Which amp for 4 ohm speakers

vincent5525

Standard Member
Hi Guys, the time has come (earlier than expected) to replace my Yamaha RX-V3800. Unfortunately my 2 year old decided to fill my amp with water causing it to take up a dirty smoking habit. I did manage to bring it back from the dead by getting it repaired, but it was never perfect. But now its refusing to even stay on, so its RIP im afraid. Ive been out of the AV game for a while now and some of the new features are a bit flabbergasting. So Im struggling to get my head around things. I would give Richer sounds or Sevenoaks a ring (which is where I bought it from) but at the end of the day they are just sales men. To make things a little more complex my speakers are MK Xenons which are 4 ohms 20-200 watts. Ive heard horror stories that if I just buy a budget amp, my speakers will fry it. Im not a audiophile, so I doubt I could tell the difference between a £250 amp and a £500 amp, but I dont want to cook it either. I have neighbors so I never have the volume cranked up anyway. I would like to stick with Yammy but Im open minded. Everytime I mention I have MK speakers, Im instantly directed to the £1K plus amp section because anything less wont be doing the speakers justice. If that is true then so be it, but I want to hear it from you guys, not the store manager rubbing his hands together. Thanks guys

Dean

PSM1

Distinguished Member
The speakers you have do deserve good amplification to get the best from them and they are also a slightoly tricky load for an amp. Hence a better quality (and hence more expensive) amp is really needed. That said a lower amp like a Denon 2113/2313 or Yamaha 673 should be able to power the speakers without blowing the speakers or amp although you will be working the amps harder so may need to take care with the volume and ensure good ventillation around the amp.
Although more expensive amps tend to have more power to me the gains are not in the higher volume this power can achieve. The gains are in the improved control and sound quality produced which means you get better clarity of sound. This makes itself known when at lower volumes where you can still distinguish all the sounds etc. This means a high quality amp will sound better at lower volumes than a cheaper one (which sounds perfect for your requirements).
Hence it you can afford a £1k amp then go get one as it will give ou benefits otherwise something around the £500 mark (rrp) should still power your speakers without issue (although will not sound as good). You could also look around to see if there are any of last years Yamaha Adventage receivers still being sold cheaply (Ax10).

vincent5525

Standard Member
Hi PSM1

Thanks for your time and knowledge. I have been looking at a Yamaha 773, but as you mentioned for just a little more I could get last years adventage, which would probably be better in the long run.

Powelly131

Novice Member
Hi PSM1

Thanks for your time and knowledge. I have been looking at a Yamaha 773, but as you mentioned for just a little more I could get last years adventage, which would probably be better in the long run.

Hi,

Did you make any decision on a new amp? I'm in a similar boat wth the same speakers, but no-one replied to my thread :(

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Philips TV Launch Event, Soundbar vs AVR, Samsung EzCAL and more...
Top Bottom