• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Which amp for Genelec's + others?

Huppe

Standard Member
I have one pair of Genelec 8020 as main speakers and need to connect those to my home theater that doesn't exist yet. Main issue is that I don't want to go active for other speakers. So I'm looking for an integrated amp that has good pre-out's and bunch of features/connections too. It's quite impossible to upgrade to 5 Genelec's in our living room, so I have to use some satellites, probably Orb Audio.

I've been thinkin' about Yamaha RX-V3900, 2 hdmi-outs would be great.
Onkyo is getting too hot, I think
Sony STR-DA5400ES is one option too but how about quality of sound?
Denon 3808 might be an option too...

So that gives some example of the price range too. Any suggestions? I've tried search many times but it seems hopeless, there must be somebody who has experience for a similar problem?

spooney

I have no experience with Genelec's although heard about them some times and their reputation as studio monitors.

The tricky thing will be to find a AVR fitting their characteristics which for monitors is usually very neutral.
Sony gives a very neutral sound but for my taste too clean. This is why I switched to Denon (my favorite) producing a very warm sound.
IMHO Onkyo's are ugly and perfect to grill a steak :D

What might be an option is the get the Genelec sub which will fit best to your existing speakers and then go for one of the AVRs you mentioned above.

The latest video from AVForums

Fidelity in Motion's David Mackenzie talks about his work on disc encoding & the future of Blu-ray
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom