1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Which amp/rec? <£150

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by Garysweb, Jan 5, 2004.

1. Garysweb

Garysweb

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    As the subject suggests I am looking for an amp or receiver for less than 150 quid (hope i got the symbol right way round :) ) but the lower the better.

I am a bit of a newbie so some suggestions would be nice :)

I need 2, maybe 3 optical inputs.

I am a bit confused as to types of video inputs so some help there wouldalso be good, But i need 3 of some type - (dont think the tv likes s-video) for PS2, Xbox & freeview box.

Here are some I have seen. Your comments on these and any suggestions of others would be appreciated.

Sony STRDE485
    Denon AVR1603
    Yamaha RXV340

The last one..i think..is getting a bit too expensive

Anyway thanks in advance

2. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Somewhere near the M4 most of the time......
    Ratings:
    +1,215
    also lok at pioneer 301. RGB is the best way to connect what you have TV should take RGB in its scart set free veiw box to RGB and check.
    The 301 has 4 RGB capable scarts so will switch top quality Video from all 3 (PS2 and Xbox will require RGB cables available online or from game DSG etc)Also has 3 optical and 1 coax input!
    Basically ideal for what you need does everything, from a good manufacturer and looks good.
    Includes auto room setup.!
    £160 bargain mate!http://www.richersounds.co.uk/index.php?f=itemdetl.php&p=301576
    Full specs:http://www.pioneer.co.uk/uk/product_detail.jsp?product_id=3790&taxonomy_id=62-98

3. Garysweb

Garysweb

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hey your a good sales person :) You have nearly convinced me to spend a little extra than i was gonna. I like the look of that box though, would fit in me unit perfectly too....ohhhh its tempting. :rolleyes:

4. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,215
    go get a demo if you are unsure but RS offer a decent returns policy if unhappy i have been reading specs on Pio site and nearly bought one for my sister a while back when it was £200! use pricerunner to see if it is cheaper anywhere else as RS will pricematch and you would get a tenner of so if it was £150 at superfi for example the RS would sell at £140! buy on barclaycard or now nationwide credit card and get an extra year warranty for nothing!

5. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,215
    Should really ask what speakers you will be using or looking at!

6. Garysweb

Garysweb

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Blimey, your are good at the sales thingy,I almost feel like i am in a shop:)

Would like a demo, but i dont think there are any shops like that near by, i think the closest RS is 40 odd miles. There is meant to be some sort of hifi shop in a near by town, but i aint seen it before. I am going to investigate further on wednesday, but I doubt it will result in anything useful.

I dont suppose you know of anywhere i could get a review and maybe some more piccys?...I had a quick look around here but couldn't find much.

Better go check the rgb thing in a moment - used to run sky on rgb with my old tv, which blew up :mad: and had to get a cheap one, so hope it works. Will i not be able to use the box otherwise??

sorry for blabbing on and on :boring:
    Thanks for your help :smashin:

7. Garysweb

Garysweb

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Well as you are offering your expert knowledge :) I spose I could deal with that no too.

These are some that some one...probably you :) pointed out in a different post and i liked the look of.....please tell me they will work :)...well actually be honest, that prabably betterin the long run :laugh:

Yamaha NSP100

or

Panasonic SBTP10

Any other suggestions would be nice again but as long as you dont convince me to spend loads :)

8. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,215
    Thats my Job mate!
    I'll have a look what budget approx?
    £100?Would you prefer small satellites or just what ever sounds better for £100?
    If you dont mind the size http://www.qed-uk.com/?i=&vp=6&bg=216&bp=hollywood6&bi=0 ?

9. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,215
  10. Wasabi

Wasabi

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    SBC (Swedish Born Chinese)/lived in UK since 96, C
    Ratings:
    +32
    Garysweb,

Just to let you know RS is the cheapest at the moment at£160.

Also to remember, the 301 has as hornydragon says 4 scarts, but if you are using it as a hub, 1 scart has to go out to your tv, so you can have 3 scart inputs, which you happen to have ;p, but if you wanted to connect your vcr, then you would have to use the composite (yellow). Anyway 3 opticals are superb for your needs.

A great amp for a great price! Its really nice looking and slim as well, even the remote looks nice.

Hornydragon's speaker suggestion are superb for the price, if you have the space, while your Yamaha's is the way to go if you are limited to space or if you don't want your speaker to be too intrusive. The Yam's doesn't sound bad at all for £100.

Wasabi

11. Garysweb

Garysweb

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    They are pretty nice speakers...think they may be a bit on the big side though.....althoygh with then i would feel i were getting more for me money :) - Is there much difference in sound between sats and your average speakers.

Would the yammys be a good choice if i went for them then??

Need to sort out cable too... i new this would turn out to be more expensive than i thought... oh well its not too bad.

12. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,215
    I think with TV connected from the amp for video i would hope pioneer were sensible enough to realise that scart carrys audio in both directions and hence will get TV sound from the amp while watching terristrial. Might be worth asking the guy who just sold one about that gary.

Cantons or premiere would do a much better job with music than the yamahas. If you had room for the eltax stuff i think you will get a better sound but at cost of space and looks!

£100 aint a lot for 5 speakers and a SUB S/H might be your best bet as there are often loads of sets or part sets in classifieds from people who have upgraded etc.

These http://www.unbeatable.co.uk/CatalogueItem_4318.html
    Or : http://www.unbeatable.co.uk/CatalogueItem_4315.html

And look for a S/H Sub would be good as it gives you chance to experience full surround but upgrade as and when you can! Eltax Subs often pop up for £50-80 S/H and RS have sales, main thing is to get kit that is suitable for upgrading other wise you can spend £300+ now and when you want to upgrade you have to start from scratch again!

EDIT Bargain of the century!
    http://www.empiredirect.co.uk/productdetails/index.asp?modelcode=YAM-HTIB45&clear=

13. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,215
    If you buy that Yamaha system you could sell the AMP for £100+ the amp alone is £174! at empire!!!!
    Still think pio will suit your needs better but that Yamaha HITiB 45 for £160 is crazy! I almost bought it when i was starting out 3 years ago for £300 :eek:That makes me feel really bad now :(

But as i was saying http://www.avforums.com/forums/showthread.php?threadid=111143
    S/H is good!