1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Which 50inch ?

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by Jenny777, May 29, 2005.

1. Jenny777

Jenny777

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi, first of all nice forums here, very helpful, but i've been reading all day and still stuck :(

I'm looking for a ~50inch TV, I want it fixed to my wall, so I was thinking plasma is best?

Are there any clear winners or favourites at the moment?.. i've been looking at the PDP-505XDE(Pioneer), what u think?

Or maybe its worth buying from USA? or is that a bad idea? (I'm from uk)

My mind is so boggled right now, any help is appreciated :thumbsup:

2. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Somewhere near the M4 most of the time......
    Ratings:
    +1,215
    Stick to UK stock US imports look cheap but can end up being very very expensive The Fujitsu P50XHA40US and Panny TH-50PV500 should be on your "to demo" list

3. Bengbeng

Bengbeng
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +16
    To make your choice more difficult, the new Samsung seems to be very nice too. :smashin:

[​IMG]

4. Joe Fernand

Joe Fernand
    Distinguished Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,462
    Hello Jenny777

Probably the Best and Worst time of year to go shopping for a PlasmaTV or Display.

Assuming you want a TV (which is a big assumption - and more questions would need to be asked/answered before you settle for a PlasmaTV over a Plasma Display) then for the last ten months the Pioneer XDE has been the top dog if you wanted a full feature TV that is compatible with as many current and future (read High Definition) video formats as you can imagine.

Everyone in the Plasma Market apart from Pioneer have, or are imminently, launching new models so it may be a month or so before the Best of what's NEW can be put through its paces to see if they better the XDE or not.

You certainly wont go wrong if you choose the XDE PlasmaTV - they look stunning with a decent source; though some folk don't like the fact they tend to highlight poor sources more than some other models.

Once we talk to potential customers we often find all or most of the 'TV' features of a PlasmaTV are not important or required and a Plasma Display with less bells and whistles and potentially better/simpler on-board video processing is a better bet; you need to talk this over with someone who can understand your requirements and what 'fits' best.

Self importing a PlasmaTV or Display from the USA is a mistake - you'd save very little and have poor compatibility with UK/European Broadcast and Video systems and not a lot of help or support from any manufacturers reps in the UK.

Best regards

Joe

5. Jenny777

Jenny777

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thx guys, so it looks like the Pioneer XDE 50 inch is a safe bet. Also maybe worth waiting a month to see how the new models compare.

6. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Somewhere near the M4 most of the time......
    Ratings:
    +1,215
    depending on your budget you may wish to consider the Sharp LC-45GD1E (LCD but 45") as well as the Pio XDE and PV500, The Fujitsu XHA40US is a panel but i still think worth a demo..... Where abouts are you as we can normally point you to a dealer with a good mix of panel and TV models. 90% of the Time a panel works out to be the better buy.