Which 65" OLED

gingerone

Hi everyone,

About to pull the trigger on a 65" OLED and torn between 3 models;

Panasonic HZ980
LG BX
LGA1

all are available around the £1500 mark.

I'm leaning towards the Panasonic as it shouldn't have the Cyan tint on whites but the lack of Disney + is a pain as we use that a lot.

Anything else I need to consider between these sets?

tvdavid

defo Panasonic out of them the C1 may go down a little black Friday too.

generalgizmo

Only thing with the Panasonic is its a 50hz panel on the hz980 so won't be as fluid as the hz1000 and above... been told that a couple times now by folks on here and in richersounds...

gingerone

Only thing with the Panasonic is its a 50hz panel on the hz980 so won't be as fluid as the hz1000 and above... been told that a couple times now by folks on here and in richersounds...
Is that correct?
I thought the only difference was lack of options around BFI and some motion options?

generalgizmo

There were a few people mentioning a few problems watching blurays on a thread here frame skipping and RS told me it uses a different chip to the hz1000 and above.. I was looking to get a hz1000.. then 1500 from RS but all sold out ..then a few 1000s were popping up on sites but selling for £1900...
There are a few ex display 1000s on sites with 5yr warranty at reduced price though.. depends what you want tv for..?? For blurays the Panasonic is very cinematic like a plasma

gingerone

There were a few people mentioning a few problems watching blurays on a thread here frame skipping and RS told me it uses a different chip to the hz1000 and above.. I was looking to get a hz1000.. then 1500 from RS but all sold out ..then a few 1000s were popping up on sites but selling for £1900...
There are a few ex display 1000s on sites with 5yr warranty at reduced price though.. depends what you want tv for..?? For blurays the Panasonic is very cinematic like a plasma
I’ve seen the frame skipping issue on 24fps content, I was under the impression it happens on the 1000 as well though.
Can’t find any references to it being a 50hz panel though.
Will be using it for TV and movies mainly through streaming services but occasionally Blu ray

generalgizmo

I’ve seen the frame skipping issue on 24fps content, I was under the impression it happens on the 1000 as well though.
Can’t find any references to it being a 50hz panel though.
Will be using it for TV and movies mainly through streaming services but occasionally Blu ray

I didn't know until I asked about that particular model in the shop as it seemed such a bargain I paid more for a 55 ez952 3 yrs ago... then I rang RS sales about what they had in stock and the guy on the phone said it was a different chip and 50hz panel why it was less.. but by any means if possible worth checking it out for yourself in store if you get a chance and your eyes will be the best judge

martin 39

Fair enough i have both sony and panasonic oleds and can tell no difference with the sony in custom mode

generalgizmo

Well that doesn’t make my life any easier lol
Tbh.... if you're near a richersounds/ sevenoaks etc and they have a demo room ring em up and tell them you want to spend some money.. what I did when I got my ez.. had a Sony a1 , Panasonic ez and saw LG c7.. in the demo room had lights off put on couple of my own blurays and messed about with picture settings.. left with the Panasonic as most cinematic.. now I'm sticking with Panasonic for oled as like their natural cinematic picture (plasma like).. have a hz2000 arriving tomorrow but some like Sony LG for gaming or features.. they're all good and have they're own strengths..
I wouldn't spend money anywhere where they're not willing to let me have the remote

gingerone

Can’t seem to find the A8 for less than £1799 online
Tbh.... if you're near a richersounds/ sevenoaks etc and they have a demo room ring em up and tell them you want to spend some money.. what I did when I got my ez.. had a Sony a1 , Panasonic ez and saw LG c7.. in the demo room had lights off put on couple of my own blurays and messed about with picture settings.. left with the Panasonic as most cinematic.. now I'm sticking with Panasonic for oled as like their natural cinematic picture (plasma like).. have a hz2000 arriving tomorrow but some like Sony LG for gaming or features.. they're all good and have they're own strengths..
I wouldn't spend money anywhere where they're not willing to let me have the remote

Ive viewed a Somy A8 and and LG C1, nowhere near me has a Panasonic I can view that I’m aware of but will double check

Sloppy Bob

Distinguished Member
Sorry wasn't aware the HZ980 was a 50Hz panel. That I believe is also the case with the LG A1.

The LG BX doesn't get as bright as the CX.

martin 39

I must of been lucky i was in j lewis on opening day of lockdown and got a 65 a8 for £1500. It was between that and the panasonic for me and at the time for £1500 it was a no brainer compared to the price of a hz1000. The savings paid for the new amp

gingerone

I must of been lucky i was in j lewis on opening day of lockdown and got a 65 a8 for £1500. It was between that and the panasonic for me and at the time for £1500 it was a no brainer compared to the price of a hz1000. The savings paid for the new amp
That’s a steal

supersonic 395

Hi everyone,

About to pull the trigger on a 65" OLED and torn between 3 models;

Panasonic HZ980
LG BX
LGA1

all are available around the £1500 mark.

I'm leaning towards the Panasonic as it shouldn't have the Cyan tint on whites but the lack of Disney + is a pain as we use that a lot.

Anything else I need to consider between these sets?

Disney+ is now on the Panasonic so that's one less thing

gingerone

After reading up on the motion performance on the HZ980 I'm now leaning towards the LG BX instead.
It's a lot of money to spend to be disappointed by juddery motion on blu rays

martin 39

I find it much better than my panasonic and i rarely use my apple tv. Costco at the weekend was £1499.the day i brought mine i missed one at j lewis outlet for £1260. Sold while i was on the phone to them. I find the best deals are always going into j lewis stores. There is usually a few tvs about in damage boxes or store returns

The latest video from AVForums

AVForums Movies Podcast: Which is the best decade for horror movies?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Latest News

LG rumoured to release 97-inch OLED TV in 2022
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
What's new on Blu-ray (UK) for Halloween 2021
  • By Mark Costello
  • Published
AVForums Movies Podcast: 20th October 2021
  • By Phil Hinton
  • Published
PSB announces M4U 8 MKII wireless headphone