Which ~8GB MP3 Player for around £100?

Discussion in 'Headphones, Earphones & Portable Music' started by GaryMo, Feb 12, 2009.

1. GaryMo

GaryMo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +280
    I'm looking at buying an MP3 player with around 8GB for use in the gym and whilst running. I would prefer to keep the budget to £100ish

The obvious choice to me is the new 8GB Ipod Nano.
    Before I order one at Amazon is there anything else I have overlooked or that's recommended over the Ipod Nano?

Many thanks for any advice.

EDIT - How about the Sony NWZ-S639FS 16GB for £108.99?
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/...&pf_rd_t=101&pf_rd_p=463374953&pf_rd_i=468294

Last edited: Feb 12, 2009
  2. Steven

Steven
    Senior Moderator

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6,603
    The Sansa Fuze and Sont S639 share the highest opinion on internet-land now for SQ. http://www.avforums.com/forums/port...od-nano-4g-versus-sansa-clip-impressions.html

The link is relevant in that the Fuze has the same SQ. Further to link, I would add that it is now clear the Nano is inferior. I threw more music on; jazz, rock and j-pop (I don't understand it, I just like the tunes :p)

What is now clear is the the Sansa is indeed superior. The Sansa gives as much prominence to each instrument without one element drowning out another or taking precedence. Or if one element is intended to be secondary the Nano seems to let it become overpowered and drowned out by the primary instrument. I would also say the Clip is able to keep up with the fast paced electronic synthesised sounds and effects prevailent in J-Pop. Nano does not seem to be able to replicate them, particularly when there is rapid switching of channels from left to right

I think if you use anything orchestral, particular with brass instruments like the trumpet you cannot fail but notice the different reproduction. And that is before we begin to compare how they present music with all the elements together. The Nano seems to grab that one thing - be it the vocal or an instrument as appropriate then shoves it in your face. And a touch bright at that. The secondary parts of the music become recessed and an afterthought. The Clip does not give more prominence to anything that should not have it but it does not neglect it like the Nano. It just cannot reproduce complicated fast parts of music and rather recesses certain element

I cannot speak about the Sony but it is worth bearing in mind it does not have gapless again. Otherwise it is also drag + drop and is nicer for video. But I am sceptical in that I have never heard it and query the brand of "Sony sound" that it has

I don't imagine having to use iTunes particularly concerns as I am never one to dismiss it. Most people with modern machines should have no issues. I use it as a glorified software link to the Nano, and use Foobar for playback

3. lowmans100

lowmans100

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +465
  4. rodney_nz

rodney_nz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    or 12 gig +optional micro sd card later fo £50 pre order though

so works out 20 gig for about £60

5. lowmans100

lowmans100

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +465
  6. Chanser

Chanser

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +290
  7. daisy143

daisy143
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Why don't bring sandisk 4GB only in £46.91 and save your rest money.

8. Steven

Steven
    Senior Moderator

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6,603
    It is worth mentioning the Fuze has SD card slot

Though the Nano and Sony have a better presentation with superior looks

9. GaryMo

GaryMo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +280
    Many thanks for all your comments though in the end I've looked past the Nano and have opted for the Sony NWZ-S639FS 16GB.
    I appreciate all the comments regarding the Sandisk but I felt the overall appearance of the Sony warranted the extra. I'll probably buy the Sony dock for it too for use on holiday etc.

10. jp_bl_68

jp_bl_68

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +458
    I recently bought a Sandisk Sansa Clip 8gb player. It's excellent. Great sound quality, compact, a decent amount of storage space, easy to use, automatically sorts files into folders, built in mic and FM radio tuner (which aren't too bad for a cheap player), comes with a USB cable and a set of earphones (which are actually quite good). I bought mine from PC World for 39.99gbp.

If all you want is something to play your music then it's excellent. If you read around you'll see that the Sansa Clip gets a lot of praise for the quality of sound it can produce. I can't recommend it highly enough.

Here's a Trusted Review of the 1gb player - SanDisk Sansa Clip (1GB) Review - MP3 Reviews - TrustedReviews I think they've updated some of the software since then.