Which 55” tv for sports please?

stephenk89

Hi Everybody,

I hope you’re all well. :)

I am looking to purchase a 55” tv predominantly for watching sports, mainly football and tennis. I’ll be using virgin media and Amazon prime, with some Netflix and other streaming. I do watch some other non-sports programming too and the occasional 4K blu ray and dvd. I watch in quite a bright room with a mixture of day and nighttime viewing.

I’ve read Dodgexander’s very helpful best value tv thread and I’m tempted by the Sony 9505 or possibly the Sony A8bu oled. I know there’s lots of threads about burn-in on oleds and this does concern me so I’m leaning more towards the 9505 which I can get for £949 from richer sounds. I’m just wondering if the A8 is worth the extra £250 in terms of picture quality, motion handling etc and whether the burn-in risk outweighs these?

I know I’ve listed 2 Sonys but I’m very happy to consider other brands’ TVs if they would be a better suit. My max budget would be about £1500 but I would like to get the best quality possible for my needs so would consider spending a bit more if necessary.

Apologies for the long post. Many thanks for reading and I look forward to reading any responses.

All the best

Stephen :)

vickster

Distinguished Member
55XH9505, great for sport and no burn in risk. Good too for bright rooms
And cheaper, use the extra for a sound system if needed.
I’ve got the 49”, no complaints on football, just some minor settings tweaking

tvdavid

if sony is hard to find

vickster

Distinguished Member
He says Richer Sounds have it which they do

stephenk89

Thanks vickster and tvdavid. The 9505 sounds likes a good fit then. The Q95 looks good too, for the extra £150 would I get much improvement over the 9505?
Does anyone have any thoughts on the A8?
Thanks again :)

vickster

Distinguished Member
Comments on each in the guide

Also have commentary owner threads in the manufacturer / OLED sub forums

pastrybloke19

Thanks vickster and tvdavid. The 9505 sounds likes a good fit then. The Q95 looks good too, for the extra £150 would I get much improvement over the 9505?
Does anyone have any thoughts on the A8?
Thanks again :)
Sony is generally viewed as being slightly better for sport; Samsung OS is more user friendly but the XH9505 and Q95T are very close/trade blows as it were. Don’t think either would be a bad choice.

I would base it on price, availability and your personal preference: me, I have a soft spot for Sony but either tv should impress. Defo buy from John Lewis or Richer Sounds.

Given the burn in risk (sport) and the fact that both XH9505/Q95T are incredible value, I would personally ignore the A8 and pick one. Don’t hang around too long though as stocks are getting low/sold out.

Dodgexander

Here's the link with the best comparison I made between the two TVs:

stephenk89

Many thanks vickster, tvdavid, pastrybloke19 and Dodgexander.

I read the guide and owner threads thanks vickster and they all sound like very good TVs. Based on the guide, the 9505 seems like the best value for money for me.

Thank you very much for your input pastrybloke19, that’s interesting about Sony being better for sport generally. And you have helped to confirm my concerns about the burn-in risk with the a8. So as the 9505 is a bit cheaper and slightly better suited for what I am looking for, again this seems like the one to go for.

Many thanks for your excellent guides Dodgexander and I read the link to your comparison with interest. Based on the 9505 being better at handling motion and having generally better picture accuracy, which were two of my top requirements, again this draws me towards the 9505.

Thank you tvdavid though for the recommendation on the q90, it does look like a great tv and one which I am sure I would be happy with, but based on the above, the 9505 edges it for me.

So to put you all out of suspense, I’m going for the 9505 quickly while it’s still in stock at Richer Sounds!

Many thanks again to everybody for helping me to choose the right tv and cementing my belief that these are the best tv forums in the world!

Best Wishes to you all :)

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Best Home Cinema Sources and B&W 805 D4 Speaker Review and more...
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom