• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Which Amp and Speaker Package should i get? £400 - £600

AlexJT22

Standard Member
Hi, i posted a thread on here a few days ago about which amp i should get and a few other questions i got some very help full reply's but because of how many questions i asked i didn't have many replys so ive put a new one in which hopefully will push me into buying one as i just cant decide and the more i read other threads the more i don't know.
Now that i found that upscaling isn't a must as my tv will do it, and also finding out about various ways to connect everything to the amp i have narrowed it down to these amps and speakers and would like advice on which set to get.
Just to say my set up again: 42” lcd, Xbox 360 elite - hdmi out, PS3 - hdmi out, PC - hdmi out, wii – component out and sky + which i shall run scart lead to tv and optical to the amp? Question on these devices is this definitely the best way to connect them to the amp or is it better to try and use optical for audio and hdmi for video and putting them together or is there no difference? Also i mainly want the amp and speakers for playing game and watching films, music is not really a must.
What i don't know out of the five amps is whether they output hdmi when in standby leaving my tv speakers to do the audio when i don't want it too loud. Also the only two that do upconversion is the denon 1610 and the Yamaha 565 with that doing upscaling i haven't looked into the sony strdg820 only just come to my attention so have no clue about that.
Right here are the amps and speakers together, what i wanna know is what would you get and also which is the best value for money and which one is the best for sound quality:
Onkyo 507 for £230 and Tannoy SFX 5.1 for £195 = £425
Sony STRDG820 for £260 and again tannoy SFX 5.1 for £195 = £455
Sony DH800 for £280 and tannoy SFX 5.1 for £195 = £475
Denon 1610 for £320 and Jamo A102HCS5 for £225 = £545
Yamaha 565 for £345 and Jamo A102HCS5 for £225 = £ 570
Hope you guys can help, thanks

Last edited by a moderator:

Passingbat

Distinguished Member
As you say you're going to connect Sky+ to the TV via scart, if you also connect the Wii to the TV via component for video, you wouldn't need an up converting amp as all your other connections that would go to the amp are HDMI, meaning that you will just need the one HDMI lead from the amp to the TV.

This means that all the options you list would work for you and the best plan would be to go to listen to them to see if one stands out to you as the best sound.

PSM1

Distinguished Member
As far as using the TV speakers you will often find that you will be able to listen to the amp and speakers at a much lower volume than the TV speakers. This is because you will have a much clearer well defined sound so will be able to turn it down lower. So I would not worry about the pass through bit. Why spend over £400 on a surround system to not use it. When I had a TV with speakers (my current one has no speakers so use amp all the time) I never used them because the amp/speakers sounded so much better and I was able to listen to them at a far lower volume than the TV speakers (if watching late at night).

Passingbat

Distinguished Member
:oops: Missed the bit about passing through in standbye!

The Yamaha 565 and Denon 1610 do that. I agree with PSM1 on that though --- always use my amp for TV sound. but some people do like that option. The above 2 amps that do that would be good choices in their own right anyway. BTW 1610 has 3 HDMI, 565 has 4.

dante01

Distinguished Member
:oops: Missed the bit about passing through in standbye!

The Yamaha 565 and Denon 1610 do that. I agree with PSM1 on that though --- always use my amp for TV sound. but some people do like that option. The above 2 amps that do that would be good choices in their own right anyway. BTW 1610 has 3 HDMI, 565 has 4.

The Yamaha is also a 7.1 receiver while the Denon is only 5.1.

hump

Standard Member
I'm in a very similar position to AlexJT however I'm considering second-hand gear (My bonus got halved by the purchase of a new 3 piece:rolleyes:)

I'm looking out for a used denon 1909, Sony 2400 or a similar used Onkyo or Yamaha for about 200 to 250.

For speakers I'm after used QAcoustics 1010is, Kef 2005.3s or any other similar standard. Should I consider used non-package speakers? If so, which?

How would this level of used gear compare with Alex's suggestions?

I have a 42 x10b panny plasma, xbox360 (HDMI), skyHD.
BP to follow. Budget same as Alex's.

AlexJT22

Standard Member
i think after looking a bit more im gonna settle with the denon 1610 as i prefer the jamo speakers that go with the amp and also that its the cheapest one that up converts all in's to hdmi so i only need one lead to the tv, i would of got the yamaha but it seems to be the lesser amp for QA and have the worse of the two connections does everyone else think the denon is the best one to get? i was up for getting the sony dg820 but it doesnt upconvert so i would have to have three leads going to the tv shame really i would of rather parted with £90 less out of interest is there any difference in sound quality between the denon 1610 and the sony dg820?

i must ask maybe stupid but want to make sure, so since my component and s video for sky + gets up converted and not up scaled and gets sent through to the tv via hdmi does that mean my tv wont up scale it as its being sent via hdmi?

PSM1

Distinguished Member
The TV will upscale the signal with no problem even if it is going via HDMI.
The 820 is discontinued and very hard to get hold of now so you would be very lucky to get one. The Denon sounds like the best choice for you.

Passingbat

Distinguished Member
As the Sony 820 is pretty much unavailable, the replacement H800 is £280 so that the Denon 1610 is £65 more than you would have to pay for the Sony amp (if that helps a bit :))

The Denon 1610 should give you better sound quality than the Sony H800.

AlexJT22

Standard Member
thats settled im going to get the denon package, thanks for everyones help.
i never thought it would be so hard choosing an amp as i was always thinking should i spend that £50 more for a better one then when you look at that one you think oh look at the one for another £50 thats got that even more in it should i get that.
now all i need to know is whats best to look for in hdmi leads and also in speaker wires and wheres the best place to get them?

PSM1

Distinguished Member
Most will say not to spend more than £10 for a HDMI (assuming relatively short length of a couple of metres).
As far as speaker cable no need to spend more than £1 per metre. Richer sounds do some reasonable cable for around 80p per metre. They also used to do free P&P on it too.

Passingbat

Distinguished Member
now all i need to know is whats best to look for in hdmi leads and also in speaker wires and wheres the best place to get them?

After buying my first HDMI cable from these people, I now don't go anywhere else, and always get this cable.

They are an AV Forums Assured advertiser and you can get 10% off the price by using the code AVF10. I just wish they would do a 2m cable priced between the 1 & 3 metre price.

Cheap HDMI Cable - HDMI Cables 1.3b Full HD - Free UK Delivery - Ships Worldwide

Also check out the cable forums for other suggetions; people may know of even cheaper cables that do the job.

The latest video from AVForums

Fidelity in Motion's David Mackenzie talks about his work on disc encoding & the future of Blu-ray
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom