1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Which Amp do you Recommend ?

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by Digikid, Jan 13, 2001.

1. Digikid

Digikid

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I am torn in two at the moment (not literally). I am wanting to upgrade my Amp/Reciever, I have a Sherwood 6090RDS bought approx 2 years ago. The Amp is fine but i want to be future proofed for DTS and also i'm not happy with the Sherwoods bass. I have short listed 3 Amps, the Yahama 596, Pioneer 709, Yamaha DSPA5. All seem to get good reviews but what does the general public think.

My current Set up is a Panasonic DVDA100 (not DTS compatible)
    Mission 77C1 centre
    Mission 702e fronts
    Mission 701 rears
    Yamaha SW60 Sub

With the above, would i hear a difference ?

Is it worth the extra money buying a different Amp/Reciever?

Thanking you in anticipation.

2. Paul Dunning

Paul Dunning

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Digikid
    don't really know if it's in your budget but i can' reccomend enough the sony strdb 940........the reason im replying is that you want bass & power well the sony has it .......not to good withy music but if movies are the mainstay it simply rocks !!!

p.s only an opinion of course....try it out
    think you can get one for 380-400 quid

3. paulw77

paulw77

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +41
    I have the Yamaha DSP-A5 and it's great with both music and movies.

I'm using it with Eltax Symphony 8.2 fronts, an Eltax Symphony centre and Mission 760i rears.

4. Digikid

Digikid

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    thanks for the advice chaps.....i have that people are having problems with hissing on the Sony 940...does anybody here have these problems? Does anything specific cause it?

Anyway The Yamaha DSPA5 is out of stock at Richersounds, I was told there could be a wait of 1-2 months...so the Sony might be a viable option!!

5. paulw77

paulw77

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +41
    That's the trouble with the Yammy - hard to find at a good price. Sound and Vision in Bolton have it for 270.

Glad I got mine from letsbuyit before they had "difficulties".

223 delivered !

6. fenton

fenton

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Try the Marantz Sr5000.
    Great DTS/DD sound, great Stereo sound
    with built in tuner, 70watts RMS per channel
    I just upgraded from my old yamy 462+musical fidelity pre-power amps as I needed the space (well the wife needed it).
    Have not look back.
    Also the remote that comes with it is a learning remote so I finally only have one remote rather than 7

7. Paul Dunning

Paul Dunning

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Sony str 940 also has learning remote and lcd screen display ............also on tv screen display if req

paul

8. Paul Dunning

Paul Dunning

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hissing on Strdb940
    there were problems on early models but not now..........

paul

9. Paul Dunning

Paul Dunning

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Digikid............also on another note i auditioned the dspa5 on movies it didnt come close.....in my opinion the Yammy was ok but lacked real depth & power and lost detail if really pushed........the hissing problem although minimal was solved by sony and its now gone so if its Movies i would go for Sony but if its music who Knows maybe the yammy.

Paul

Paul

10. Digikid

Digikid

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for your help Paul.

A lot of the reports I read were stateside, there were a couple in Europe, I did wonder if it was just a problem the American's had ?! Anyway i think i'll give the Sony a go, it's probably worth the extra money!

11. KRS ONE

KRS ONE

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Have a look at sum Denon gear it's tasty. KRS ONE

12. johna

johna

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Paul - how do you get the on tv menu up on the STRB 940 - I haven't seen this before.

Thanks!!

13. GidGrace

GidGrace

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi, I also have the Sony 940 and have battled with the controls for a while now.

"how do you get the on tv menu up on the STRB 940"

To get the OSD up, you have to ensure that your video connections are all made through your amp, then output the "monitor out" connection to your TV. The video connections run on 2 separate buses though - one for phono (composite) connection and one for svideo connection. The two buses don't mix, (according to the manual) so you have to make sure all sources are connected on the same bus as you are connected.

I don't have appropriate svideo connections set up yet & didn't want to degrade my picture using standard composite, but I did test the OSD just to see if it was worth the bother...

Once you're connected, use the OSD button under the cover on your remote & hey presto, a lovely menu appears.

FYI - I'm running the following kit:-
    DVD Panasonic A360
    Amp Sony 940
    Fronts TDL RTL5 (floorstanders)
    Centre Paradigm cc370
    Rears Celestion Impact 10
    Sub Paradigm ps1000

Good luck with the menu!
    Gid

14. Paul Dunning

Paul Dunning

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Johna
    the last guys given a good explanation.........the connection to your t.v goes through the amp and not direct from dvd-t.v.........if you have the manual it should all be explained.

Paul

15. Digikid

Digikid

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Just to let you guys know, I got the Sony 940.....hooked it up.....excellent choice I do believe, it blows the Sherwood away....deeper bass, tons more detail, i haven't even hooked up my subwoofer yet!

I am also impressed with the gismo's on the amp, which i will have to learn!!

Anyway i'm gonna go and play some more, thanks for your advice once again.
    TTFN

16. johna

johna

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Ahhh....I see - thanks guys.

It's a shame the two bus's don't mix - I hooked my playstation up via phono cable - and s-video out - obviously didn't work!!

I think I'll stick to routing video direct to the tv, especially as I've just bought a BT22 RGB scart switcher.

17. Kahless

Kahless

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Just make sure it is the Sherwood amp that has poor bass and not the Yamaha SW60 Sub.

Regards

Robert

------------------
    Out of my mind!

Back in 5 mins.

18. Digikid

Digikid

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks, it is the Sherwood's bass that is thin. I have the Sony Receiver and at the moment & I do not need the Subwoofer!! The Sherwood & Subwoofer was OK, but i prefer the bass to come from the main speakers with the subwoofer as a back up if needed.

As an example I played Gladiator in DD, there was need for a subwoofer, with the Sherwood there would have been.