1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Which 50" Plasma

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by dshtt, Dec 4, 2004.

1. dshtt

dshtt

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    I'm going to buy a 50" Plasma, really fancy the Pioneer (but don't know which model to go for!!)
    Are other manufacturers 50" models better than the Pioneer.

2. Mahdi

Mahdi

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I am going to get the Pioneer 505XDE, the guy at the shop said it is the best in the market.

3. Claus

Claus

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi,

I just put up my brand new Pio 50".
    I had the 50" Panasonic Viera and it had banding problems and no digital video input.

All I can say is that the Pio is a much better screen. It may not have as deep blacks as the Panny, but it wins on all other counts. Better colors, better brightness and the picture looks a bit more natural than the Panny.

Claus

4. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Somewhere near the M4 most of the time......
    Ratings:
    +1,215
    consider the 50 PHW7 Panny and Fujitsu 50" Panels and the pio MXE panel

5. Mahdi

Mahdi

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hornydragon, I notice you didn't mention the Pioneer 505XDE, any particular reason?

6. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Somewhere near the M4 most of the time......
    Ratings:
    +1,215
    cause the MXE is the same panel i am not a fan of plasma TV's Panels are much more flexible and scalable within a system I am into systems not big tellys if you want a big telly geta DLP RPTV 50" for £2k or 65" for £4k plasma's dont make a great telly

7. Mahdi

Mahdi

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I can see where you are comingfrom, however I at the moment have a 42" RPTV but must say there is no way it can be compared to a Plasma Screen as the quality is very very different.

8. sparkymarky

sparkymarky

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +32
    in what way do you think the pic is very different to a plasma?

can you qualify or quantify that as i too think the picture is different but can't put into words why.

9. Mahdi

Mahdi

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Well with the RPTV you can not view at an angle, also you can not connect any Console systems. Also the imiage looks more Flat where as on a Plasma the images come to life.

Also there is the look to consider and size.

10. sparkymarky

sparkymarky

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +32
    You can certainnly view my rptv from an angle. Any angle in fact, up until you're nearly parrallel with the screen!

Also i play my xbox fine!

11. Moviebuff

Moviebuff

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +233
    To my mind,the picture on a RP looks a fair bit softer - I viewed the much rated Sagem RPTV via a component source the other day,and while a good picture,it seemed to lack the vibrancy of a decent plasma display

12. liveseyd

liveseyd

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Just got my pioneer 505XDE installed, with piano black surround. Fantastic picture, better than my Panasonic PW42.

David

13. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +412
    That may well be so with HDMI dvd, scart is another matter.

14. Pat Marcus

Pat Marcus

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    Im also in the market for a 50" panel and dont really want a TV. I do, however, want to connect digitally to it from my DVD player, so unfortunately, as it lacks HDCP, the Pio MX is out. This seems to leave me only one choice, the Panasonic PHD7 50 or, are there others ?
    I'm put off by the huge expanse of "border" on the Pio 50XDE, which my Dealer has on permanent dem - it's just too big for me.
    help.

15. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +412
    There are a few odd HDCP compliant screens, but no others I'd like to own. There is a bit of a shadow hanging over the Panasonic about accepting HD signals at 50Hz, it will take pretty much anything at 60Hz, but this results in jerking on pans, and tearing in some pictures. It will all be clearer in the new year, there will be a thread or 2 about the new HDMI board as soon as anyone gets their hands on one.

16. Rahmorak

Rahmorak

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    I also looking at the 50" screens and thinking along the same lines as others here, Pio vs Pana.

I will wait until we have a final verdict on the pana via HDMI before I make a decision but I am intrigued by the MXE suggestion. When I looked at the Pioneer site it seemed to suggest it used an older panel (e.g. 1 billion colours vs 7 billion for the 505)?

17. Joe Fernand

Joe Fernand
    Distinguished Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,572
    Rahmorak

The MXE1 does indeed use Pioneer's ‘older' screen technology – which includes a glass element and the colour filter not bonded to the outer acrylic surface.

The XDE and FDE PlasmaTV models use a NEW technology which removes the glass layer and has the colour filter bonded to the acrylic outer surface; this produces less internally reflected light, makes the unit much lighter and for the Professional market possibly too vulnerable to accidental damage.

If you damage the outer surface on an MXE1 its relatively straightforward to replace the acrylic filter – this is not the case with the XDE/FDE where you also have the colour filter applied to the acrylic front.

Both the MXE1 and XDE/FDE can produce excellent images – no matter how many colour's they say they can produce in the literature; and keep in mind the number of colour's any panel can produce varies depending on what signal your inputting (PAL vs.NTSC) and what setting's you have adopted in the set up menu.

Best regards

Joe

PAT – the 50PHD7 + a video processor will ‘make you happy!'

18. Rahmorak

Rahmorak

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    Thanks for the reply Joe!

I guess for the cost, Pana PHD+Scaler (lumagen/iScan) may be the better option but until we have a definitive answer on the 720p/50 support it kind of hangs in the balance. :)

EDIT: Oops, just read your reply in the HDMI thread, looks like it is an XDE or waiting a few months then. Shame really as I did prefer the Pana out of the screens I have seen.