• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Which all in one remote for me?

JTT

Hi,

I need to consolidate all my remotes.

I currently have:-

Panasonic 50PZ70B plasma
Sky HD
Onkyo SR605 amp
Samsung BD1400 blu-ray player
Logitech Sqeezebox Classic

I need to be able to control all these with good functionality, which all in on remote would you guys recommend? :confused:
Thanks,

JTT

Hi, thanks.

Want a decent one, don't want to think "should have spent a few more quid" when it doesn't do something I want it to.

Would probably go up to roughly £150, but only if it gave me something extra over something for £80 for example.

Hope this makes sense:confused: I don't mind paying the money if the benefit is justified, is what i'm trying to say...

badbob

Banned
And depends on what you might prefer. Personally I think (having owned a touchscreen) I'd avoid them for AV rigs, but they're great for stereo systems.

I stick to URC remotes, had a MX-700 first, picked up a MX-200 for the Hi-Fi (controls pre-amp and Squeezebox) then got couple of MX-500 for relatives, now also use a MX-850. If you do buy a MX remote I have discrete codes for SB if you need them.

JTT

Sorry, forgot to mention. Ease of use, for the missus, is also important. ;)

badbob

Banned
Ease of use is how you set it up, also having discretes helps loads. Parents sometimes struggle with the MX-500 because no discretes, no goto links. But the MX-700 is far more powerful, although still no discretes for there system...but if it did far easier to use.

norealplan

Distinguished Member
I'd have a look at the Harmony 885 mate. Pretty easy to setup, and once setup, very missus friendly. They are often on the trading forums on here if you're not bothered about a used one.

logiciel

Want a decent one....
Would probably go up to roughly £150
Then go for a One.:)
Harmony model One well under £150.

JTT

Cheers guys, whats the differences between the 885 and the one, as the one is cheaper?

logiciel

The One is the more recent - only a couple of months old.
It also costs slightly more, at an average of £110, though prices for both vary over a very wide range.

JTT

Thanks guys.

I think the Harmony one looks the best option.

I've seen it for £113 from dabs.com, is this about the cheapest you've seen, or is there somewhere you know of cheaper?

Cheers,

saintalan

Thanks guys.

I think the Harmony one looks the best option.

I've seen it for £113 from dabs.com, is this about the cheapest you've seen, or is there somewhere you know of cheaper?

Cheers,

I know there are ways around it and it's a matter of choice but remember the ONE does not have the 4 coloured buttons if you and your family are used to them. It does have the facility to display them in the LCD.

If you want something cheaper (£70 ish) and similar to the 885 but with a different feel, take a look at the 785.

JTT

I know there are ways around it and it's a matter of choice but remember the ONE does not have the 4 coloured buttons if you and your family are used to them. It does have the facility to display them in the LCD.

If you want something cheaper (£70 ish) and similar to the 885 but with a different feel, take a look at the 785.

Do you know which ones DO have the coloured buttons?

Thanks,

saintalan

Do you know which ones DO have the coloured buttons?

Thanks,

All those ending in 5 i.e. 525 555 785 & 885 plus the discontinued (but you can still get) Harman Kardon TC30.

Hope that helps, unfortunately the Logi site only shows the US pictures for the xx5, very annoying and confusing.

There really is a very different feel to the 885 and the rest. I think the ONE has the best feel and button layout. If you get a chance feel them.

Also remember the Harmony Way (all models) need you to use only them and not the old Remotes at the same time as the Harmony remembers Power & Inputs states and will not know if a command is sent from elsewhere. Easily corrected but not ideal.

Cheers

Alan

The latest video from AVForums

Fidelity in Motion's David Mackenzie talks about his work on disc encoding & the future of Blu-ray
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom