1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Which active sub for £200. £250 tops?

Discussion in 'Subwoofers' started by frank-g, May 8, 2005.

1. frank-g

frank-g
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I currently have a Teufel M2500 passive sub but want to upgrade to an active sub. What do I need to be looking at when considering what to buy?

I live in a ground floor flat and the room it will be in is about 4x5 metres and as usual the walls to my neighbours are none to thick. I want the sub mainly for watching DVDs and a bit of music. The sub will be fed from a Yamaha RX-V 795.

I would love to get a few demos but don't have a lot of time on my hands so it's not going to happen. I have looked through a few threads and at the moment a Ruark Vita 100 is the front runner but see AV-Sales still have a black Velodyne CHT-8 listed.

For the amount it will be used I don't really want to spend more than £200 but wouldn't want to miss out on something a lot better that is only 50 quid or so more. On the other hand don't want a sub that is so powerfull that I'm not going to be able to make full use of because it will pee the neighbours off.

So any advice and/or views will be gratefully accepted.

2. PJTX100

PJTX100

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +562
    I started at £150 with the same sort of questions and ended up with a £280 XLS200. I don't regret the decision one bit, this sub is so powerful yet refined it meets my needs perfectly.

Whether your neighbours would agree with this is another matter...PJ :)

3. frank-g

frank-g
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks PJ. Thats exactly what I'm afraid of.

I'm a great one for starting off with a budget and then over spending. I was going to buy an waterproof watch for £400 and spent £1500. Last year I changed the car and was only going to spend about £18k and ended up spending £26k (not even a new one). Having recently purchased a plasma screen, I think this time I am going to be pretty strict on my budget. Must admit the XLS200 does seem very popular.