Question Which 55" TV on a £500 budget?

Shylok

Looking up the specs on Samsung's website it says n/a. Some websites could be referring to the twin tuner as one Digital & one Analogue tuner (the latter being pointless in the UK).

Tuner/Broadcasting
  • Digital Broadcasting DVB-T2CS2
  • Analog Tuner Yes
  • 2 Tuner N/A
  • CI (Common Interface) CI+(1.4)
  • Data Broadcasting HbbTV 2.0.1(IT,GB,DE,AT)/HbbTV 1.5(CZ,SK,AT,FR,ES,FI,EE,GR,SI,HR)/HbbTV 1.0(PL,HU,CH,BE,NL,LU,PT,DK)/ MHEG 5(UK,IE)
  • TV Key Support Yes
So if it does have one digital tuner, why then did it allow me to record the program im watching & still be able to turn the channel over without having to stop the recording? Unlike with a scheduled recording set via the EPG.

The other issue i forgot to mention was that the tv turned itself on not long after being switched off. After googling, this appears to be a common issue with smart tvs, not just Samsung. The fix is to turn HDMI CEC off as this allows connected equipment to communicate. In my case i had my Sony DVD HD recorder connected to the tv via HDMI, so it may have sent a signal that triggered the tv to turn on. But this might be a problem if you have a soundbar or some other equipment that requires HDMI CEC for it to work.

Dodgexander

So if it does have one digital tuner, why then did it allow me to record the program im watching & still be able to turn the channel over without having to stop the recording? Unlike with a scheduled recording set via the EPG.
Because of the way TV channels are broadcast some use the same frequency band, so it may be that you are able to record one channel whilst watching another on the same band. You can test this by trying it out by recording and watching a channel on a different band.
The other issue i forgot to mention was that the tv turned itself on not long after being switched off. After googling, this appears to be a common issue with smart tvs, not just Samsung. The fix is to turn HDMI CEC off as this allows connected equipment to communicate. In my case i had my Sony DVD HD recorder connected to the tv via HDMI, so it may have sent a signal that triggered the tv to turn on. But this might be a problem if you have a soundbar or some other equipment that requires HDMI CEC for it to work.
You can usually control HDMI CEC features independently, the CEC feature to automatically turn a device on or off can usually be selected or deselected on the source device. You can usually control it on the TV, turning on and off certain features of CEC that you don't need.

Sometimes there's nothing you can do because the source activates it and you cant control it, sometimes TVs also turn on each night to check for updates.

Troubleshooting the issue you could disconnect devices one by one temporarily to see if the behaviour is down to a single device.

Last edited:

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Panasonic JZ2000 Final Thoughts - TV Calibration: Should you? And More...
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom