Which 55" 3D TV?

JamesU2002

Established Member
Reaction score
Looking to get a 55" 3D TV before Christmas.

Budget around £3,000 max.

Which is best to get? Don't mind Plasma or LCD.

Just whatever is best.

Plasma is generally better than LCD when it comes to 3D, if you want a really big one you can get the Samsung PS63C7000 which is the 63" version.

Or go for the Samsung PS50C680, thats a craking good 3D Plasma, Blu Ray Player and 4 Glasses for under a grand. Which gives you enough money to upgrade your AVR to an HDMI 1.4 compliant one too.

Thanks.

Are none of these any good?

Samsung UE55C8000 OR Sony Bravia KDL55NX813 OR LG 55LX9900?

Thanks.

Are none of these any good?

Samsung UE55C8000 OR Sony Bravia KDL55NX813 OR LG 55LX9900?

They are but they are all LCD screens, LCD does not handle 3D as good as Plasma screens do due to technology limitations.

Plasma is generally better than LCD when it comes to 3D, if you want a really big one you can get the Samsung PS63C7000 which is the 63" version.

Or go for the Samsung PS50C680, thats a craking good 3D Plasma, Blu Ray Player and 4 Glasses for under a grand. Which gives you enough money to upgrade your AVR to an HDMI 1.4 compliant one too.

hi, where can you get this deal under a grand ? thanks

hi, where can you get this deal under a grand ? thanks

Just google the model number that is in my post and it will show you some stores

Actually it's more accurate to say plasma handle's crosstalk better, in other areas LCD is better (far brighter and vibrant as the glasses reduce brightness an LCD can help to keep the picture more colourful and bright). Crosstalk tends to be worse than plasma and that is more important really.

However I've been reading good things about the new Toshiba WL768 which actually has some clever processing for 3D (auto brightness and colour adaption to come closer to 'ideal' in 3D mode) and the crosstalk isn't even supposed to be that bad (not as bad as usual LCDs). My main priority is 2D which is why I'm interested in it

and they are doing a 55" you can get it for @£1600 which is bargain of the year for a sexy TV of that size! (yeah it's also got a great design and is super thin)

oh and stay clear of the PS680, tacky stand and terrible 2D picture (plus a slew of samsung faults) my in laws just picked one up recently from a store + bluray 'bargain' but I'm not convinced it's worth it. If anything look at the C7000 rather than the C680 - it's just been reviewed on this site, still not happy with samsung's 'blinking' that they seem incapable of curing.

oh and stay clear of the PS680, tacky stand and terrible 2D picture (plus a slew of samsung faults) my in laws just picked one up recently from a store + bluray 'bargain' but I'm not convinced it's worth it. If anything look at the C7000 rather than the C680 - it's just been reviewed on this site, still not happy with samsung's 'blinking' that they seem incapable of curing.

Any thoughts on this Commander? You might have a better opinion seeing as you've got yours nicely set up settings wise :)

Have you seen a properly calibrated C680? One that has its greyscale set correctly to D65?

FWIW both the C680 and the C7000 are virtually identicle pictures when calibrated. The C7000 just has more software options (which are all turned off to get the best picture) and internet@TV on the TV itself plus the black filter which gives slightly better black levels. The TV's themselves have very little in difference when it comes to actual PQ.

Commander,

I know every environment is different, but do you have your settings posted anywhere on here? For 2D, 3D & gaming?

Commander,

I know every environment is different, but do you have your settings posted anywhere on here? For 2D, 3D & gaming?

No not yet mate, I need to do another measurement tonight. I had my contrast set a little to high the last time I did it so I got some white bleeding in the really bright scenes.

Going to try again tonight and see if I can sort it out then I'll post some before and after pics too with my findings. Its really fun all this calibrating, learning loads, take a look in the construction and calibration section on here.

No not yet mate, I need to do another measurement tonight. I had my contrast set a little to high the last time I did it so I got some white bleeding in the really bright scenes.

Going to try again tonight and see if I can sort it out then I'll post some before and after pics too with my findings. Its really fun all this calibrating, learning loads, take a look in the construction and calibration section on here.

Thanks mate, much appreciated. I'll have a look at that section & will check out your settings when posted :smashin:

Have you seen a properly calibrated C680? One that has its greyscale set correctly to D65?

FWIW both the C680 and the C7000 are virtually identicle pictures when calibrated. The C7000 just has more software options (which are all turned off to get the best picture) and internet@TV on the TV itself plus the black filter which gives slightly better black levels. The TV's themselves have very little in difference when it comes to actual PQ.

No it's not properly calibrated, it's not even run in properly yet (and trying to tell them - 'average consumers' through and through what needs doing is falling on deaf ears). Either way I wasn't impressed at all out of the box, the stand draws the eye more than the TV it's so tacky - maybe if wall mounted it would be a lot better :smashin:

I'm sure it's a 'decent' TV display wise (when calibrated) but I much prefer the style and extra features of the 7000, having said that I've also ruled that out as I don't think companies should get our custom if they can't fix inherent flaws (like the blinking issue which would annoy me after a few days).

Commander,

You managed to sort your calibration out? Was wondering if you've time to post all your different settings please?

I would like some advice . My old TV has just broken so its now time to get a new TV . I cant Find any Reviews online about this product but some people have said this is the 6900 but with a different casing , is this correct ? Also is the HD picture any good as this is mainly what i want it for as i dont watch standard Def TV anymore.

Comet have it at 999.00 at the moment with 3D Blu-ray player plus Shrek 3D ...

Also would love to have ur setting posted up so i can copy them. Thanks ...

Also you dont happen to know what this is like with playing games on Xbox or ps3 ?

Commander,

You managed to sort your calibration out? Was wondering if you've time to post all your different settings please?

Do you believe that the settings from one screen will suit another example?
Does this not mean that the manufacturer could have that correct setting as an option for the screen, but they choose not to have the best, just the "brightest" options?

Sadly, I'm not sure you can even say that the settings for the other screen would make a good starting point (rather than, say, setting everything to 50%). Seems like the adjustment range should cover the full amount of variation; so for a value that you would want at 200 units, but the screen produces between 195 and 205 units, then ideally the full range of adjustments (0-100) would be mapped onto the required adjustment (10 units). Setting the mapping as closely to the screen variation would mean that even the most cack-handed botton-pusher would have to work very hard to get the image badly off colour.;).

(only way to assess this is to have the calibration figures for a number of these screens, and then look for modal values.)

Sorry, not intended to be a rant, but Commander Shepherd may be able to clarify these basic questions.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom