Which acoustic fabric in the UK

Stevo1980

I have a dedicated theatre with acoustic panels covered in cara acoustic fabric. My problem is as this stuff is not really stretchy it can sag over time or indent if the kids poke at it etc. I was wondering if anyone has an alternative that has more stretch to it so will stay tight over frames. I see the guys in the US use GOM fabric but I can’t find anywhere that stocks it in the uk. I use the panels to hide acoustic treatment and speakers.

mb3195

Distinguished Member
MVEL22 is easily the best material. Great AT qualities, the blackest of blacks and easy to work with.

difficult to get hold of at the moment though.

Bippu

Having now ordered samples of almost every fabric know to man. I decided that many of them had a high cleaning overhead. My MVEL sample literately just attracted dust and lint and was difficult to clean. Its a great black though and people are happy with it.
The best fabric for me was Camira Lucia CS Havana. Good black, nice weave, transparent, easy to work with. CS is the fire retardant version but make it a much stiffer and easy fabric to work with and you can dust it easily.

dvearn

Standard Member
Are you covering your speakers with the fabric, as in hiding them behind the fabric?
If so, I'd love to hear you experience of the impact the fabric has on the sound please?
I've been experimenting with apparently acoustically transparent fabrics (was want to hide all my ear level speakers in 7.2.4 setup behind fabric for the cleanest look).
The issue I'm having is that even Camira Era 170 is showing up to a 10dB attenuation, with impact starting around 3-4kHz and getting stronger as frequency increases. This was measured using ARC Quick Measure on Anthem MRX740.
See for yourself, with Camira Era 170 fabric covering an MK IW950:
With Fabric.png

Without fabric covering same speaker:
Without Fabric.png

The Dreamer

Distinguished Member
Are you covering your speakers with the fabric, as in hiding them behind the fabric?
If so, I'd love to hear you experience of the impact the fabric has on the sound please?
I've been experimenting with apparently acoustically transparent fabrics (was want to hide all my ear level speakers in 7.2.4 setup behind fabric for the cleanest look).
The issue I'm having is that even Camira Era 170 is showing up to a 10dB attenuation, with impact starting around 3-4kHz and getting stronger as frequency increases. This was measured using ARC Quick Measure on Anthem MRX740.
See for yourself, with Camira Era 170 fabric covering an MK IW950:View attachment 1630748

Without fabric covering same speaker:
View attachment 1630750

Mine are all hidden behind Camira Cara fabric - with no noticeable drop off - certainly the processor doesn't complain when EQ'ing it!

As the OP noted Cara can be pushed out of shape by inquisitive fingers; but as many of us use fabric track systems to hold it in place, sag is not an issue, and any 'finger poking' is quickly remedied by simply pushing the material into the track, tightening it all up again.

IMG_2298.JPG

Hiding Front Wide.jpeg

IMG_3192.JPG

There are 9 base level speakers hidden in the room.

Topmetom 2

Distinguished Member
Mine are all hidden behind Camira Cara fabric - with no noticeable drop off - certainly the processor doesn't complain when EQ'ing it!

As the OP noted Cara can be pushed out of shape by inquisitive fingers; but as many of us use fabric track systems to hold it in place, sag is not an issue, and any 'finger poking' is quickly remedied by simply pushing the material into the track, tightening it all up again.

View attachment 1640001
View attachment 1640006

View attachment 1640002

There are 9 base level speakers hidden in the room.
Wow

The latest video from AVForums

Are the TCL MiniLED TVs better than OLED? TCL Interview with Marek Maciejewski | AVForums Podcast
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom