Question Which 8-9m HFMI cable?

chownsie79

Established Member
Reaction score
Good Morning,

I'm planning out my cinema room and as always the most expensive cable is the one you didn't run!

I have the ceiling down, all speaker cables and 7 x cat6 cables go back to a hub (one to the projector location). In the hub is a Blustream PLA66L v1 6x6 matrix, which at the moment has only a sky box and bluray player as sources in and one TV out (HDMI over cat6 in a different location)

My question is, how do I connect a projector in the cinema room? I've run a cat6 to the location with the intention of connecting the projector to the matrix with HDMI over cat6, but I'm unsure if this is possible or if I'd need a certain projector to do this.... is it just better to run a HDMI cable, say 10m, to connect the projector to either the matrix or the AVR?

The other question is around controlling the hub located AVR, I guess I just connect this as a source to the matrix, then use one of the 6 cat6 cables and a balun with the IR receiver and an emitter on the other end?

As I'm not going to have a TV in there, what is the best use of the cat6? I was thinking 2 for data, 2 near the sub with one connected as above to control the AVR.... one in behind the light switch for furture Rako type systems???

@Joe Fernand I know you're usually really helpful with these sort of questions :)

Thanks

HDMI over CAT - you can use with any Projector equipped with an HDMI Input socket.

4K UHD - with its various add-ons (HDR, DV, etc) is a challenge for 'over CAT' solutions as they lack the bandwidth to carry a full bandwidth signal uncompressed, the best solutions utilise HDBT and 'visually lossless' compression and will offer the full range of supporting features (though they can cost a lot of money).

Conduit - and a pull cord is your best future proofing if access to the ceiling space will be restricted once you close up the room

RuiPro Hybrid Fibre HDMI - is what we would suggest/supply for any 8m or longer HDMI cable runs.

Connectivity - once you introduce a Matrix you have to be careful with signal management as you often find the Cinema Room has very different capabilities to secondary zones around the house, which can have an impact on the signal format of Source devices you wish to view in the Cinema Room.

Control - has to be planned out as many devices are now Bluetooth rather than IR so less easy to integrate via the IR Routing an 'over CAT' solutions has to offer. Most AVR's and Source devices now offer 'app' control as an option too.

Joe

HDMI over CAT - you can use with any Projector equipped with an HDMI Input socket.

4K UHD - with its various add-ons (HDR, DV, etc) is a challenge for 'over CAT' solutions as they lack the bandwidth to carry a full bandwidth signal uncompressed, the best solutions utilise HDBT and 'visually lossless' compression and will offer the full range of supporting features (though they can cost a lot of money).

You mention 'the best solutions utilise HDBT, I'm confused as the 4k matrix is HDBT?

I'll be sure to measure the distance and make sure it is over 8m, what is the price of an 8m Rubipro cable?

Connectivity - once you introduce a Matrix you have to be careful with signal management as you often find the Cinema Room has very different capabilities to secondary zones around the house, which can have an impact on the signal format of Source devices you wish to view in the Cinema Room.

The source device would be the projector, so how do you think this will be impacted?

Control - has to be planned out as many devices are now Bluetooth rather than IR so less easy to integrate via the IR Routing an 'over CAT' solutions has to offer. Most AVR's and Source devices now offer 'app' control as an option too.

Would you suggest something like Logitec Harmony here? How would I set this up in the Cinema Room or at least mitigate against any potential issues before I board up the room...

The other consideration is around viewing Sky content etc in the Cinema Room, so I need to be able to use the projector for viewing Sky, 4K Bluray etc, so it will need to be used alongside the matrix.

Matrix - is based around the HDBT chip set, what you then have to confirm is which Features it supports (HDBT is a family of products with differing capabilities).

Matrix - where you can run into problems is where you have a Source device which is capable of 4K UHD, HDR, DV, Atmos etc and your Cinema Room AVR and Display (Projector in your case) are also capable of those formats and you then add zones such as the Kitchen and Bedrooms where you have TV's which are HD, Stereo audio only... the Source potentially has to down grade its output to match the lesser Zones.

Connectivity - depending on the capabilities of the secondary Zones some Sources may have to bypass the Matrix and connect direct to the Cinema Room AVR (for optimum audio and video) and then add additional 'whole house' Sources to the Matrix.

System - you will have to outline what capabilities you have in each Zone and which Source devices you wish to see/hear in each Zone.

Projector - is not normally a Source, it is a Sink (Output device).

Harmony - could work, again you would need to identify each device you want to control and confirm it has IR rather than Bluetooth. Harmony can work through walls if you go with one of the RF options.

Joe

Matrix - is based around the HDBT chip set, what you then have to confirm is which Features it supports (HDBT is a family of products with differing capabilities).

Matrix - where you can run into problems is where you have a Source device which is capable of 4K UHD, HDR, DV, Atmos etc and your Cinema Room AVR and Display (Projector in your case) are also capable of those formats and you then add zones such as the Kitchen and Bedrooms where you have TV's which are HD, Stereo audio only... the Source potentially has to down grade its output to match the lesser Zones.

Ah this makes sense, I'll have to look at our other TV, as we only have one at the moment - maybe I'd just need to upgrade this in future, plus upgrade the Sky Box to SkyQ..... we are not really using the matrix at the moment, it was a bit of a knee jerk purchase a few years ago now - so it is used for the TV, but only one zone!

I guess if I get myself the HDMI cable, I can connect the projector directly into the AVR anyway, then it is just a question of controlling the AVR remotely and figuring our how I view Sky and Bluray's in the Cinema Room. I guess Sky and Bluray players can connect directly to the AVR anyway.

I want to control the Sky Box, Bluray player (4k still to purchase), AVR - that is it at the moment..

Matrix - if going to SKY Q and having only a couple of TV's in the system it is likely you will not require a Matrix.

AVR > Projector - the RuiPro Hybrid Fibre cable will be ideal and connect the Sources direct to the AVR.

Control - a Harmony (possibly with the RF Basestation option) would cover your Cinema Zone.

Joe

Matrix - if going to SKY Q and having only a couple of TV's in the system it is likely you will not require a Matrix.
Thanks Joe

I'll let you tell my wife, she will not be happy! £3k in the AV world isn't much but I bought that Matrix, left it in the box for a year or so then eventually connected it to one TV, I have cabled the rest of the house though, we just haven't yet put TV's anywhere else. Does SKY Q cover a couple of TV's then? How does that work in a hub?

The other TV is HDMI over CAT6 to the matrix, I could use the AVR's twin outputs with one to the Matrix and one to the cinema room, therefore scaling down our current Sky (not Q) to 1080p but having the eventual 4K bluray player in 4k...to cinema room.

How are you with Rako stuff? Or is Lutron better. I like there is multiple choice on things but it makes it difficult when you're not an expert :)

Matrix - 3K is a huge chunk of cash in anyones books.

SKY Q - if you want 4K UHD from SKY in the Cinema you will require the 2TB Box which then requires all connected devices are 4K UHD/HDCP 2.2 capable.

SKY also offer's the 1080p capable Mini box's (which pair to the main box) for use in other rooms - you could put 2 or 3 of those around the house or connect to the Matrix to be shared around multiple zones. You also have the option to view SKY on a Tablet/Mobile device.

AVR - what do you have, very few offer the ability to down-convert 4K UHD to HD on a second HDMI Output, most will simply mirror the primary Output (you could then add a device to down convert UHD to HD - though that will cost more than a Mini [Ex the £12/monthly sub]).

Rako/Lutron - other folk on our Install team look after that stuff, mostly we will use Lutron and Crestron.

Joe

. Does SKY Q cover a couple of TV's then? How does that work in a hub?
I've just had SkyQ installed. Only need the extra box for the bedroom, you have to take at least one as you get charged for it anyway. Nice to have the HD channels instead of having to rely on Freeview and you can programme any recordings from any box in the house.

Picture quality from the 2TB box isn't too bad, Game of Thrones aside, but there are very few programmes in UHD on Sky. I also have Netflix in the package but Netflix on Sky lacks HDR unlike the app on my Panny OLED. There is no firm date for the HDR upgrade on Sky, something they are really lagging behind in compared to their competitors and I do feel somewhat short changed by that.

I've just had SkyQ installed. Only need the extra box for the bedroom, you have to take at least one as you get charged for it anyway. Nice to have the HD channels instead of having to rely on Freeview and you can programme any recordings from any box in the house.

Picture quality from the 2TB box isn't too bad, Game of Thrones aside, but there are very few programmes in UHD on Sky. I also have Netflix in the package but Netflix on Sky lacks HDR unlike the app on my Panny OLED. There is no firm date for the HDR upgrade on Sky, something they are really lagging behind in compared to their competitors and I do feel somewhat short changed by that.
I've not taken the plunge on Sky Q yet, my issues is the one and only TV we have in our house at the moment is wall mounted - with no way of running the connecting cable for the Mini box unless I have it on show - see photo.

I was advise on here some time ago to run 6 x cat6 plus a coax to each TV location, but I have all TV locations (most covered by a picture) on the walls in this house.

I've attached a photograph of the hub as well. I have a way to run cables from here to the cinema room, so no issue running the HDMI cable.

Attachments

• matrix and rack.jpg
    matrix and rack.jpg
    2.5 MB · Views: 38
  • TV.jpg
    TV.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 35
SKY also offer's the 1080p capable Mini box's (which pair to the main box) for use in other rooms - you could put 2 or 3 of those around the house or connect to the Matrix to be shared around multiple zones. You also have the option to view SKY on a Tablet/Mobile device.
Just seen this - so I could have one of these additionally to the current TV via the matrix..

It's all becoming expensive now, with the whole cinema to buy - I guess cables are the most important bit and anything else can be added on...

The launch of SKY Q, a reduction in the monthly Multi-room Sub, the availability of Smart TV's with multiple streaming services at all price points and the reduction in cost of items such as ATV 4K, Sheild TV etc has meant a big shift in the 'distributed home' landscape.

Very few Matrix are now sold into the Residential market vs. where the market was at up to 2017.

If you do wish to move to SKY Q then the norm would be 1 x 2TB Main Box (Outputting 4k UHD) to the Cinema Room (I would run one of our RuiPro Hybrid Fibre cables to cater for uncompressed 4K UHD) plus 1 (or more) Min Box's (Outputting 1080p/1080i) via the Matrix to any other Zones over the dual CAT Extenders.

Joe

If you do wish to move to SKY Q then the norm would be 1 x 2TB Main Box (Outputting 4k UHD) to the Cinema Room (I would run one of our RuiPro Hybrid Fibre cables to cater for uncompressed 4K UHD) plus 1 (or more) Min Box's (Outputting 1080p/1080i) via the Matrix to any other Zones over the dual CAT Extenders.
Thanks Joe,

I need to measure up, it may be that this is less than 8m or I can move the AVR higher in the hub to achieve less than 8m, I guess then I can use a good quality HDMI cable.....

Up to 8m you can try a Premium High Speed copper cable - where possible ensure you test it before you 'install' the cable, we moved to our RuiPro cables a while back on all installs unless we were running short cables.

Joe

Up to 8m you can try a Premium High Speed copper cable - where possible ensure you test it before you 'install' the cable, we moved to our RuiPro cables a while back on all installs unless we were running short cables.

Joe

thats all we use now Joe as well

the Ruipro cables "just work"

Allan :clap:

Joe
Hi Joe,

Cable ordered, hopefully I have all the cables I need now!!

The latest video from AVForums

Is Home Theater DEAD in 2024?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom