• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Which adsl router?

Russellgti

Active Member
I am currently looking into getting a new wireless router as my current one is becoming unreliable.

For the new one I want it to have the ADSL modem built in, be Wireless-N and have 4 network ports.

The three I have been looking at so far are:

DrayTek Vigor 2710n - Like the usb nas idea.
D-Link DSL-2740R
Billion BiPAC 7800N - Like the fact that it has Gigabit ports.

I have already had and sent back the NETGEAR DGND3300 as its range on both the G and N bands was rubbish.

Which one of these offers the best coverage and speed as these are the main criteria as opposed to the extra stuff like Packet forwarding, QOS?
 

t72bogie

Well-known Member
I seriously doubt that any are significantly better than the Netgear to be honest

they use the same chips

similar antennas

same technology

same adherance to the legal limit for power output

out of that choice I would (and have) a DGN3300 myself, Id probably go for a Draytek ...they are a much smaller player in the consumer market, but have a good rep
 

Russellgti

Active Member
Thats's what I though but in my brothers bed room 11m away through 2 wall the netgear manged about 14 % signal strength. When using my failing linksys I get 82% signal in the same place.
 

t72bogie

Well-known Member
measure the throughput ...dont rely on the utility saying "54% signal strength" - thats software driven, unless you have a calibrated network card and software driver, its just a best guess ...any card manufacturer can give you a driver that reports a higher value to the OS

im just a cynic on these things - in a previous job, when I was doing large scale wireless installs professionally, I did used to have a few grands worth of wireless RF scanning software and calibrated adapter...

best way is to just do something like a simple copy n paste in windows, same file, do it 5 times, take an average

then repeat with the other router or adapter and see what you get

you may be surprised when you get fairly similar throughput figures, but one reports 20% signal, and the other 80% .....

its not always like that ...just occasionally......
 

The latest video from AVForums

Guardians of the Galaxy Xmas Special, Strange World, Bones and All, and Cabinet of Dr Caligari in 4K
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom