1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Which 6600 is best, is there a fanless/quiet one?

Discussion in 'Desktop & Laptop Computers Forum' started by dekoded, Jun 9, 2005.

1. dekoded

dekoded

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +45
    Hi all, I did a search of the forums but couldn't find any posts relating to this...

From what I can gather the nvidia 6600 cards are good for HTPC's as they can use hardware instead of software for processing video, which should take some load off the CPU.

What I would like to know is which version of the 6600 should I go for and which, if any, are fanless or at least as quiet as possible and are slim enough to fit into my shuttle cube?

Also, I currently have a GF4MX420 (stop laughing, it was free), will I really notice a big improvement in PQ

any help/advice appreciated :lease:

I have a 3200+ cpu, 512mb ram, winXP PRO, TT + FFDSHOW

2. KraGorn

KraGorn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    AGP or PCI-e? I believe there's at least one fanless PCI-e version (Gigabyte perhaps?), not sure about AGP due to the hacked-up PCI->AGP bridge chip.

As far as 'best' is concerned, IMHO and IMX there's little to choose between brands of this sort of card, they're all using basically the same chipset and whateer tweaks and twiddles they manage to do addy maybe a % or 2 to performance, nothing of any real note.

Also, be careful what you mean by "use hardware for video processing", only part of the processing is unique to the 6600, ATIs also do a lot. Moreover, simply using less CPU power per se achieves nothing unless you need that for something else, and in an HTPC the only thing that would be is post-processing .. and if you do that then you'll not be running in hardware mode in the first place. :)

3. betamac

betamac

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Not true in my case m8

Having the 6600 and hardware video processing means i can use AMD's Cool N Quiet, so the CPU can be running at only 1GHz when i am watching DVDs or Hidef Material etc, that means ALOT less heat is produced so i can have minimal airflow in the PC by turning down all fans, this makes a big difference to my system noise overall.

Without that hardware encoding the CPU would be running flat out when it does not need to and that means more heat and more noise.

4. TheCrow

TheCrow

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +41
    Gigabyte do fanless nVidia 6600GT cards

PCIe GV-NX66T128VP

AGP GV-N66T128VP

Both have VIVO and come with a component breakout capable of HD res'

Personally using the PCIe one and would recommend it. :smashin: