Which 9.1 Channel Surround Processor to buy?

D

DEHAAS

I am about to upgrade my home cinema system. I have been running with external amplifiers for some time now, and a quality Sound Processor has to be the next upgrade. I would like it to be able to handle 9.1 channel surround, and maybe some sort of room calibration. I am willing to throw about $6000 after this device, but I am on a little unfamiliar ground. I hope you guys can help me decide which one to get.

D

DEHAAS

I have been looking at the Anthem D2, but it looks like it is only 7.1 (no synthetic 9.1 options), and rooms calibration looks like a future upgrade.

I would like to buy my Sound Processor as soon as possible, so quick answers are highly appreciated.

alexs2

Distinguished Member
Obviously you are looking for such a processor,but it rather begs the question of why?....there are lots of excellent 5.1 and 7.1 channel processors around,but one of the single biggest benefits you could have is that of integrated roomEQ,and it may be well worth looking at this as an option as opposed to synthesised 9.1

The Anthem has plenty of good press,but you should also be looking at the appropriate Lexicon,Meridian and Tact(Lyngdorf) models.....don't be tempted to buy too quickly....it's very easy to buy in haste and repent at leisure,and at this sort of level,you really do need to put time into trying as many combinations as possible,in your own home.

mo

if memory serves me well the only product that can do as want is the top of the range denon receiver.

J

jackal

If you want to run two sets of side speakers, or two sets of rear speakers then you can use split phono cables of a 7.1 processor to feed a suitable amp/amps.

J

jackal

If it is a home theatre room which is common in the USA, then having 2 pairs of rear side speakers is quite common (two rows of seating). Although the input signal is invariable the same for both pairs.

J

jackal

BTW the new Yamaha Z-11 will allow for 11 discreet channels.

Front L/R
Centre
'Presence' L/R
Rear Side L/R
Rear Back L/R
Rear Back 'Presence' L/R

Gimmick? Only time and good reviews will tell, although even though I don't have a wife to seek acceptance factor from:D, my current 7.1 system gives me everything I could possibly need.

I bet the Yamaha will make a great processor though.

Sniper

J

jackal

YES

I'm sure it does, but what ammount of dvds (or other) with 7.1 discreet channels do you own? :devil:

........Erm, quite a few. Also don't forget that post processing modes such as THX Ultra2 and Dolby PLIIx make good use of extracting extra channels from a 5.1 source.

alexs2

Distinguished Member
BTW the new Yamaha Z-11 will allow for 11 discreet channels.

Front L/R
Centre
'Presence' L/R
Rear Side L/R
Rear Back L/R
Rear Back 'Presence' L/R

Gimmick? Only time and good reviews will tell, although even though I don't have a wife to seek acceptance factor from:D, my current 7.1 system gives me everything I could possibly need.

I bet the Yamaha will make a great processor though.

I'm sure that the build quality etc will be all that you would expect,but your comment about WAF etc is entirely true for most of us.

If I had a living room dedicated as a home cinema(not in this life!)and big enough,it might just be an interesting gimmick to have,but I actually find my current 5.1 system,made up of some carefully chosen parts and within the room we have,works very well indeed.
Even a move to 7.1 seems unlikely and unneccessary in a rather old timber framed house.

dts_boy

The Parasounf Halo C1/C2 processors have a couple of programmable outputs which i think you could setup as the extra channels you need. i've never used them myself but know of someone who set them up for use with tactile transducer channels with great results. I'm not sure if this is availible on the Classic range which is a little cheaper though?

The latest video from AVForums

LG G1 OLED Evo TV and SVS SB-1000 Pro subwoofer reviews, Samsung OLED rumours and more...
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom