1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Which 6 or 7 speakers ?????????

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Speakers' started by JSW, Dec 24, 2002.

1. JSW

JSW

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +333
    Have just ordered a Tag AV32R BP192 EX 7.1

Will more than likely get Rotel 1075 and 1080 amps.

Now I'm looking for 6 or maybe 7 identical speakers to go with the CHT 15 Sub i have allready.

I don't want to spend a great amount so ruling out M&K for now but may upgrade to them at some time in the distant future.

I'm thinking more along the lines of 6 Kef Q1's so could I have some ideas please as what else to be looking at.
    Oh and I don't want balls :D and they must be wife friendly.

Many Thanks
    Bry

Oh and Merry Christmas to you all :)

2. uncle eric

uncle eric

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Bry,
    A little more expensive than the Q1's but worth the money are these (I sounded like Yoda then)
    http://www.quad-hifi.co.uk/11l.htm
    Three pairs should do you nicely.

Attached Files:

3. JSW

JSW

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +333
    hehehe thats who was on the phone then :D jk

4. GaryG

GaryG
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Hi Bryan

What's the distance between the intended side and rear speaker location to your ears at your normal listening position?

5. JSW

JSW

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +333
    Hi Gary,

rear right would be 8ft from me rear left would be 6 ft from me
    centre rear would be 3ft behind me and a few feet higher.

This is due to my screen is not in the exact centre as my room shape dosn't allow it to go anymore to the right.

I sit behind the ceiling mounted pj a couple of feet, about 11 - 12 ft from screen.

My current rears are mounted on the back wall and are both approximately 5 feet from me.

(Eric my room is a little smaller than I said on phone)

6. GaryG

GaryG
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Bryan

I had 2x KEF Q15 sides and 2x KEF Q15 rear, all upgraded to use the same Uni-Q array as fitted to the top of the range Reference 4. The Q1 is the replacement for the Q15 so I think you will be very pleased with them (if you like the KEF sound) although the short distance to the rear speaker could be an issue, a single dipole located directly behind you may be better.

With regard to your choice of amplification I would be inclined to go for better quality for the front three channels and lower quality for the sides and rears as they play a smaller part in the overall scheme of things. That way, later down the line you will only need to upgrade half your amps instead of all of them, and in the mean-time will have better quality sound for CD. I know you have an SACD player on order but there is vastly more material available on CD than SACD at the moment so spend the money where it counts the most.

7. JSW

JSW

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +333
    Hi Gary,

What amps should I be considering then and should I go 7.1 or stay 6.1 ?

My thinking is 7.1 the rear centres could be a bit further from me but then again most people recommend putting them close together ??

Very confusing :confused:

8. GaryG

GaryG
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Hi Bryan

I use 7.1 with dipoles on the sides and rear. My initial reaction after switching from the Q15's was that, because of the 'null' listening position, it would probably be better to just have a 6.1 system with a single dipole for the rear as it's not possible to sit in the 'null' position with two rear dipole speakers. I've now got used to the sound of the two rear dipoles and don't give it any more thought but a 6.1 system saves you some money on the extra amp and speaker and could possibly sound better, I've not had the opportunity to evaluate such a setup so can't comment, my processor isn't capable of 6.1.

With regard to the choice of amps, well that would depend on your listening habits. If you are only interested in HC then Rotel would be fine, if you listen to music on a regular basis I would look for a good stereo amp for the L/R channels, or if the budget will allow, a pair of monoblocs, better still, three monoblocs across the front.

I know the sort of sound I like, but you may like a completely different sound so you really need to hear the TAG and Q1 with some amps to see what your taste is. You are investing a lot of money in your new system, try and listen to as many setups as possible before you take the plunge.

9. JSW

JSW

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +333
    Gary,

I plan on using a 1080 for front L/R and the 1075 for rears and centres.

I am very tempted by the Quad 11L's and they have very good reviews.

Regarding the rears, would ceiling speakers or in wall speakers be better choice. Though would have to look at another brand then :confused:

Im Sticking to the 2 Rotel amps as they fit in whith what I want to pay at the moment.

I can upgrade to Tag amps in the future 100x5r.10

Actually thinking about it and reading a few threads at AVS would I be better looking for a 7 Channel amp???

Cheers
    Bry

10. GaryG

GaryG
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Bryan

If space is an issue ceiling or in-wall speakers would be a good choice but a lot more hassle than just plonking speakers on a stand. Also, they are not very popular and would have little re-sale value if you decide to upgrade, best to stick with normal speakers I would suggest. Additionally, normal speakers are easy to position to get the best from them, you can't really go cutting holes in the ceiling in an ad-hoc fashion to find the best location.

Multi-channel amps are great, they take up less space than single amps and are less likely to cause arguments with the other half. However, there are some tradeoffs. They tend to share a common power supply so from a sonic point of view don't fair as well as monoblocs or stereo amps and if you are not happy with the sound quality or want to upgrade you can't do it in stages you have to change the whole amp.

You need to stop reading reviews now and go and have a listen to the kit on your short-list and see if you like it. Whatever you do, don't just go a buy it without listening first, you don't want to make a costly mistake.

11. JSW

JSW

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +333
    I know but its damn difficult round here :(

I'm scheduled in soon at the batcave so will get to see and here the Tag in action also the MPS speakers which I may upgrade to at another time.

The Rotels I feel I can purchase without demoing, they are gonna sound outstanding to what i'm used too and I only want them for about 12 months before I start looking at better amps.

Same with the Quads, but im still not 100% on them yet.
    I would buy them Rocket speakers i mention in another thread immediately if they where available here and am still infact considering getting them anyway as even with shipping and import duty I think they are still a stunning bargain.

Gary, if you don't mind could you possible pm me your setup?
    I may be able to take you up on your offer of a demo between the 1st and 4th jan sometime if it suits you.

Thanks
    Bry

12. GaryG

GaryG
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    No problem with the demo, I'm at work during the week (only got New Year's day off) so Saturday or Sunday would be best.

If you can delay buying anything until after you've come over for a dem that would be good, there's things I can go through with you personally which would be difficult to cover in this thread.

I'll PM my setup to you.

13. JSW

JSW

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +333
    Thanks Gary.