.L.F, Feb 3, 2001.

1. A.L.F

A.L.F

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'm starting up my first HC setup and was thinking of buying either the Sony STR-DB940, Yamaha RX-V596RDS or Denon AVR-2801. I have about £500 to spend with another £500 on speakers and have the Panasonic A360 DVD player, I won't be using it for music just for movies. Does anyone know what the differences are between the Denon AVR-2801 and the 3801?
    Cheers!

2. Dave Jones

Dave Jones

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    You can get a 3801 for £575 at some places and £599 at most others.

The 940 for £350 - £380.

I have a 3801 its got some fantastic modes DTS - ES. Sounds out of this world. I recently went through the same exercise. On speakers it was a toss up between Mission and B&W but went for the B&W's (only 3) I rescued the surrounds my my old stereo system. Speakers + cable cost £510. Over £100 for the cable...Im assured thats normal but it seems a lot. Anyway its great.

I listened to a lot of amps / speaker setups and my absolute limit was £600. It was the best thing I had ever heard. I didnt listen to anything over £600 though (I originally started off to buy a kenwood 5030 - to a A5 the rest is history) Made the wife raise an eyebrow though, but now shes heard it shes convinced

Dave

[This message has been edited by Dave Jones (edited 03-02-2001).]

[This message has been edited by Dave Jones (edited 03-02-2001).]

3. PaulBoy

PaulBoy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +87
    I'm afraid I'm with Dave on this one ...
    Spend as much as you can on an amp - The 3801 is (to quote a certain Home Cinema mag) the best AV amp out there for less than £2000 and at £800 (or £575 on the net!) is the bargain of the year ...
    I was looking for a £500 amp & bought one and IMHO it is the the dogs danglies for movies & especially CD music (5 or 7 channel stereo mode is fantastic)
    Go on you know you want to ... [​IMG]

------------------
    "Hi my names Paul and I'm a dvdaholic ..."

4. A.L.F

A.L.F

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I don't think its going to take much to persuade me to buy the 3801 now I've seen what people have said about it!. Where did you see it for that price, the cheapest I can find it is £596.96 at unbeatable.

Thanks for everyone's advice, just got to decide what speakers to buy next! [​IMG]

5. PaulBoy

PaulBoy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +87
    ALF - hotkit.co.uk have the gold or black 3801 listed for £569.99 but it costs £10 to deliver in the UK so I was £4.99 short when I quoted prices earlier (sorry)
    I havent used hotkit B4 so didnt get my 3801 from them (opted for a dealer with interest free credit!) I'm sure if you ask the forum about hotkit you'll soon find out of their OK or not (I emailed them about whether the 3801 was in stock and they replied within hours that it was) Good Luck [​IMG]

------------------

6. Matt F

Matt F

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Sorry to sound boorish but I feel the need to clarify exactly what Home Entertainment mag said about the Denon AVR3801:

They didn't say "The 3801 is the best AV amp out there for less than £2000" - what they actually said is "This is a truly special amplifier, combining top notch AV sound with a FEATURES LIST that nothing else on the market under £2,000 gets close to".

So yes, it's a great unit, it's got almost every feature you could ask for and it is blidingly good value but don't kid yourself that it's better (sound wise) than a Denon AV10SE(+POA-T10) or a Yamaha DSP AX1.

7. nickoff

nickoff

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    What did Home Ent. say about the sound of the 3801?

We will not get this mag "down-under" for ages. Just curious?

8. PaulBoy

PaulBoy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +87
    Not boorish at all but I suppose I did "massage" the facts slightly ...
    Re the AV10 & Ax1 - Mayby they do sound better but they are double & triple the price of the 3801 and that was a big issue for me (or the wife anyway !!!) [​IMG]

------------------