1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Which 50"?

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by togad, Aug 10, 2003.

1. togad

togad

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Hi all -

I'm going to be moving in 4-5 weeks and will (finally!) be getting a Plasma to replace my aging RPTV (Panasonic TX47PT1).

Totally confused about what to go for, but when I previously looked into this about 6 months ago, I was gravitating towards the Pioneer PDP503MXE.

Sources will be the usual - Sky (through a TiVo), DVD (currently Pioneer 656A), the trio of games consoles, and I'd possibly want PC hook-up as well. Switching is through a Meridian 562V3.

Possible future sources would be a DVI capable DVD player, and one of those spanky JVC HM-DH3000's.

Given the above, a few questions -

Is the 503MXE still a good choice?
    Would I need a non-standard video board?
    Is it worth getting something like the iScan Ultra?

TIA,

Gerald.

2. IanM

IanM

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    Gerald,

The 3 favourites at the moment are the Panasonic and Pioneer (the two favourites on these forums) and the Fujitsu (the favourite on the US forums).

I've got a Fujitsu P50 so I'm biased, but I preferred it to both of the others on picture quality and input sockets (it has DVI built-in). You might not feel the same because the Fujitsu is based on the Panny glass and, unlike you, I always preferred the Panny picture to the Pioneer.

However it sounds like they all have new models due out in the next few months so, if you can, then it might be worth waiting. There are even rumours that Fujitsu are bringing out a 55" model, which would be interesting.

It's probably worth waiting until you have the plasma before deciding if you need an iScan Ultra or something similar. Some places will let you try one out - NexNix kindly lent me one for a night, during which time I found that it didn't really work for me.

Having said that I now wish that I'd had the plasma for longer before trying it out, because I've gradually tuned it over the months to settings that I'm happy with but which are quite different from the ones I used with the iScan.

Cheers,
    Ian.

3. lumpsucker

lumpsucker

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +15
    Hi Ian,

Glad to see you are still happy with your Fujitsu. I'm still waiting for news of my P50XHS10ES. I have not heard the 55" rumour. If you have any links or news of either could you give me a shout ?

Cheers

Simon

4. IanM

IanM

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    Simon,

Try this:

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?threadid=287894

As some of the posts say, it would involve a completely new glass that no-one's heard of yet. But you never know.

I haven't heard of anything about the XHS recently, although even if I did then I'd take it with a pinch of salt (although maybe a smaller pinch than for the 55" model). It's already 5 months overdue. Maybe they're reworking the AVM+ box after the dodgy reviews that the 42" version got.

What did you eventually do with your cracked XHA?

Cheers,
    Ian.

5. lumpsucker

lumpsucker

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +15
    Thanks Ian,

Yes I just hope the thing is worth waiting for when it finally arrives.

The cracked XHA will be appearing on Ebay soon complete with photo's.

Cheers

Simon

6. Sprout Crumble

Sprout Crumble

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    The Fujitsu spec is apparently;

"1,366 x 768 pixels to realize 1.07-billion color display, brightness of 1,000cd/m2, darkroom contrast ratio of 1,000:1, color temperature of 9,000K, and power consumption of 350W"

Mass production January 2004

Extra information;

"This time, the company developed e-ALIS technology, the enhanced version of ALIS. E-ALIS' adopts common electrode on front glass panel, as well as ALIS, while it adopts grid cell structure on back glass panel. Only half of electrodes are required compared with other XGA panels. By adopting the original driving method to this panel structure, FHP realizes a progressive display, and also achieves high brightness of 1,000cd/m2."

Its apparently flicker-free with XGA still pictures.

7. lumpsucker

lumpsucker

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +15
    Hi Sprout,

Just got back from hols and checking out latest posts. Where did you get that Fujitsu spec ifo from ?

Cheers

Simon