1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Which 939 Mobo?

Discussion in 'Desktop & Laptop Computers Forum' started by nickwild, Sep 19, 2005.

1. nickwild

nickwild
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi,

Due to cost of a Pentium M solution, I've decided to plump for a Socket 939 AMD with cool n quiet technology... problem is now which mobo.

My case with either be Ahanix MCE302, or Silverstone LC11 - depending which mobo and future purchase of 6600GT Graphics card wll fit best.

Mobo Choices appear to be:
    1...MSI RS480M2-IL
    2...EQS M56K9-MLF

I appreciate that the MSI has an extra PCI slot and an an s-vid output but which is intrinsically "better", any idea if there are any alignment issues etc with either case?

TIA

2. Skunkpipe

Skunkpipe

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    One thing to not about the AhanixMCE case if that it only accepts 1/2 height cards. This will seriously limit you choice of expansion cards. The 6600GT will always be a full height card so will not fit in this case.

The LC11 I use a lot. Unfortunately if you want a fanless 6600GT (or 6600 for that matter) you won't be able to fit this in either. The problem here is that there are heatsinks either side of the card. The heatsink on the back side of the card is the problem here ar the gap between the backside of the card and the LC11 'lid' is not big enough.

As for mobo choice - both have s-Video out - the EQS comes on a PCI riser that you'd fit in the space normally occupied by a gfx card, the MSI is via the back panel.

There are no alignment issies with either board with teh Ahanix case - which one you go for depends on whether you want a free PCI Express x1 slot or not.

If going for the LC11 case then the MSI is the board to go for as the PCI-Express x1 slot on the EQS board is where the PCI slot needs to be for the riser. Don't forget you'll need to purchase a PCIExpress riser (£20) if you want to add a PCI-Express Gfx card

3. OneEleven

OneEleven

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    If you're thinking of the LC11 there's a similar case available at www.mediapc.tv , they also do bundle with the MSI board. Might be worth a gander. I built my HTPC from their Socket 478 bundle

4. mjn

mjn
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5,471
    You could put a full height card in a half height case, if you use a riser card on the motherboard, but that will limit any upgrade potential.

5. Skunkpipe

Skunkpipe

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The LC11 is a 1/2 height case with a riser so the cards fit horizontally.
    the Ahanix is a half height case, but the slots on the back are vertical, so you 'd need to modify the case to do this and there'd be no proper mounting for the PCI card

6. nickwild

nickwild
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for your erudite advice gang.

Must admit that the mediapc case doesn't look as cool as the lc-11 or Ahanix - thanks for the option though.

I have seen a low profile fanless 6600 from aopen (http://www.aopen.nl/products/vga/AeolusPCX6600-DV128LP.htm) how would this fit in either case? If it won't what other higher performance card would work in either of these cases.

Will eventually need a sweetspot card... or two... Would these work in a PCI riser in either case along with the low profile 6600.

Thanks so far.

nick

7. Skunkpipe

Skunkpipe

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I don't know that Aopen card, but looking at the picture it looks like there is a heatsink on both sides of the card - this makes it impossible to fit into the LC11 or mediapc (same case as LC11 - different fascia) case

The sweet spot is a full height card so won't fit in a Ahanix, but will in the LC11.

The issue with Gfx cards and the LC11 is that the clearance between the back of the card and the lid is only a couple of mm (if that!) - you need a gfx card that doesn't wrap the heatsink around to the other side of the card. You''ll be looking at a Radeon X300 or possilby X500 as the most powerful that will fit. You could always try and swap teh cooler off a std 6600GT with something like Zalman GFx card cooler (The VF700 http://www.quietpc.com/uk/vgamb.php#vf700 )

8. nickwild

nickwild
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Skunkpipe: will a fanless 6200 (xfx, Gigabyte etc) fit into the LC11 or does the same thing apply as the 6600? Also if the 6200 fits will it still allow other cards to be used in the PCI riser?

If so looks like it will be either...
    Ahanix MCE302; MSI mobo; Half height 6600 or 6200 external analogue tuner or
    Lc11; MSI mobo; full height 6200 or 6600; internal analogue tuner.

Thanks everyone for all their help!

9. Jim_Fear

Jim_Fear

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +59
  10. Skunkpipe

Skunkpipe

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The 6200 will fit - what you need to look for is a heatsink that is on the main side of the baord only.
    The heatsink size on these doesn't occupy any of the adjacent PCI slot