Answered Which 55" 4K TV ~£500-750 for use with Playstation 4 Pro and console gaming?

HungryGhost

Novice Member
Reaction score
Hi Everyone,

I currently have a 40" Sony KDL-40W4000 which, for the time was a pretty high end set, but it's nearly a decade old and I'd like to upgrade to something slightly larger with 4K/HDR support.

I'm looking for a 55"-ish 4K HDR set which will primarily be used for gaming and will connect to my PS4 Pro, Xbox One (no HRD/4k unfortunately), Switch and Wii U. It's not my main television and is just in my gaming man-cave so don't want to spend more than around £500-£750.

I literally haven't looked at televisions in ages so other than 55"-ish with 4K/HDR support I'm not really sure what I'm after. I'll probably hook up a 4K Chromecast for streaming movies and YouTube so I'm not really bothered about build in 'smart' apps or other features like that. I think mainly I just want something with a decent panel and reasonable speakers.

Any tips, suggestions and advice would be appreciated. Especially if you mainly use your TV for gaming.

:cool:

Consider the new Samsung 55NU8000.

UE55NU8000T | UE55NU8000TXXU | Samsung UK

That is over your budget but is the minimum for good HDR gaming, I.M.H.O.. :)

Thanks for the suggestion. Looks good. In fact the guy in the shop I was in earlier today recommended it for the game mode and using with a PS4.

I would be willing to up my budget to nearer £1000 if there were a specific TV or feature which was worth spending the extra for?

Are there any other televisions worth considering around that price point for gaming.

Last edited:
Its been discussed a few times in other similar threads recently but for the PS4 pro HDR is important so you may want to A. Buy at a better time when prices aren't so high and B. look at a very minimum the Samsung N8000 but more preferably the Sony XF9005.

Here is a link where I explained why in a bit more detail: Question - Looking for TV to use with PS4 pro

Here is a link where I explained why in a bit more detail: Question - Looking for TV to use with PS4 pro

Thank you for the suggestion and the link. I'll check it out.

One thing I have noticed looking at the models you suggested is that the Samsung N8000 can be had substantially cheaper ~£900 than the Sony XF9005 which is closer to ~£1200 in most places I've checked. Do you reckon the Samsung is a better bet given that kind of price difference?

Last edited:
Thank you for the suggestion and the link. I'll check it out.

One thing I have noticed looking at the models you suggested is that the Samsung N8000 can be had substantially cheaper ~£900 than the Sony XF9005 which is closer to ~£1200 in most places I've checked. Do you reckon the Samsung is a better bet given that kind of price difference?
No, its not a better TV by any means, they are about equal value for money now. The Sony will likely price drop in the future, hopefully black friday. The Samsung will be better value around £800 or lower.

Thanks. I'll do a bit more reading up but based on that the Samsung looks like the better bet and it's closer to what I'd wanted to spend.

Someone else suggested the Samsung NU7400 which is about £600-700. Would you say the NU8000 was worth the extra ~£200?

Thanks. I'll do a bit more reading up but based on that the Samsung looks like the better bet and it's closer to what I'd wanted to spend.

Someone else suggested the Samsung NU7400 which is about £600-700. Would you say the NU8000 was worth the extra ~£200?
Neither of those TVs represent the best value right now since they are priced quite high.

For your usage its definitely worth keeping an eye out on price drops on at least the NU8000. I don't think the NU7400 will cut it and we don't know what panel it will be using at 55".

I don't really want to wait too long to get something as I can't imagine prices will change much in the next month or two unless you know something I don't!

Is there anything which would be better than the NU8000 for the same kind of price?

I don't really want to wait too long to get something as I can't imagine prices will change much in the next month or two unless you know something I don't!
The TV bug is hard to drop but its worth waiting for something that will potentially last for years. Especially when gaming at FHD has its advantages compared to UHD still.

I would wait at very least until black friday, 2months and 13 days away.

At the moment the best value option is the Hisense U7A but it is not a great HDR TV, much the same as any TV beneath the Samsung NU8000 in price currently. it is however a lot better than other TVs at a similar price, such as the NU7400.

Given it's for my gaming room rather than the main lounge maybe I'd be better off just getting something like the Hisense U7A then if there's not a great deal of difference and it can be had for closer to £500. I'm sure it'll be far superior to my old TV.

There isn't a whole load of difference between the Hisense U7A and Samsung NU8000.

Samsung has a better anti reflection filter, can get about twice as bright with HDR and has 4x full bandwidth UHD and HDR HDMI ports compared to only 2 on the Hisense.

You could argue the Samsungs smart system is better too, but Hisense's is decent and doesn't have the Samsung ads.

As far as differences go thats not bad for what is currently almost a £300+ saving. The Hisense is a very good TV for SDR performance and even when the Samsung gets reduced it will still remain good value for someone looking for excellent SDR performance not worrying so much about HDR.

Unless you plan on not using HDR with all content, then the U7A is a great option currently, the others are overpriced.

If you want HDR, the XF90 is the bare minimum, then moving onto OLED with the LG B7 or B8:

LG OLED55B7V (TVs)

I was in a local TV retailer today and something that surprised me was how variable the 1080p image looked on all the televisions! They were all running a BBC news HD (presumably freeview) feed however on most of the sets the image quality looked terrible?

I'd presumed a 1080p image would scale up perfectly to 4K as presumed all it needed to do was make every 1080p pixel a block of 4? However the motion in particular was very "smeary" and the image quality quite poor. I'm assuming that was something to do with the feed in the shop as the 4K TVs running actual 4K demo footage all looked fantastic to my eye regardless of price?

It difficult to compare as the OLED/QLED TVs were all running 4k content whereas the cheaper LED 4k HDR TVs were all on freeview/shop feed 1080p content so I'm still not really sure how much different there is between most of them? I suspect they wanted to intentionally make the more expensive TV's look substantially better compared to the cheaper ones by only giving them the best quality 4K footage!

I'll maybe have a look in another shop tomorrow and see if the difference there is more noticeable and the quality of the standard footage better?

Its no surprise you found that at all, 1080p does look a lot softer on UHD TVs. It surprised me when I purchased mine.

Its even worse with lower quality stuff.

Don't buy a new UHD TV if you are just going to use it for regular TV, it shines with newer, higher quality content and does not polish the old at all, in fact it makes it look worse.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom