Question Which amp purchase?

chrisyboy007

Standard Member
Reaction score
Hi all,

Taking first step up from stereo to multi channel.

I've been keen on 2 amps - the Sony STR DN1050 (now available for a bargain £299) or the
Denon AVR-X3100W - I specifically want an amp that offers a separate zone 2 HDMI output.

Any specific pros and cons of either of these amps over the other?

Speaker wise, either system is likely to be paired with something like monitor audio apex or Q Acoustics 7000i (it has to be a smallish discrete package).

Is there anything else I should be considering or auditioning - i've listed to the Sony Amp with Monitor Mass speaker package and was suitably impressed, however, the rep and the well know sound store said the Q Acoustics would be a much better fit but didn't have time to listen to them hooked up...

Interested in peoples thoughts and comments on which way to go.

If you have no intention of useing dolby atmos or DTS:X and you don't intend to upgrade to a 4K blu-ray with HDCP2.2 then the amps you mention should be fine.

I'd maybe propose the Marantz SR6009 as being a better option. I'd especially favour this if going with the Monitor Audio Apex speakers which although small are very capble and more akin to bookcase speakers than the lesser QA 7000i speakers.

Thanks for that Dante01 - not one I'd come across or would have considered but specs and reviews look favourable. Have you had experience with the Apex speakers?

I've previously auditioned them with a view to purchasing them. I'd rate them highly and suggest them to be more capable than the QA 7000i speakers and the vast majority of smaller lifestyle packages, but they are a lot more expensive though.

Thanks for that Dante01 - not one I'd come across or would have considered but specs and reviews look favourable. Have you had experience with the Apex speakers?

Lots of members here use the apex speakers including me. When I got my first set the dealer described them as where style meets performance. For once that wasn't hyperbole and I agree totally.

If you want even smaller then consider the focal dome package. I've got one in the bedroom and it's really potent.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom