Question Which 65in

Discussion in 'OLED TVs Forum' started by bogart99, Jun 12, 2019.

Tags:
  1. bogart99

bogart99

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +67
    Narrowing my list down to 3, well probably in fact 2 they are

Panasonic TX-65FZ952B

LG OLED 65C8PLA

Philips 65OLED803

As much as I love the ambilight on my current Philips I cannot see the justification in spending
    £1000 more on the Philips over the other two. The price of the Philips just does not seem to
    have come down since its release.

So is a two horse race. One minute I decide on one then the next it is the other.
    Currently I mainly, and for the foreseeable future, watch predominantly SD content, so a good
    upscaler is a must. A 4K player will be on the shopping list at some point but for now will
    stick with BluRay discs.

I like the fact the Panasonic has twin satellite tuners whereas the UK LG only has one.

As I cannot find anything to the contrary I am assuming that plugging in a set of headphones mutes the speakers. On my current Philips that is not the case, to mute the speakers one has to go into the menu. As I spend probably 50% of my time using headphones I find this ideal as one is not constantly plugging and unplugging them.

So I am still undecided, prices are very similar so not being pushed one way or another on that
    score.
    I will then sort of make my mind up then another spanners pops into the works such as the LG
    E8 is only £200 more than the C8

I might just put them into a hat and pull one out!

2. fat jez

fat jez

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +915
    If Dolby Vision is important to you, only the LG and the 2019 Panasonic models support it (the Panasonic you list is last year's model).

3. bogart99

bogart99

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +67
    No idea as to if it will be now or in the future. As the LG do not support HDR10+ I suppose I could wait for an all singing and dancing tv ie this years Panasonic at a greatly increased cost. Mind you calling it this years model when we are half way through June makes me laugh!

4. gibbsy

gibbsy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7,921
    The Panasonic has outstanding picture quality out of the box. Coming from a fully calibrated Panasonic plasma I was really impressed. The 802 has HDR10+ but will not get DV. SD upscaling is very good and 1080 upscaled beit from broadcast or disc is excellent. For the current prices of both the LG and Panny it's worth a punt rather than waiting for the more expensive new models. I stayed with Panasonic after having a delightful six trouble free years with a VT plasma, simple as that.

5. bogart99

bogart99

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +67
    The 802 is currently dearer than the 952 in some places figure that one out! Appears is possible to get DV via a firmware upgrade if electronics up to it. As panasonic are not going down that route assume is a no. See now your tempting me to buy one now. I cannot win lol.

Last edited: Jun 12, 2019
  6. bogart99

bogart99

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +67
    Now to chuck another angle into the ring the 65GX800B does all the formats and costs £400 less than the 65FZ952 . Obviously is not an OLED. Should it be OLED or nothing these days? I do tend to do most of my viewing in a fairly dark room so think OLED would be better. Now with the 65FZ952 having its own soundbar, and probably needing to buy one for
    the GX800B the price difference has shrunk. God why did I pose this question?

7. thepilot

thepilot
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    Also doing the same sort of reading myself at the moment.

I think I'm set on the LG Panel - but for the life of me struggling between the 65C9 and E9.
    Also considered the Phillips (sad I can't see one anywhere!) and not sure on the feature support compared to the likes of LG too.

Has anyone compared the 2 models above? Thoughts on material differences?

8. Waynej

Waynej

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,352
    I'd recommend the Panasonic over LG. Picture quality is spot on out of the box. I see several people report paying for a calibration and that they consider the difference subtle on the Panasonic, and the LG is well worth the additional cost to calibrate. Pricing was a factor for me and I didn't want to have the additional expense of a calibration.

The other bonus is upscaling and motion were more to my liking on the Panasonic, granted if you care for Dolby Vision then you won't get that on the 2018 Panasonic - although on the flip-side you won't get HDR10+ on the LG.

LG has other benefits in addition to DV; 4 full bandwidth HDMI's, DD+ Atmos passthrough, and frankly the best TV OS on the market.

I haven't used the Philips so can't comment on that.

If you want both DV and HDR10+ the 2019 Panasonic range have both, and the launch pricing is far more competitive this year. It'll be Black Friday and beyond before they get near to the level of the current FZ802/952 pricing though.

9. P Adams

P Adams

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +119
    I recommend the Panasonic as well. We have a 65FZ802 OLED since October 2018 and could not be happier with the picture and motion. It's great with HD terrestrial, SKY HD, Blu-ray and 4K blu-ray. SD films look a bit ropey but hey ho!

Came from a THX calibrated 50" Pioneer Kuro LX5090 plasma of 10 years ownership (my sister has it now and loves it!). We had an LG 65E7 for a month before the FZ and didn't like the picture or motion so it got sent back.

Panny is a great replacement for our Kuro. Probably not a good idea to tell my wife it may not last as long as the Kuro though :D

10. thepilot

thepilot
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    So the TX65GZ1000B comes out this month at an attractive price tag with HDR10+ and DV. You’d take this over the LG then?

Thanks for responses - want to buy once / buy right etc!

11. Tegs200

Tegs200

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +78
    I swapped my 802 after 2 weeks as I hated the micro stutter for a LG E8 and for me it's a better viewing experience and just a nicer tv to navigate and use with it's interface, 802 had a great picture but I was to sensitive to the stutter.

12. bogart99

bogart99

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +67
    TX65GZ1000B is around £2800 which is a grand more than the TX65FZ952B a lot in my mind for DV and all 4 HDMIs being the business.
    Mind you the TX65GZ950 is only £700 more, only difference I see in them is the stand. Seems one hell of a difference, £300, when all that differs is a stand. And as I would be wall mounting
    the 950 would be the obvious choice. So it is FZ925 at £1800 or the GZ950 at £2500

13. MrHavana

MrHavana
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I've been looking at the FZ802. Are you planning to wall mount the FZ952 with the stand? The soundbar attaches to the stand so without the stand it's going to be tricky to mount the soundbar. The FZ952 doesn't have built in speakers either so it's soundbar or nothing (or another audio output). The soundbar has a proprietary connector too, which plugs in to the lower front edge of the screen so you can't play around with placement.

FZ802 is the way to go for wall mounting I believe.

14. bogart99

bogart99

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +67
    Should be no problem mounting soundbar on wall as is designed for that as well as on the stand. Stock is drying up though.