which amp for 4 ohm thx speakers?

G

GG9972

hi all :smashin:

bit of a long first post i know, but bear with me...

Having spent many months lurking around these forums, i wonder if i could ask you guys for some help...
I am lucky enough to have a room, some way away from the main house, that i have used as a bedroom / home theater for the past year.
However the upgrade bug has bitten again, and now have the option to start from scratch on a new 'install'
Having read many excellent discussions on these forums, i would be very grateful for any ideas, thoughts or past experiences regarding choice of amp,speakers,dvd,projector etc.
however, having posted this in the speaker section can i ask your thoughts on a possible speaker amp combo that i am currently looking into.
My old setup was based around the Kef Q series speakers, using Q3's for front and rear, a Q9c, and Q1's as additional surrounds,and a Denon 3802 amp, with the yammy ystw800 sub.
while quite good with stereo music,i thought he system lacked any real punch when watching films.
I have read lots of good things about the M&K 750thx package and have also been looking at the Kef home thx speakers.
I realise this will probably mean a change in amp. will the Pioneer 2011 drive these speakers ok,or will the impedence of these speakers mean looking at the denon avc11sr as a minimum?

The room itself measures a fairly compact 4m X 3M.

I will have circa £6k to spend pending the sale of all my old equipment, although this will have to include speakers/sub,amp, dvd player and possibly projector ( i already have the ptae100)

Many thanks in advance,

Grant

Why not keep the Pioneer 2011 ... and if you have problems driving the speakers add a Rotel RMB1075 power amp.

Vikki

I have the 750 THX package and am using an upgraded Denon KAVCA1SE to drive them. It has no trouble with the load and I am very pleased with the system. Additionally I use the Denon 3800 DVD player which is also superb.

You could probably get all that for £6K if you hunt around, or get it all from one dealer and get a discount for buying so much at once.

The KEF THX reference range is now discontinued, so you may be able to pick up a bargain.
There is one set on ebay without sub for £260!!!

thanks for the quick replies.

just to clarify, i currently have a denon 3802, with the pioneer 2011 being a possible upgrade option.

i actually wanted to buy the denon 3800 but it has been discontinued...

i have been offered the arcam dv88+ for the same price though...

thanks again

Grant

If you're looking at integrated amps then either the Denon A11SR (around 1400 quid) or A1SR (around 2100 upwards) will drive the M&K's nicely or maybe track down an upgraded A1SE 2nd hand. Alternatively you could move into seperates such as a Rotel amplification/processor combo.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom