Which 60" / 65" - £2k budget?

wozwebs

Prominent Member
Reaction score
Bought the Sony KD65XD8599 from Costco for £1499 but it has light bleed in the bottom corner and it's not really giving me the wow factor I have seen looking at other sets. It's also, slight TOO big for the room if i'm 100% honest. I will be sat exactly 8ft from the screen and I am almost having to move head left to right to see all the action. Watching Narcos in 4k on Netflix I was finding myself reading the subtitles then having to look up and left and right to see the action then look back at the subtitles. I have a 50" in the lounge already but this will go in new cinema room so want to go big so am thinking a 60" will be the sweet spot although having had the 65" in place I may regret going smaller. Its not a massive leap though 60" to 65".

I have narrowed search down to the following

Samsung UE60KS7000 - £1599 at JL with 1/2 price UHD Blu Ray player option
Samsung UE65KS8000 - £2199 at JL with 1/2 price UHD Blu Ray player option (slightly over, not sure if worth the extra for next model up and 5" extra?)
Panasonic Viera 65DX750B - £1699 at JL

I have also looked at the Panasonic DX902 58" which looks great but smaller size and screen was pretty reflective / not sure on leant back screen.

Ive seen all in the flesh and all impressive. My main concern is light bleed again as I will be watching in the dark, late at night predominantly.

Thoughts on the above, especially from owners would be most appreciated. Must be flat too as I can't stand curved panels.

The Sony you own uses an IPS panel so it's particularly bad for viewing in the dark. The ultimate viewing experience would be downsizing and going with a 55 inch OLED but keeping big any of the options you've mentioned are good buys. I'm not sure there's enough benefits to warrant a KS8 over KS7 though. Maybe you could also consider the Sony XD93? it's in a different class to the Sony you have now.

If you watch lots of HDR the Sony and Samsung's will be better. Otherwise the Panasonic is just as good.

Thanks for the reply. I picked up an LG OLED B6 55" on Wednesday and immediately impressed, however with more tinkering when it is good it's absolutely amazing but in some dark scenes the pixels are all pulsating lots. Netflix 4K is main one I've tried. Narcos is particularly bad. I think that's the way it's been shot, quite grainy and gritty though. House of Cards looks better but still not as lush a picture as I had hoped. HD demos on YouTube looks fantastic and Sky Q 4K also good. Think I need to play with the settings more first but blacks won't be beaten on this set compared with LCD/LED.

One of the complaints with the OLEDs are small inaccuracies at near to black levels (banding) and changes in screen luminance depending on the scene. Perhaps this is what you're noticing? Still though, the pluses by far outweigh the minuses and they are by far the best TVs. No TV is without it's niggles and LCDs have more.

I would also try some less compressed HDR/UHD sources if you get an UHD Blu-ray player too, there will be a big difference in quality between compressed online streams and TV channels compared to UHD Blu-ray. Also did you try demoing HDR yet?

The latest video from AVForums

Is Home Theater DEAD in 2024?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom