Which Ambilight? Advice welcome!

Reaction score
Hi everyone ! I've been reading the forums for a while (in relation to Ambilight TV's) and I am hoping someone could help me.

I have a 32 inch Ambilight TV that is roughly 12 years old (it says HD ready on it, that's how much I am in need of an upgrade)

I recently moved into a new house and the biggest I could go would be 50 inch.

I like the idea of a bigger Ambilight, mainly because the corner of the room the TV will be in, can be dark. I've looked at Amazon, Argos, Curry's etc and it seems that my main options seem to be ...

And the Philips 50 inch 50PUS8505 from Argos

Any advice would be greatly appreciated !!! The main difference I can see is either 3 or 4 sided Ambilight ... And a higher PPI on the 9005.

Thanks!

The astounding thing I found with my 8555 is that you cannot reorder the Freeview channels or create a Favourites list. Apparently, all 2020 models have this functionality removed in the UK and Italy due to broadcaster complaints.

Also, almost all models this year have silver bezels which is more distracting than gun metal.

I would ditch Phillips but I'm too much of a fan of ambilight. 4-sided is overkill so I'd probably pick the 7555. It's not Android based but if you use a Firestick/Apple TV/Nvidia Shield for your apps, won't be an issue.

Thanks for the reply !!! Do you mean the 7855?

I would use a firestick quite a lot so technically the operating system wouldn't be make or break for me.

I'm similar to you, in that I like the Ambilight feature so much I'm willing to ignore other issues in order to stick with Philips. I hadn't thought about the silver bezels !

I'm basically looking for solid picture/sound and none of the "days of our lives" picture processing (if that makes sense)

I would also console game a fair bit on it (offline and online).

Do you have any other complaints about the 8555?

Would ditching Philips and getting LED strips with a different manufacturer be a semi reasonable substitute?

Cheers !

"Would ditching Philips and getting LED strips with a different manufacturer be a semi reasonable substitute?" It can be done either through prebuilt such as the huesync or DIY option with a pi zero, HDR aware hdmi splitter and hyperion-ng (which works with Hue bulbs) . The caveat here is that it's useless if the video source is teh TV (there are some partial workarounds) as these only work by capturing the HDMI feed Into the box

"Would ditching Philips and getting LED strips with a different manufacturer be a semi reasonable substitute?" It can be done either through prebuilt such as the huesync or DIY option with a pi zero, HDR aware hdmi splitter and hyperion-ng (which works with Hue bulbs) . The caveat here is that it's useless if the video source is teh TV (there are some partial workarounds) as these only work by capturing the HDMI feed Into the box

Thanks very much!

I think I'm starting to lean more towards saving for a while and going for a higher end LED TV (from the likes of Sony) - after a few conversations on here with others.

Thanks very much!

I think I'm starting to lean more towards saving for a while and going for a higher end LED TV (from the likes of Sony) - after a few conversations on here with others.
I'm in the same boat, having done the DIY route it's a great bit of eyecandy but I'll leave it on the small TV attached to the xbox as in my eyes it works better there. I'm not convinced I need the colour side for TV viewing , especially as while the new Philips have all the bells and whistles on paper the reviews on them are fair to middling.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom