Question Which 55 inch tv for £1500?

wingsandfaith

I am currently considering upgrading from a Samsung 49ks7000 to something a little bigger. I am torn between getting either the Sony BRAVIA KD 55XE9005 or the lg b6. Would really like to try the lg oled, although I have heard a lot of horror stories regarding the way it handles movies and the judder/motion issues. If I decided to go for the Sony over the lg would that be considered a good upgrade for the money. Thanks.

Dodgexander

Why don't you seek out a demo of an OLED like the B6? Out of the box motion on them is the same as with an LCD, but its with LCDs that you get more options to decrease motion judder without also having Soap Opera Effect. - you'll notice on your current tv in the motion settings there is a section to enable LED clear motion. It is this that inserts frames quickly to increase motion resolution that you don't get on an OLED. If you are happy without that setting, you are also probably going to be happy with an OLED without this setting. I can't really tell you if you are going to be one of the people happy with motion on the LG OLEDs but I can tell you that most people are happy. The only way to answer that question yourself is to demo one.

Hifi stores are usually the best places to seek out demos as they often have designated rooms unlike most Currys stores. Places like Richer Sounds even advertise to call them to arrange a demo.

If you find the LG OLED hasn't got adequate motion then Philips make OLEDs that have just as good motion options as LCDs. So that may also be an option for you.

One thing I wouldn't do is change your current TV for a TV like the XE90, certainly not now anyway. The XE90 is a 2017 model and is overpriced right now, it will be reduced a lot in the future and is not mark-ably better than your current TV. In fact I would argue that there is so little difference between it and your current tv its probably not worth even considering for the extra size.

haujobbz

Why don't you seek out a demo of an OLED like the B6? Out of the box motion on them is the same as with an LCD, but its with LCDs that you get more options to decrease motion judder without also having Soap Opera Effect. - you'll notice on your current tv in the motion settings there is a section to enable LED clear motion. It is this that inserts frames quickly to increase motion resolution that you don't get on an OLED. If you are happy without that setting, you are also probably going to be happy with an OLED without this setting. I can't really tell you if you are going to be one of the people happy with motion on the LG OLEDs but I can tell you that most people are happy. The only way to answer that question yourself is to demo one.

Hifi stores are usually the best places to seek out demos as they often have designated rooms unlike most Currys stores. Places like Richer Sounds even advertise to call them to arrange a demo.

If you find the LG OLED hasn't got adequate motion then Philips make OLEDs that have just as good motion options as LCDs. So that may also be an option for you.

One thing I wouldn't do is change your current TV for a TV like the XE90, certainly not now anyway. The XE90 is a 2017 model and is overpriced right now, it will be reduced a lot in the future and is not mark-ably better than your current TV. In fact I would argue that there is so little difference between it and your current tv its probably not worth even considering for the extra size.

I hear the judder is issue has been fixed on the b6/c6 in the US ? Is this fix available for the UK ?

I am currently considering upgrading from a Samsung 49ks7000 to something a little bigger. I am torn between getting either the Sony BRAVIA KD 55XE9005 or the lg b6. Would really like to try the lg oled, although I have heard a lot of horror stories regarding the way it handles movies and the judder/motion issues. If I decided to go for the Sony over the lg would that be considered a good upgrade for the money. Thanks.

I compared both and I preferred the Sony as it was brighter and clearer compared to the oled and even the wife agreed , the oled had awesome blacks and color but I didn't like the soap opera effect you got to avoid judder and it was bit to dark at times loosing detail !

haujobbz

I don't think so, the judder is just natural the same as it would be for an LCD out of the box. The difference is now LCDs have options to reduce judder without bringing SOE and OLEDs do not.

Apart from the Philips OLEDs that is.

Ah I see ! So to avoid the SOE of aOLED TVI would have to cope with judder :(

Dodgexander

If you find that without any frame interpolation or frame insertion there is judder yes. Most people are fine with this turned off.

Of course it also depends on the source you are watching.

Movies will have the most judder as they are shot in 24hz, most tv shows online now are also shot at 24hz
TV is a bit better, usually shot at 25hz, sometimes 50hz
TV from North America is even better shot at 30hz sometimes 60hz.

A good thing to look out for in reviews is FPD Benchmark Software test Blu-ray.

It tests perceived motion, standard for LCD and OLED is 300 lines without any kind of motion settings turned on. For most people this is fine and its what calibrators usually do when you get your tv calibrated. Plasma can give up to 1080 visible lines in the test without motion settings turned on by comparison. - This is why Plasma tv's are still a very good choice for sport.

From what I've seen so far on high end tv's, both LCD and OLED. I'm not accounting for lower end as they may have varied options and probably lower panel refresh rates.

Sony's 2016/2017 LCDs can reach 1080 lines in the test, but only 1080 with also a tiny bit of SOE, better than reaching 1080 lines with only interpolation causing more SOE but still very slight. By many Sony's SOE isn't considered as noticeable as others so this is why many people prefer Sony tv's for motion.

Samsungs and Panasonics 2016/2017 LCDs can reach 1080 lines in the test by avoiding SOE completely, they do this using frame insertion.

Hisense and LG LCDs aren't as good, they usually can't reach 1080 lines and if they do also use interpolation and therefore add SOE.

With OLEDs:

LGs 2016/2017 OLEDs can only manage 650 lines with interpolation, they don't have frame insertion.

Sony, Panasonic and Philips 2017 OLEDs can do 650 lines either with motion interpolation or frame insertion. So they are better than LGs for motion, but still not quite as good as certain LCDs (with frame insertion on highest )or Plasma's.

But frame insertion comes at the cost of brightness and the higher the setting the more frames are inserted and the more brightness you lose. This could be why OLEDs lack stronger frame insertion settings (just a guess) because they are already dim for HDR content compared to LCDs.

The latest video from AVForums

Star Wars Andor, Woman King, more Star Trek 4K, Rings of Power & the latest TV, movies & 4K releases
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom