Which 55'' 4k tv should I buy?

daniele1793

Novice Member
Reaction score
Hi guys! I have to buy a new 4k tv and I would have some advices.

I will use that tv mostly to watch football matches through iptv (50%) (and maybe in the future with sky). In addition I will use it to watch hd channels through dvb (30%). I will use my tv to watch some contents on netflix and amazon prime video (15%), other USB contents (tv series) (5%).

I will watch for the 50% of the time 1.9 meters of distance from the tv and I will watch for the 50% of the time from 4.8 meters from the tv. My point of view is centered, so I want a VA panel.

I know that my use will not use the potential of my future tv, but I would to keep the tv for 10 years so I would have a TV that is good for future technologies.

Basically, I am evaluating these models:

- Samsung 55MU7000
- Samsung 55KS7000 (QLED)
- Sony 55XE9005
- LG OLED 55B6V

As for the LG OLED I am a little worried because it is a new technology and the defects are not known yet, also the duration of the panels is unknown.
As for samsung 55KS7000 I I have read some negative reviews where they say it is very delicate. For example, they said that the panel has a very thin and delicate reflecting layer and therefore cleaning it is possible to leave some halos on the screen. In addition, I read that the back panel is glued and holding the TV on for a long time, due to the high temperatures it tends to come off.

Sorry for my english, thanks in advance to everyone.

I wouldn't buy a 55" model at 1.9m away, certainly not at 4.8m. What are you currently using and in what areas are you expecting see an upgrade by going for an UHD model?

I am also a little confused why you are looking at 3 capable HDR models with no HDR sources...its like throwing money away.

I wouldn't buy a 55" model at 1.9m away, certainly not at 4.8m. What are you currently using and in what areas are you expecting see an upgrade by going for an UHD model?

I am also a little confused why you are looking at 3 capable HDR models with no HDR sources...its like throwing money away.
Thank you for your answer.

I have a TV Samsung 46ES8000, but the panels has a problem so I have to change it :(

However, I am not expecting a big upgrade by going for an UHD model (maybe thanks to upscaling I can see some improvements in quality image?), but I prefer it since I plan to use in the future my tv also with a ps4 pro and sky UHD.

As for HDR, Netflix and Prime video have some HDR contents, moreover I have a ps4 and I plan to upgrade it to a ps4 pro.

However, as for the distance, my sofa is 1.6-2 m away from the tv (depending on their position that I can change easily) and while I am eating (so less than 50% I said before, I think for the 20% of the time) the distance is 4.8 m. from the table (but in this case basically I will watch mainly HD contents).

Last edited: A moment ago

EditDeleteReport
Quote+

maybe thanks to upscaling I can see some improvements in quality image?
Upscaling won't make anything look better, it will make standard definition content look worse. HD will look okay though.

but I prefer it since I plan to use in the future my tv also with a ps4 pro and sky UHD.
As for HDR, Netflix and Prime video have some HDR contents, moreover I have a ps4 and I plan to upgrade it to a ps4 pro.
Ah okay, so you have a reason to get a capable HDR model then.

At 1.6m you should be able to notice some difference in detail with UHD sources. HDR you will notice no matter how far you view.

What kind of pricing are you finding each of the models you have looked at? A couple of them are 2016 models.

Do you have a maximum budget?

I have 1000€ as budget.
I found MU7000 at 989€, KS7000 at 934€, Sony 1100€ and LG oled at 1400€ (hoping that prices will go down after Christmas)

I’d be very careful going for a 4K tv using iptv! I have Sky Q now and the picture is cracking on most channels, apps on the tv such as Amazon and Netflix are amazing as well! Today though I have a trial for an iptv and using Picture Perfect app the picture is pretty poor to say the least, HD!!! Channels are mediocre FHD are slightly better but still very poor even compared to channels on Sky such as the SD stuff.

Now whether it’s my IPtV trial or not I’m not sure but I got the trial today due to trialling it for BTSport FHD but what I’ve seen so far in movies and sports even the Sports news channel I’m yet to be impressed. Others may have an IPtV service runnjng on their tv’s to compare my experience!

Good luck in whatever you do decide.

And what IPTV are you trialing?
Not sure chap, the m3u is xtreme-editor.com
It’s a guy from Gumtree

Got BTSport on now for Champions League and the main issue at the mo is the faces, overall it’s not bad for the price when I think about it, I’ll only be using it for CL and the odd PL match.

I found the new samsung 55Q6F quantum led at 999€, payments in 24 months without interests. What do you think?

We don't know much about it because its a new model but it doesn't look promising. Specs are about on par with the cheaper MU7000.

I think it will probably end up the Same as the MU7000 in performance...maybe a little brighter but not much, but with the slightly better colour reproduction with HDR.

You should be looking at the Sony XE9005 or LG B6. Samsung don't make good models this year.

Thank you for your answer.

As for Sony XE9005, I read that Android TV is slow. In your opinion, Android Tv on XE9005 will be improved through upgrades??

Its not really something to worry too much about now. In 2015 the TVs were awful and in 2016 some models were under-powered but its a lot better now.

Whilst it isn't as fast and snappy as other platforms its not something really you should worry about unless you are expecting the fastest performance.

When you look at the TV as a whole and how much you are getting for your money, there is no alternative really with "better" smart TV unless you reach the LG B7/C7 smart TVs which are in a different price category.

Its worth noting that no matter which smart tv you will probably end up wanting to get a separate solution anyway.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom