Which 8800GT!

Pro_Gamestar

Standard Member
Reaction score
Hi I have narrowed down my choices between the Club 3d, leadtek and Gigabyte Nvidia 8800gt and I would just like some guidance on which one of these 3 I should finally decide to purchase.

Thanks for any help

Hi I have narrowed down my choices between the Club 3d, leadtek and Gigabyte Nvidia 8800gt and I would just like some guidance on which one of these 3 I should finally decide to purchase.

Thanks for any help

i have a leadtek for sale in the computer classifieds, will be removed after today if interested

[Moderator comment]all sales or trades to be conducted in the classified section only

I'd go for the cheapest GTX version you can find - the X is so much better and has 768Mb RAM :eek:

I bought mine here and it's been great, even though it's supposedly 'no name' all the workings are actually nVidia custom chips anyway, I've certainly had no problems with mine.

The GTX is still one of the best cards around however, the OP may have space/cost constraints.

The cards are all made by either Foxconn or Flextronics so in terms of difference you just need to see whether they have been pre-overclocked in any way and compare warranty's between them.

If cost is a problem you could try the Palit 8800 GT - I found this on this forum when I was hunting around. It is one of the cheapest 8800GTs that I have seen (apart from this which I believe is much the same, just not as quiet). At this price I am seriously tempted - would anyone else recommend this brand (for me or the OP).

Also -apologies to the OP for jumping in on this thread... but this is sort of related..... is there any real benefit for gaming in putting an 8800GT in a p4 3.0 Ghz rig? or would I really need to upgrade the CPU?

— As an Amazon Associate, AVForums earns from qualifying purchases —
If cost is a problem you could try the Palit 8800 GT - I found this on this forum when I was hunting around. It is one of the cheapest 8800GTs that I have seen (apart from this which I believe is much the same, just not as quiet). At this price I am seriously tempted - would anyone else recommend this brand (for me or the OP).

Also -apologies to the OP for jumping in on this thread... but this is sort of related..... is there any real benefit for gaming in putting an 8800GT in a p4 3.0 Ghz rig? or would I really need to upgrade the CPU?

Well I've ordered the cheaper one but it'll be a while before it turns up as it's 3-5 weeks delivery on it.

— As an Amazon Associate, AVForums earns from qualifying purchases —
Still hoping someone can answer this question. I am sort of hoping this will be OK and that I won't have to upgrade the mobo, cpu, case etc all at once (the missus :nono: has put the brakes on it:().

..... is there any real benefit for gaming in putting an 8800GT in a p4 3.0 Ghz rig? or would I really need to upgrade the CPU?

The processor is fine.....for most games, however, you may encounter a bottleneck on some select games like Crysis.

Thanks for the link, that is incredibly cheap, but 3 to 5 weeks is a bit long?

The processor is fine.....for most games, however, you may encounter a bottleneck on some select games like Crysis.

Thanks for the link, that is incredibly cheap, but 3 to 5 weeks is a bit long?

Thanks - I was hoping to go for all in one go and get a Dell XPS 420 for £584 today only....not bad for a Q6600, 3 Gb Ram, 640 HDD, 8800GT rig :thumbsup:.....but my missus reckons it is too close to my last set of toys :(.

So in order to keep me going I will probably get the 8800GT and stick it in my p4 3.0ghz .... as long as I can get QW:ET and COD4 on medium settings (on a 22" on 1680x1050) I'll be happy....for a wee while anyway....

Stick with the GT over the GTX, as you can see by my sig, its a definate GTX killer and with some good aftermarket cooling ( I use a Thermaltake Duorb ) you can overclock its as fast as a stock ultra.. all for about £175 :eek:

Stick with the GT over the GTX, as you can see by my sig, its a definate GTX killer and with some good aftermarket cooling ( I use a Thermaltake Duorb ) you can overclock its as fast as a stock ultra.. all for about £175 :eek:

Or go for a factory OC'd one, they tend to be aroubd £10-20 more expensive than the standard but you dont have to worry about voiding your warranty by overclocking/voltmodding or changing the cooler

Still hoping someone can answer this question. I am sort of hoping this will be OK and that I won't have to upgrade the mobo, cpu, case etc all at once (the missus :nono: has put the brakes on it:().
The card will still be allowed to do its thing although you would benefit from at least a dual core chip. You can always take the card and use it on your next rig and I'm sure you'll notice a step-up at that point too!

The card will still be allowed to do its thing although you would benefit from at least a dual core chip. You can always take the card and use it on your next rig and I'm sure you'll notice a step-up at that point too!

Thanks. I would love to upgrade the CPU, but as I currently have a Dell Dim 5000 and the last time I checked the mobo will not support the E6600/Q6600. This leaves me needing a new case, mobo to support a new CPU ... and you may as well throw in the memory as well..... sure why not a HDD as well..... so this is my issue. I think that I will start with a GPU and work on the rest.

as said before any of the 8800GT are much the same.

I have the gigabyte one and it's great - runs everything max'd out @ 1680 x 1050

Barbs, I have an 8800GT(Gainward 1GB GS) in the post right now, should be getting it mid next week. I'll be throwing it into a system with 3GHz 630 P4 CPU. Like yourself, I have to stagger my upgrade. Christmas was tough.

I'll run some benchmarks, 3dmark06, FEAR & possibly Crysis and let you know the results. Should be towards end of next week. CPU will be a bottleneck but I reckon there should still be good improvements.

2 things to be aware of, make sure you have enough physical space of the 8800GT and also that your PSU can handle it. I think 400W is the minimum recommended wattage.

Cheers
Shane

Thanks Shaneh.

I will need to check the space for the 8800GT - I assume that they are 2 slot cards. I have a Dell Dim 5000 and they are not the most flexible. The PSU shouldn't be an issue though as I already upgraded that to a Thermaltake purepower 550W....one less thing to worry about.

Out of interest can I ask where you got your card?

Barbs

Hey Barbs, I ordered my mine on komplett.ie, think they share the same stock as komplett.co.uk. The stock reference 8800GT are single slot but the version I chose is actually dual slot. I've seen on some forums that some of the initial 8800GT have overheating problems so I went with the Gainward GS. The cooler on it is supposed to good and more importantly quiet, I use mine in a HTPC. The reason I choose 1GB version over 512Mb was simply that it was in stock, it's been so hard to get the 8800GT, I had an XFX version on order from start of December but delivery kept getting pushed back, still not in stock.

If you can only go with single slot, I believe that XFX have used a fan that's 25% bigger than the stock version, so should be better at cooling and noise. However, it would be worth looking into the other models out there cause I think some versions now have Zalman coolers on them which should be good also.

Cheers
Shane

Hey Barbs, I ordered my mine on komplett.ie, think they share the same stock as komplett.co.uk.
Komplett.ie :eek: - I had no idea we had an ie... might help when upgrading and also when you consider the extortionate prices the uk sites charge for delivery to NI!

If you can only go with single slot, I believe that XFX have used a fan that's 25% bigger than the stock version, so should be better at cooling and noise. However, it would be worth looking into the other models out there cause I think some versions now have Zalman coolers on them which should be good also.

I think I might have to get a single slot card. Depending on the design of the card I may get away with a dual slot card or one with an additional/larger colling fan - see image below. The circuitry on the Dell mobo might block a larger card.....

Attachments

• IMG_2701 (2).jpg
    IMG_2701 (2).jpg
    229.5 KB · Views: 82
Barbs - A dual slot graphics card will not fit in that chassis unfortunately. A single slot only will work.

Barbs - A dual slot graphics card will not fit in that chassis unfortunately. A single slot only will work.

Thanks mate - I'll get hunting then. I was going for the Dell XPS420 offer, but the more I think on it I am sort of glad the missus intervened and put the brakes on. Going custom build will give me a sound base and also avoid issues such as this in the future.....plus half the fun of upgrading is in the research..

I doubt a dual slot would fit in there, better to go with single slot.

Quick question, is that a PCIe slot you have there, hard to tell from the photo. Also make sure you have enough clearance with that PSU and that it would not block any custom coolers or even the stock ones. Again from the photo is hard to tell the available space.

Going custom built from the base up is a great option (if you have to cash to start it!) as it gives alot more flexibility designing exactly what you want.

Cheers
Shane

I doubt a dual slot would fit in there, better to go with single slot.

Quick question, is that a PCIe slot you have there, hard to tell from the photo. Also make sure you have enough clearance with that PSU and that it would not block any custom coolers or even the stock ones. Again from the photo is hard to tell the available space.

Going custom built from the base up is a great option (if you have to cash to start it!) as it gives alot more flexibility designing exactly what you want.

Cheers
Shane

Yeah it is PCIe - just the one slot available. And that is not the PSU in the photo - just a bloody great internal fan and cooling fins:eek:! Noisy bugger! Still a problem though.... custom is definately the next step once the cash materialises!!! So far I have a PSU ... only the case,CPU, GPU, RAM, HDD etc to go :rotfl:

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom