Dismiss Notice
Attention AVForums app / Tapatalk users
Sadly GDPR means that, from 25th, we can no longer offer access to AVForums via the branded app or Tapatalk.
Click here for more information.

Which 7.1 Av Receiver ??

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by naudelp, Jun 8, 2004.

1. naudelp

naudelp

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi guys,

I'm new to this forum and it looks like a great site. I need some advice. I've saved up a bit off money and looking into upgrading my home cinema system.

Av receiver = Denon AVR 3805 £899.00
    DVD PLAYER = Pioneer DV-868AVi-S (£769.00) or Denon DV -2900 ?
    7.1 SPEAKERS Really confused where are so many to choose from, i'm willing to spent £1500.00 and £2000.00 on speakers. My room size is 4.2m x 3.90m no windows only big french doors.

Looking at some reviews the Denon AVR 3805 seems pretty good so does the Pioneer DV-868avi-s, but when it comes to speakers then i'm not sure.

Any help will be much appreciated.

Louis

2. Dfour

Dfour

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +86
    To get the best from the I-link on the pioneer you should look at the Pioneer AX5i for about £850.

Are you wanting floor standing speakers? Have you looked or listened to any speakers yet?

3. Kazman

Kazman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +142
    The AX5i is a good choice to match up with the 868.

Speakers, why not go for the Mordaunt Short 500 THX Select range, should easily fit into your budget, and they sound awesome, heard them at the last Bristol A/V show.

Go for another Sub though, Mordaunt Short MS909 would be a good buy, and match with the speakers.

That would be one awesome system!!

4. Dave Gray

Dave Gray
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I've got the Denon 3805 and it sings with my Kef Q5/Q9C/Q1/Q2DS speakers. However the icing on the cake is the SVS PC Ultra Sub. The sheer low end extention (down to 12Hz!) trounces virtually any sub this side of £2K - Absolutely frightening subwoofer! :eek:
    The Denon has all the latest processing features, PLIIx, new Neo6 etc, is fantastic with CDs in 2 channel and is awesome in full 7.1! I went for it over the Pioneer AX5i mostly due to better all round performance. Slightly better in Home Cinema mode but for upscaling 2 channel to 7.1 its untouchable and CD playback seems to be much better. Get youself a demo, only your ears will tell you whats the best one!
    The latest Denon DVD Players are supposed to be fantastic, but if you've got a plasma TV then I would highly reccomend any of the Arcam players. The DV88plus and 78 can be bought for silly money at the moment and give stunning pictures in PAL progressive scan (They are also brilliant CD players, a rarity in the DVD player world). See the link below.

http://209.167.103.167/hotdeals_home.htm

Regards and enjoy your shopping!
    Dave :smashin:

5. Docta teef

Docta teef

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +56
    Do remember that the fronts for the ms 500's do already have built in subs.
    My only concern is that the system might endup being a bit "big" for the room size you could concider the 900's as well

6. ADC

ADC

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +56
    If you get chance try and audition the M&K speakers i currently use with my Pioneer
    a5i receiver & 757ai dvd player. I have three K7 across the front and four K4 surrounds
    and a K9 sub. They cost me £2300 but you can get 3 x k7 , 2 x K4 and a K9 sub
    for around £1800. I think they sound superb but the choice is yours.

7. naudelp

naudelp

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Many thanks for all your advice guys, what a great forum :smashin: