Which 8 Mega Pixel Camera?

Discussion in 'Photography Forums' started by T0MAT01, Mar 7, 2005.

1. T0MAT01

T0MAT01

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +552
    Hi,
    I'm looking for a good quality 8 mega pixel camera for general use.
    I normally take pics of buildings and scenery if it makes any difference.

I've found a few on price runner and would like to know what people think is the best. They are:

Canon powershot pro1
    Olympus C-8080
    Sony CyberShot DSC-F828
    Nikon Coolpix 8800

I also like the sound of the new Canon 350D but as I understand it, it doesn't have any optical zoom unless you carry a zoom lens with you - is this correct?

Having looked at them they all look fairly similar in spec to me apart from the 'F' rating for the appature, so is there a genaral rule for which 'F' number gives the best photos? (I'm only used to my parent's Fuji FinePix 6800 which seems to use F2.8 for everything).

Thanks for any advice you can give!

2. seany

seany
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    THE 350 is a dslr, and by far the best choice . For the money you're spending you could get the 300D which is at a great price. Dslr's have as much opitcal zoom as u need. The strength is being able to change lenses none of the cams you've chosen can make up for that.

Dump all of the above and get the 300D for £499 with the starter lens and you will never look back

3. seany

seany
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
  4. T0MAT01

T0MAT01

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +552
    Thanks seany, thats what I thought a mate once told me, but I couldn't understand why the cameras don't cover the same F numbers - some only do high numbers etc. - I'll have a look at that link.

As I said before, I like the sound of the newer Canon 350D (not too worried about price - seen it for £660 pre order) but don't like the sound of 1x optical zoom (same with the 300D) so how do you mean "Dslr's have as much optical zoom as u need"? do you mean by changing the lens?

Thanks again,
    Chris.

5. seany

seany
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    BeacuseThe 350's body takes lenses. You buy the focal length you need for the camear. The kit lens that comes with it is 3x zoom 18-55mm. You can buy lenses that are 100-400mm.

You really need to do more research. The 350, kills your other choices stone dead. Forget about them and get the 350. Because it will open up a hole new world for you

Thats what a dslr has over the cams u chose. You can change lenses. So forget about 1x.

6. T0MAT01

T0MAT01

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +552
    More research it is!

With 3x optical zoom the 350d has shot to the top of the list!!!

Cheers a lot seany.

7. seany

seany
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Its the lens you see. You can switch lenses. Listen lenes are very important. The one that comes with the 350 body is a starter lens. Have a look here at some lenes that you could add to your camera http://www.fredmiranda.com/reviews/showcat.php?cat=27 some of these lenes cost more then the 350 itself. some twice as much almost.

But by far the best option is the get the 350 with the kit lens and then buy some lenses when u find out the typ of photos ect you like to take