Question Which 6 bay nas that can run third party OS.

saguk1234

I want a new smaller server for my unraid. The case I currently have is a Silverstone ds380 8 bay. It’s small but I want something even smaller like for example qnap 663. The qnap has an internal flash drive that contains the os which can be removed and you can plug in an unraid usb in the usb socket.

Are there any other nas that can hold 6 x 3.5 hdd and can easily run third party OS?

Last edited:

mickevh

Distinguished Member
Have you considered any of the bare-metal micro servers offered by the likes of Hewlett Packard and Dell..? The (or at least my) HP chassis has a USB socket inside which some people have used to run their OS from (though I found it a bit slow - I think mine's possible USB 2.)

mickevh

Distinguished Member
Sure - it's an HP N54L. However, I believe it's been superseded and that exact model isn't available any more. Others here may know what the latest variant is.

If you are tempted, it would be worth looking out for one of HP's cashback deals - sometimes they can be a complete steal - I got mine for 80 GBP delivered after cashback (with only a single 250GB disc supplied.) Bear in mind, you could literally just get the box - no screen, keyboard, mouse, operating system. You have to add your own if you haven't already got them (even if you subsequently remove them after you've completed the install and build work.)

saguk1234

I have looked further into the n54l and the system is too old. I have found nsc 600 but nowhere to buy one.

ChuckMountain

The latest version Gen10 will take 5 drives, 4 caddy less easily accessible via the front. The fifth (2.5") can be mounted in the top or side and just requires a standard SATA cable and floppy to SATA power adaptor.

There is also an internal USB2 that you can boot from.

There is a 6th port but the version I looked at recently did not have the SATA header soldered in the position.

The Dual core version with 8GB or ram is around £200 a month including £30 cashback from HP.

The Quad core version with 16GB is considerably more at £550

saguk1234

I need a minimum of 6 3.5 bays. The qnaps are much smaller than the micro servers but do cost so much more.

ChuckMountain

The Gen10 isn't that much bigger than the 663 as its smaller than the N54L for example but I get your point about needing 6 bays.

I jumped from 4 to erm 24 bays so I can't talk :) That was considerably bigger though :)

saguk1234

The synology DS1817+ 8 bay looks awesome and it’s smaller than the ds380 but it’s expensive and I don’t know if it will run third party os.

Sloppy Bob

Distinguished Member
Why not just run the Synology OS?

What do you need to run that Synology can't?
(Note - I'm very unfamiliar with Unraid so there could be a ton of stuff)

I have the 8 bay model and am very pleased with it, however I've no idea if it can do what you want it to. Part of the premium you're paying with a pre-built NAS is the software.

saguk1234

It’s a shame to buy something so expensive because of the software and not use the software. Unraid to me is better than all other raids and freenass and other software.

limegreenzx

Banned
I don't think you'll find many NAS vendors supporting a 3rd party OS to be installed on their hardware.
The Fractal Design Node 304 supports at least 6 LFF drives. Requires ITX board. I have a Node 804 which is quite large but supports MATX boards and at10 LFF

Sloppy Bob

Distinguished Member
Synology has it's own Hybrid RAID which allows mixed disk sizes and expansion.

I've just ordered a 3rd 8TB drive and will be removing a 4TB to expand my volume. The 4TB is going in my backup.