which amp and speakers? (first post here - be gentle!)

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by pobs, Oct 31, 2001.

1. pobs

pobs

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    ok guys, your expert knowlege would be greatly appreciated.

i have a sony dvd (DVP-s725d) and want to hook up and amp and speakers for about £500-800. the dvd has 5.1 output.

what should i get and where should i go to get it? ( the blokes at richer sounds didn't seem to be that knowlegeable)

Remember, be nice, its my first post here
    :clown:

2. bob007

bob007

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Here`s a start for you: http://www.richersounds.com/cgi-bin/search.cgi?load=frame This site can offer you some really good deals.
    Yamaha have been selling very good budget/mid range amps for sometime and know what they are doing. http://www.yamaha-audio.co.uk/yamaha_home_cinema/home_cinema.asp

Mission are also very good,http://www.mission.co.uk/main.htm have a look on their site then go to richersounds for a bargin price failing that goto http://uk.pricerunner.com/Tree.jsp?main=15

To get reviews click on AV INFO <<< then hardware reviews.

At the moment r/s are doing the yamaha DSPAX620 for £299
    and the RXV620(RDS) for £315 both very good amps. That leaves you approx £500 for speakers/cables.
    I`m sure you will get more helpfull advice if you stick around.
    good luck, watch out for the bug.
    :rolleyes:

P.S Richersounds are ok if YOU know what you want

3. ReTrO

ReTrO

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +59
    Try the Denon AVR 1602 for £349.99, which leaves you around £4-500 for your speakers. The only ones I have used in this area are by Quadral, I forget which model, but they are £560.

Otherwise you may want to try a Mordaunt Short Premier system (£500 for RS) or the Polk RM 6000 for £500 from Polk dealrs such as myself.

Hope this helps!

4. Reiner

Reiner

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    I would also rekon a entry level Denon or Yamaha amp plus a nice speaker package like e.g. Tannoy M(x) series.
    This should fit the budget well and you can upgrade from there at a later time (e.g. add a subwoofer).

5. kirk grubb

kirk grubb

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
    i would reccomend the kef speaker package from sound and vision at £500. (80 centre,2pair 60s and 30b sub, did retail at over £1000. and would go for the best dennon amp you can afford. could you help me now please.. i wish to ask my own questions in the forum but being a newbie to computers i cant find the right area to submit my questions. hope you can push me in the right area, kind regards ... kirk

6. Reiner

Reiner

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    What kind of help do you need?

Just call up the main page at www.avforums.com , click on the forum you wish to post your question and select "new thread" in the upper right corner.

7. Iain Shields

Iain Shields

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    How about a Kenwood KRF-V5050D
    For the price ( I've seen it for £179 ) it's hard to beat... it got 4 and a half stars out of 5 in the Jun edition of Home Cinema Choice

8. paiger

paiger

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    A Sony 940 or 1070 will match your player perfectly. You'll hear a lot of Denon and Yamaha fans on here and it's good kit but Sony AV recievers are under-rated. Go have a listen for yourself. As for speakers, I would recommend either the Tannoy MX series or Missions. Right in your price range and good value for money, particularly the Missions.

Steve

9. 9004

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    For my money, you want pro-logic II for all the times you are watching anything other than DVD - so the Denon AVR1602 has to be top choice, or if you can find one the Marantz SR4200 at £299. (Denon's my choice). Speakers, check out the Mission M7 series, from £399 a set, or to be really budget 2 pairs of Denon SCM50 at £70 per pair, and a Mission M7 centre for £99, (you'll be suprised, I was) then add a sub later (Mission M7 coming soon @£249). BUT audition them first at a dealer with decent facilities, to see if you like it.

10. pobs

pobs

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    have just listened to the KEF2005 speakers with the denon 1802 amp, are the worth it? (1300 including cable)

11. flunchy

flunchy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have the Kefs and love them, and all Denon amps are good buys. But £1300 is too much! You should be able to get this package for £1000-1100.

1802 is £360 at http://www.hifibitz.co.uk/ and you can get the Kefs for much less than the £799 list price if you shop around (plenty of threads already on this forum about this).

12. ReTrO

ReTrO

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +59
    £1300 for the 1802 and KEF's including cable is a good deal, seeing as it would otherwise cost you around £1250 + cables.

£1,250 may the best you can get from a good dealer.