Which <50" TV for PC/PS5 use?

Planktons

Novice Member
Use: PC monitor/gaming (so <50" is ideal, smaller the better), PS5, lots and lots of movies (both through physical media and streaming)

Budget: $1.5k, less the better

Setup: Atm I sit roughly 3-4' away most of the time + single-window bedroom so I can control the lighting very easily

I'm looking into these three sets but I'm open to suggestions:
  • X90J (50", $1099): No VRR/Gsync, can't set resolution to native 1440p120hz (got a 2080, so no 4k120 for me)
  • QN90A (50", $1189, might be able to get it for $1089): Only one HDMI 2.1 port (I actually only need one atm, but who knows... I might get a 30XX gpu in the future), no Dolby Vision
  • CX (48", $1296 with $120 in gift cards + free 4 year burn-in warranty): No cons I can think of here except for burn-in fear. Not sure if I can ever overcome the fear because on top of the usual risks from PC use, I also play mmorpgs/the same games for a long stretch of time. The CPS 4 year warranty says it will cover burn-in, but people say they're a notoriously awful warranty provider and that I shouldn't ever count on them.

I think if QN90A had Dolby Vision, I'd have bought it immediately, but it doesn't despite costing a hefty penny which makes my decision all the more difficult...

6/16 Update:
I finally went to a local B&M in person to look at the X90J, QN90A, and the C1 in person. Surprisingly enough I think I can finally rule out the OLED. To my newbie eyes, I just like that LCD pop, picture quality is close enough, blooming is surprisingly minimal (to me, and that was something I was worried about as I watch a lot of subtitles), and not having burn-in concerns is the biggest plus. I genuinely had no complaints about the X90J and the QN90A otherwise.

So now anyway... I'm stuck between the:

* QN90A 50": Deal approximately equates to $975 after my special online cashback and bonuses.

* X90J 50": Was offered $929 to me and I'm thinking of counter-offering with $850.

Given the price difference of $975 and potentially $850 is this a toss-up or is QN90A still the winner?

Last edited by a moderator:

Dodgexander

4k 120 should work fine on a 2080 but its limited to 8bit YUV 4:2:0. I run it that way on my own HDMI 2.1 TV.
Gsync on TVs is always based on HDMI Forum VRR, Nvidia just test certain TVs and list them as compatible. So provided a TV has HDMI forum VRR it will work with Gsync. The X90J should be updated in the future to include this.

I'd probably go for the QN90A, but it would be foolish to buy it so soon after release, it should drop quite a bit come Black Friday. The X90J is not really a competitor for the QN90A, instead you have to look at the X95J that starts at 65". The X90J is a cheaper lower tier model with lower peak brightness which is pretty integral for HDR.

I don't think OLED is suited to your usage and I think you will get burn in if you play mmorpgs.

Don't get too hung up on HDR formats, means little compared to the HDR capabilities of the TV. Even though the Sony X90J supports Dolby Vision HDR its HDR will be lackluster compared to the Samsung.

Planktons

Novice Member
4k 120 should work fine on a 2080 but its limited to 8bit YUV 4:2:0. I run it that way on my own HDMI 2.1 TV.
Gsync on TVs is always based on HDMI Forum VRR, Nvidia just test certain TVs and list them as compatible. So provided a TV has HDMI forum VRR it will work with Gsync. The X90J should be updated in the future to include this.

I'd probably go for the QN90A, but it would be foolish to buy it so soon after release, it should drop quite a bit come Black Friday. The X90J is not really a competitor for the QN90A, instead you have to look at the X95J that starts at 65". The X90J is a cheaper lower tier model with lower peak brightness which is pretty integral for HDR.

I don't think OLED is suited to your usage and I think you will get burn in if you play mmorpgs.

Don't get too hung up on HDR formats, means little compared to the HDR capabilities of the TV. Even though the Sony X90J supports Dolby Vision HDR its HDR will be lackluster compared to the Samsung.

Thanks for explaining the HDR capabilities in layman's terms, that makes a lot more sense to me. Think I'll be getting the QN90A afterall.

I don't follow tv deals that much, do you think they'll go down that much from $1189 (or maybe $1089)? I'm looking at camelcamelcamel for the Q90T and the price history isn't that crazy--with the lowest prices being like $1200-1300 for the 55" during holiday season.

Dodgexander

Its hard to know what to expect since there hasn't been a model sold by Samsung at this size before. Usually they neglect smaller TV sizes.

But one thing is for sure, release prices are always heightened, sometimes as much as 50%. I think about 1k would be a fair price to pay. It will probably get nearer to that come Black Friday. The TV currently sells for $1400 so be a bit careful if you find some offers from obscure retailers that seem almost too good to be true.

TV prices are fixed by the manufacturer, so usually if you find a better price elsewhere than say; Best Buy or Amazon then it usually means there's a reason. Dodgy service or returns, or perhaps worse, a scam.

Planktons

Novice Member
Its hard to know what to expect since there hasn't been a model sold by Samsung at this size before. Usually they neglect smaller TV sizes.

But one thing is for sure, release prices are always heightened, sometimes as much as 50%. I think about 1k would be a fair price to pay. It will probably get nearer to that come Black Friday. The TV currently sells for $1400 so be a bit careful if you find some offers from obscure retailers that seem almost too good to be true.

TV prices are fixed by the manufacturer, so usually if you find a better price elsewhere than say; Best Buy or Amazon then it usually means there's a reason. Dodgy service or returns, or perhaps worse, a scam.
Oh it's straight from Samsung themselves, they're just offering a student discount.

Dodgexander

That's a flat % discount right? So if the TV goes down to $1000 it will take money off that too.
I guess it isn't too bad right now with the discount, but you just gotta be willing to take the sucker punch that it probably will drop quite a bit over its shelf life.

You may feel its worth it since you get to have the TV sooner!

Planktons

Novice Member
I finally went to a store to check out the TVs in person and I now have a final choice... would appreciate any new inputs

6/16 Update:
I finally went to a local B&M in person to look at the X90J, QN90A, and the C1 in person. Surprisingly enough I think I can finally rule out the OLED. To my newbie eyes, I just like that LCD pop, picture quality is close enough, blooming is surprisingly minimal (to me, and that was something I was worried about as I watch a lot of subtitles), and not having burn-in concerns is the biggest plus. I genuinely had no complaints about the X90J and the QN90A otherwise.

So now anyway... I'm stuck between the:

* QN90A 50": Deal approximately equates to $975 after my special online cashback and bonuses.

* X90J 50": Was offered $929 to me and I'm thinking of counter-offering with $850.

Given the price difference of $975 and potentially $850 is this a toss-up or is QN90A still the winner?

Planktons

Novice Member
Definitely the winner, the X90J is not competitive at all with that TV, you need to look at the X95J which isn't sold smaller than 65".
Thanks for all the help, I bought the QN90A. Ran into a little stop after finding out about the potential 43" QN90A but decided I couldn't risk losing the deal

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: The Best TVs of 2021, plus our favourite & memorable reviews of the year
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom