Which 55" tv budget £800 max

liverbrazil

Standard Member
Reaction score
Hello

I'm looking to upgrade my tv and wanting 55 or 65 " with a budget of upto £800 (approx).

Mainly use for films, sports, netflix/prime etc and kids playing on nintento switch (potentially xbox or PS5 in near future).

What do people recommend?

I have been looking at the LG 55 Nano 806PA 55" ulta HD.

Many thanks

Try to find an outgoing 2020 model instead of overpaying for a newly released 2021 one.

You may be able to find TVs like the Hisense U8Q or Sony XH9005 close to your budget, especially so if you drop to a 55".

A lot better, the Nano80 is a low tier model, your budget should allow to get a high tier model at the same price, or at least mid tier.

Thanks I’ll check them both out, which one would you recommend? I currently have a Samsung UE40ES6710 LED HD 1080p - will I notice much of a difference/improvement in the quality?
Cheers

I recommend both in my guide. The Sony is probably better for you if you watch sport. The Hisense does get brighter though which makes for more impressive HDR picture quality when using 4k titles on Netflix and Prime.

The TV that has both would be the XH9505.

Sony XH9505 much brighter tv

no, you have to decide which feature you want the most but its a better tv the Argos one.

Thanks. I assume gaming will still look great on the 9505 despite not having HDMI 2.1?
Yes, you don’t really need it.
Again only a year warranty from Argos

Ta- have you seen a better deal anywhere else? Cheers
Not recently, it’s pretty much sold out. Could try local John Lewis or Richer Sounds, they sometimes have open box deals with warranty. Someone got one from Manchester JL last week for £650

Ex display model here with 5 year warranty

Someone did claim the xh9505 comes with a 5 year warranty but not confirmed especially if buying from a chain like AO or Argos, rather than an indy.
Q on Argos page says this, which suggests only 12 months, not 5 years

The TV comes with a 12 months standard warranty. However, some of our retail partners participate in the 5 years warranty promotion which is provided instead of the standard one. For more info, please check this link: Repair and Warranty....

Sony support UK

£849 from RS but limited stocks so call first

Thanks I’ll take a look at richer sounds and maybe hold off until price drops.

Is there anything else I should look out for similar to the Sony and that price bracket?

Or does that Sony take some beating in that price range?

Maybe there deal is on another brand/model which occasionally drops to a similar price which is worth considering.
Thanks

Last edited:
Thanks I’ll take a look at richer sounds and maybe hold off until price drops
Prices are very unlikely to drop further on the xh9505 as there are barely any left at the main retailers, it was £1300 I think at launch.
It’s the best sub 1k 55” LCD

Last edited:
it was £1300 I think at launch.

£1599 @ launch.

I doubt you'll get it much cheaper now, it's discontinued and been replaced. All that's left will be sold through soon so by waiting you'll probably just miss out.
Leaving it much longer is a gamble and then you're left with the 2021 models at their near peak price until Black Friday.

£1599 @ launch.

I doubt you'll get it much cheaper now, it's discontinued and been replaced. All that's left will be sold through soon so by waiting you'll probably just miss out.
Leaving it much longer is a gamble and then you're left with the 2021 models at their near peak price until Black Friday.
55, blimey

Ex display model here with 5 year warranty

Someone did claim the xh9505 comes with a 5 year warranty but not confirmed especially if buying from a chain like AO or Argos, rather than an indy.
Q on Argos page says this, which suggests only 12 months, not 5 years

The TV comes with a 12 months standard warranty. However, some of our retail partners participate in the 5 years warranty promotion which is provided instead of the standard one. For more info, please check this link: Repair and Warranty....

Sony support UK

£849 from RS but limited stocks so call first
Those available at RS are collection only.
The TV is available at AO but its £999

Those available at RS are collection only.
The TV is available at AO but its £999
That might not be an issue if local?
Only a year warranty from AO unfortunately
Could try the local Sony Centre and see what they can offer to clear stock

That might not be an issue if local?
Only a year warranty from AO unfortunately
Could try the local Sony Centre and see what they can offer to clear stock
I've been deliberating over buying a new TV for a while now and have gone from thinking a budget (£500) 55 in would be better than my current 48" HD tv to realising that I need to spend a bit more.
I almost pulled the trigger on an LG OLED for £999 but I keep reading stories about screen burn and this has put me off.

If I can find this at around £900 is it really that good that spending another £100 on an OLED is not worth it?

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom