Which 55" tv with passive 3D budget £1600

Jaybe6996

Standard Member
Reaction score
Hey all looking to upgrade my 42" TV to a 55" so what's the best TV I can get thats not plasma for my budget of around £1600. Has to be passive 3D as I cant look at active. Used for cable TV, ps4, watching movies from PC. Watch sport sometimes too. Was looking at the LG 55la860w but it only got 7/10 in a review on here. Any other suggestions for me ? Cheers Jay

Was looking at the w955 alright but it doesn't get great reviews compared with the 905. Sony seem to be concentrating on the 4k more and slipping on quality of the rest this year.

Was looking at the w955 alright but it doesn't get great reviews compared with the 905. Sony seem to be concentrating on the 4k more and slipping on quality of the rest this year.

If by the rest you mean the 955 then maybe ya, the rest of he lineup like the 829 has great reviews and much better than last year.

Pity the 829 isn't passive I would definitely buy that if it was. How do people find the LG tv's I have an LG plasma which is 8 years old and it was terrible. It had a snow effect on half the screen afwhich left silhouettes behind when switching scenes but technology has come on since then so I'm sure plasma is much better now.

Pity the 829 isn't passive I would definitely buy that if it was. How do people find the LG tv's I have an LG plasma which is 8 years old and it was terrible. It had a snow effect on half the screen afwhich left silhouettes behind when switching scenes but technology has come on since then so I'm sure plasma is much better now.

I think apart from black lvls which isn't quite on par with sony the rest is good, and has probably the best 3d of all TVs atleast the passive ones.... I myself am in same situation as you and looking at the 50" w829 which sadly is active as you point out, and the lg 790w which is on discount atm and I can get the 55" for the exact same price as the w829, trying to decide between the 2 :)

Regarding plasma they are almost extinct now, panasonic no longer makes them, dont think lg makes them either, samsung makes only 1 model it's a dying breed... it's all about LCD tvs for now and within a few years OLED will take over most likely.

Would you believe I was thinking about the 790w but when I looked at the site where I was thinking of going to look at it , it said it was active 3d !! I just read your post and realised it was actually passive. I might wait a couple of months and see if the 970w drops in price. Saw a display model for 2999 euros locally which is about £2500 but I doubt it'll drop into my budget by then. Wishful thinking ! If not I think it'll be the 790w that I'll go with. I like the magic remote too better than sonys remotes.

Try and get last years W9 the new one suffers from makethe4ksetlookgooditis.

I have it on good authority that Currys will be getting the old W9 in over easter.

Isn't it active 3D though which the OP can't use...?

Isn't it active 3D though which the OP can't use...?

Don't remember :-/ it has fantastic 2D PQ though and 3D if I remember correctly was pretty good.
I do know the replacement sets not too great, see it at work every day, not impressed at all.

If the W9 was passive it would be my first choice which is a pity it's not.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom