1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Which Amp/Decoder?

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by jpfrost, May 12, 2003.

1. jpfrost

jpfrost
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I currently have a Digitheatre DTS which has gone wrong - I've had it for about three years so it is out of guarantee.

Just wondered if I upgraded to a separate amp/decoder if I could still use the speakers? I don't have enough to replace everything at the moment. If I did this would the sound still improve or be as good as the Digitheatre?

Also, I have about £200 to spend - what would be a good amp to buy?

Thanks.

2. menalaus

menalaus

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    i had the digitheatre (DD not the 'expensive' DTS version!!) before i went down the 'separates' road and yes you will definately notice a huge improvement.

dispite what you might read elsewhere on these forums, you can buy a very decent amp around the £200 mark (online) e.g the yamaha rxv430rds, denon avr1603, marantz sr4300 to name three of the usual suspects.

yes you will be able to use your old satalite speakers for now but they will not do the amp justice, you will again notice a vast improvement when you upgrade (and yes you will upgrade!!)
    connecting the old sub to a new amps preout may prove a problem (dont know if the connections on the back of the DTS version are the same as the old DD version) so this maybe the first upgrade
    hope this helps