1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Which amp for Celestion C speakers & Pioneer 737?

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by msabic, Mar 1, 2001.

Tags:
  1. msabic

msabic

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    By the way, The Celestion C series are rated at 4 ohm impedence whatever that means. From what I have read so far, in practice it means I need a monster to drive them.

The salesman I asked here in the NL told me that any 500NLG receiver would drive them no problem. He says that because they are 4 ohm, even though they are rated at 120 watt you only need a 70-80 watt amp to drive them. Funny but thats the exact opposite of what I've been reading here.

Regards,
    Miro.

2. russraff

russraff

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +50
    You can't rely upon a DVD player to act as a pre-amp - it doesn’t work like that. Even if you could, the 737 doesn’t have the required decoders on board. If a DVD player has Dolby Digital or DTS on the front, it means that it can output the signal to an outboard decoder: an integrated amp or pre-amp.

Your choice of the Rotel 1075 poweramp is a good one, especially with speakers like the Celestion’s. I wouldn’t worry too much about the 4ohm impedance at the price point of the Rotel, nor the wattage rating on the speakers which is fairly useless. What you need is a good quality amplifier, and the Rotel will be ideal. This amp will sound better than most if not all other integrated amps on the market. You will need a preamp, however, preferably the Rotel 976, to act as the brains of the setup. The amp is £800 and £900 for the pre-amp.

Russell

3. msabic

msabic

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I want to buy the Celestion C series speakers (They will fit in really well with the Loewe Aconda TV) and have the Pioneer 737 which has onboard everything. I want a good amp/receiver with enough power to drive the celestions but without duplicating all the decoders that are on the DVD player.

Can someone give me a clue?

I considered the Rotel 1075 but I am unclear on the technical aspects of not having a pre-amp.

Regards,
    Miro.

4. msabic

msabic

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Now I'm even more confused. I thought the 737 actually had decoders for DD & DTS.

5. Jeff

Jeff

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +256
    You can tell the 737 doesn't have the decoders because it doesn't have the necessary 5.1ch outputs at the back. In most cases on board DVD decoders aren't very good anyway.

The Celestion speakers are excellent and while they will work with a 70W x5 amp, they do love lots of power to drive them properly. My old Yamaha RX-V995 rated at 100W x 5 did a pretty good job, but my current amp the Denon AVC-A1SE (7 X 170W) really makes these speakers sing.

If this is your first AV system then I would stay away from separates for now, it's a very complicated business even without trying to make things harder. It all depends on how much you want to spend, up to the £600-£700 mark I'd go for the Denon 3801. After that the Yamaha AX2, then the Yamaha AX1 and then the Denon AVC-A1SE which costs £2000-£2500. Anything beyond that you should be looking at more expensive speakers.

I have a good tip for the centre speaker, the Aconda slopes at the back, the Celestion C4 works quite well due to the adjustable back foot,but if you use white/blue tack on each of the 3 feet you can make it much more stable.