Which 55-60 inch Smart TV £400

LA81

Novice Member
Reaction score
Hi, I've been reading the forum for over the past week or more and am still no clearer on what TV we should be getting and with the black Friday deals we don't want to miss out on anything today.

We are looking for a 55-60 inch smart TV 4K and our budget is £420 we would go bigger but with our budget it's the 55-60

I have been looking at the following ones:

Samsung UE55TU7100 (same just a little more from RS)

I know that it was said in the guide to not get a Samsung 55 inch as you don't know what panel, but I can't find any 58 inch as above. And we were looking at the Hinsense one's but don't know.

We would like to have alexa enabled if possible too.

Currently our TV has it's back to the window, on a TV stand. If we get a corner sofa at some point which we are planning to then the TV would be opposite the window, though we don't always have the blind up fully.

As for panels I don't know, I've read that IPS are better for viewing angles which we do want, but also don't want bad colour either.

Which external devices do you plan to connect to the TV?
  • A soundbar
    • If so, which model? No
  • Apple TV 4k? No
  • Nvidia Shield 4k? No
  • Amazon Fire Stick 4k? Wouldn't need a firestick with the apps in built in with TV would we?
  • Roku streaming stick plus? No
  • Chromecast 4k? No
  • UHD Blu-Ray Player? No
  • HD Blu-Ray Player? No
  • Games console
    • If so, which one(s)? Xbox One currently which we watch blue rays on and play games as well.
  • A computer
    • If so, what graphics card? No
What content will you watch on the TV?
  • What streaming services do you plan to use?
    • If available, which plan? for example Netflix premium? Yes to Netflix. We also have Amazon Prime, Disney+, watch YouTube on the TV, we watch all these a lot.
  • Catch up TV apps,
    • If so, which apps? All 4, ITV, BBC etc.
  • Broadcast TV
    • If so, channel resolutions? We don't watch a huge amount of live broadcast TV
SD20% ?
HD60% ?
UHD0%
  • DVDs? Yes
  • FHD Blu-Rays? Yes - we watch these through the Xbox One
  • UHD Blu-Rays?
  • Gaming?
    • If so, HD, UHD/HDR gaming? We play a lot of games through our Xbox console yes, fast paced action shooting games mainly.
  • What proportion of your total viewing will be content in SD, HD or UHD? ?
SD20%
HD60%
UHD0%
  • What proportion of your viewing will be broadcast TV shows, broadcast sport, broadcast movies, streaming TV/movies, DVDs, FHD Blu-Rays, UHD Blu-Rays or games?
Broadcast TV shows5%
Broadcast Sport0%
Broadcast Movies5%
Streaming TV shows or Movies50%
DVDs10%
HD Blu-Rays25%
UHD Blu-Rays0 %
Games50%

Will you use internal or external apps or tuners for the following? If external, via which device?
  • Broadcast TV Through Sky TV
  • Streaming services Netflix, Amazon Prime, Disney+, YouTube etc.
  • Catch up apps All 4, ITV, BBC etc
Situational questions:
  • What TV are you currently using and what are expecting to see upgrading to a new TV? Sony Bravia 32 inch - we want a much bigger screen, brighter colours, clearer picture, good sound though we would get a sound bar at some point if needed, no lag etc.
  • Are you a tweaker or set and forget kind of person? Out of the box mostly if possible but don't mind trying to mess with a few settings though we don't know what we're doing too much so would have to ask.
  • What is your viewing distance? Furthest away is 10ft / 3.5 metres mostly for watching TV, gaming is usually closer at around 2 metres but can move chairs as needed.
  • If you place yourself in the position of your TV facing towards where you watch, at what angle from the centre is each integral seating position? (Tip, use a protractor to measure angles). Watching TV is usually viewed straight on in front at the moment but we are thinking of getting a corner sofa when we can with straight on and 45 degree viewing angles so wouldn't want it to be bad being viewed from the side, gaming again usually isn't head on, it's usually from the side 45 degrees etc. Would probably go for viewing angles over contrast if had to, and hopefully the contrast would still be good.
  • When will you use the TV and what kind of lighting will be in your room? Some examples:
    • Bright conditions during the day.
    • Dark conditions during the day.
    • Dark movie nights in the evening.
    • Always use a lamp or light in the room, even in the evening. Mostly in the daytime, bright room, in the night mostly with the full big light on, sometimes watched with the lamp on, only very occasionally watched without a light on.

• Would your usage of an OLED TV put you at risk of permanent burn in? Please read: OLED Burn In Risk Don't think we can afford a OLED TV
  • Do you need any legacy connections like composite or component? We do have some older consoles using scart and RF connections for the PS1 etc.
  • If using planning to use an internal tuner will you use satellite or free to air? We are with Sky, but do watch freeview etc

Please rearrange the following, in descending importance:
  1. Cost
  2. Value
  3. Viewing angles
  4. Picture accuracy out of the box
  5. Smart TV ease of use
  6. Smart TV app selection
  7. SDR / HDR quality
  8. Blacks
  9. Shadow detail
  10. Sound

Now for bugs, tell us your possible pet hates related to TVs, in descending order:
  1. Motion blur
  2. Motion judder with 24hz movies/TV shows. See: Judder-Free 24p on TVs
  3. Motion stutter
  4. Slow Smart TV
  5. Reflective Screens
  6. Bad screen uniformity, Dirty Screen Effect, Clouding, Light Bleed, Blooming, Vignetting, Haloing
  7. Raised blacks
  8. Loss of detail in dark areas or crushed blacks
  9. colour banding

Last edited:
It's going to be hard to find something within your budget that ticks all boxes. Since you want UK catchup apps and good viewing angles look at Sony's X7052/X7053 at 49 or 55".

If those are too expensive then you'd have to go for 49" or 55" LG models such as the 49"/55" UN7300 or UN7400. Viewing angles aren't quite as good as Sony but smart TV is better to use and more featuresome, the sad part is you don't get all the UK catch up apps with LGs though, only iPlayer. If they don't add them in the future you could always connect a Roku or Firestick, or use the Xbox for catch up duty perhaps.

If you forgo the need of wider viewing angles then it opens up your options a lot more. The Hisense U7Q in particular is a really good TV for the money right now if you can stretch to it.

sorry cross post will read yours now thank you

Still been looking all night for any good deals, though am totally lost with what to go for, IPS/VA panels, though my partner wants the viewing angles to be better so IPS probably, make, 55 or 58, all the specs, and what might be the best price with black Friday being today, we were looking at ordering one tonight or in the morning.

Thank you so much for your reply and time.

Are any of the two TVs i put on the top of my first post any good please? So are any of these any good or would you recommend something else?
Samsung UE55TU7100 £399.99
Hisense 58A7100FTUK £399.99
Hisense 55AE7400FTUK £428.00
Hitachi 58HK6100U this is £369.99

Which TVs are good if the viewing angles weren't priority please? and I presume that we would still be able to sit to the side of the tv a little and still see a good picture.

We wish we had more budget but we could only just stretch to £450 if needs be. We've been putting off getting a TV for two years now due to hard times this year has been even worse so we're just wanting to end the year with something nice. Thank you for all your help.

Last edited:
Are any of the two TVs i put on the top of my first post any good please?
None of the TVs you've mentioned are as good as the Hisense 50 or 55U7Q. The Hisense A series ones in your list are a good option if you want to spend less money.
I can't speak for the Samsung as I don't know for sure which type of panel it comes with, if its VA it will perform similarly to the Hisense models.

Hitachi are best avoided.

Not a huge difference between all these budget TVs until you get to the Hisense U7Q.
Which TVs are good if the viewing angles weren't priority please?
From your list both Hisense models.
and I presume that we would still be able to sit to the side of the tv a little and still see a good picture.
If you wanting viewing angles to be good at more than 20-30 degrees to the side you need to look instead at models I suggested in my previous post.
We wish we had more budget but we could only just stretch to £450 if needs be. We've been putting off getting a TV for two years now due to hard times this year has been even worse so we're just wanting to end the year with something nice. Thank you for all your help.
If I were you I'd go for the Hisense U7Q at 50 or 55" and I'd make sure you only view the TV head on. If you can't arrange seating to always be head on then consider the models I mentioned in my first reply in this thread instead.

Thank you again. I will avoid the one you said to. The 55U7Q looks good, it's just the price really.

What do you think about the Hisense 65A7100FTUK? Is it any better than the 55U7QFTUK? Or is the 55U7Q really the best out of everything in our range? I know you said that the 55U7Q has FALD and that's good apparently, I can't see if the 65A71 has it too.

I have been looking all over for the 55U7Q but can only find it for £549 I did see on another thread someone got one from RS for £450 but I can't find them on there anymore. It would really be pushing it to go to £549 for us right now but really want a good TV and need to order it today don't want all the best deals to be gone.

Thank you again. I will avoid the one you said to. The 55U7Q looks good, it's just the price really.

What do you think about the Hisense 65A7100FTUK? Is it any better than the 55U7QFTUK? Or is the 55U7Q really the best out of everything in our range? I know you said that the 55U7Q has FALD and that's good apparently, I can't see if the 65A71 has it too.

I have been looking all over for the 55U7Q but can only find it for £549 I did see on another thread someone got one from RS for £450 but I can't find them on there anymore. It would really be pushing it to go to £549 for us right now but really want a good TV and need to order it today don't want all the best deals to be gone.
The 50” Hisense is £449, not 55”.
Buy from RS or JL not AO due to the warranty and customer service benefits

Thank you, I will knock AO off the list to buy from. We really do want a 55 inch no smaller, just trying to find it from somewhere as cheap as possible and £549 is the cheapest I'm getting for the 55U7Q

from the guide...for wider viewing angles
G 55UN7300/55UN7400 - Great smart TV, competitive pricing compared to the competition. Decent in a bright room. UN7300 is the first that comes with the magic remote. But you may also find value in the UN7100 if you don't care about a smart remote or the UN8000 and UN8100 if you want both smart remote and an extra HDMI port. LG differences here: LG_TV_LineUp_chart_2020_v1.0.pdf

Thank you, I will knock AO off the list to buy from. We really do want a 55 inch no smaller, just trying to find it from somewhere as cheap as possible and £549 is the cheapest I'm getting for the 55U7Q

I got the 55 U7Q from Richer Sounds for £440 yesterday but they only had 7 left in warehouse. Had to give them a call as not listed on website. They beat the costco membership price deal (£450) but I had to take out a costco membership at £15 and email them proof of it before they would give me the deal. Otherwise costco still have it at that price.

Thank you for your reply. Do you know how much they were selling them for with no Costco discount please? The cheapest I can find the 55U7Q for is £549 which is too much for us. We have ordered another TV from Richer Sounds but wanted the 55U7Q as it was recommended above the others.

Richer were selling it for £549 as everywhere else. They might be out of stock now anyway. I'm sure they would still beat the price if they have stock. Maybe you can ask them to cancel your order and enquire.

Well thank you very much for everyone's help it's much appreciated.

Just my luck to not get one for £450 which we could have done. I doubt anywhere is going to have for them that price now are they, not that I've seen anyway.
We have had to go with the Hisense 55AE7400FTUK.

I'd not seen it anywhere at that price except for the Costco membership discount. It's because I saw the dude above got Richer Sounds to price match that I made an inquiry.

Seems that Costco are still offering that deal unless they're sold out.

I'd not seen it anywhere at that price except for the Costco membership discount. It's because I saw the dude above got Richer Sounds to price match that I made an inquiry.

Seems that Costco are still offering that deal unless they're sold out.
You can't buy from Costco unless you have a membership. Only only is £45.

Have you considered the hisence roku tvs from argos?

You can't buy from Costco unless you have a membership. Only only is £45.

Where else had it for 450? I couldn't find it listed online anywhere for that price.

Costco membership is £15. I had to buy it and send Richer Sounds proof before they would beat the price at 440. I preferred to buy it from RS as not really familiar with Costco.

Where else had it for 450? I couldn't find it listed online anywhere for that price.

Costco membership is £15. I had to buy it and send Richer Sounds proof before they would beat the price at 440. I preferred to buy it from RS as not really familiar with Costco.
I think some people were able to get price matches. Technically because Costco is a club retailer they don't have to match, but they did.

I don't think other retailers tend to match Costco's prices themselves, first because they aren't too popular in the UK yet and second because its a club store. But that doesn't mean you can't lodge a personal price match with John Lewis or similar if Costco are selling it cheaper. There's no harm in trying.

I'm super glad I managed to get it for that! I was ready to buy the 50" at 450 before I stumbled on this thread.

Yeah Costco just sounds dodgy from the name. I wouldn't have been comfortable buying from them and plus I think you would need to maintain your membership for them to honour the warranty should you need it.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom