Which 50" Plasma to choose?

Grimmi68

Standard Member
Reaction score
Hi, I'd like to know what choice you experts think I should make. I'm going to get a 50" plasma and I've narrowed it down to two so far. One is the Pioneer KRP-500A and the other is the Panasonic TX-P50V10. I'm wondering if the Pioneer will still show some motion blurring, especially during football (where the grass goes out of focus during camera panning). I'm going to record some HD football this week and see if it's noticeable on my mate's LX5090. If it doesn't, i think I'll go for the KRP, otherwise, I'll be waiting for the Panny (and hoping the motion blurring isn't there). It might seem like I'm overreacting, but I really seem to notice this blurring, even if some people don't, so I don't want to spend this sort of cash and have a problem watching the footy (although I realise I'm doomed if these TVs show it, because there'll be no other option). Please let me have your thoughts; I've seen some really knowledgeable comments on these forums, and some of you have the KRP, too.

put simply, the krp 500a is the best, then the lx5090, then the rest, stop looking at the grass concentrate on the action, these are getting scarce now so dont hang about.

gbmitie

Go for the V10, it looks nicer and has better motion handling. You might have to wait a bit because it has'nt come out yet but it's very good though.
It's more energy saving too:D

News - Latest news - New VIERA Plasma Line-Up - UK & Ireland

Have you seen this TV or a review of it yet? I thought only the G10 had been reviewed so far.
Until it is released I am not sure how anyone can know if it has better motion handling.
The KRP is a great TV (although I am a little biased as I do have one). Not sure I fully understand the OP issue, which part of the grass do you see blur during motion? Is it the white lines on the grass or details within the grass?
On the energy side of things the Gadget show did a good feature on this and the energy efficient screens basically saved around £30 a year on electricity compared to the screens last year (not really worth worrying about and I would be willing to pay that for a better PQ).
From what I have seen on here the V10 is expected to be close to the KRP but most still believe the KRP will have the edge on black levels and picture processing. However, until it is released no one will really know how close (or if in fact it is better) than the KRP. Unfortunately the KRPs are getting in short supply so there may not be many left by the time the V10 is released.
Maybe worth looking at the G10 which is released now against the KRP to see how big the difference is between then. If you could live with the G10 PQ then the V10 should be even better hence wait until it released then make your mind up (then even if there are no KRPs you will get a screen you are happy with). If the G10 looks terrible too you and the KRP is good then probably better to get the KRP now.

Hi, I'd like to know what choice you experts think I should make. I'm going to get a 50" plasma and I've narrowed it down to two so far. One is the Pioneer KRP-500A and the other is the Panasonic TX-P50V10. I'm wondering if the Pioneer will still show some motion blurring, especially during football (where the grass goes out of focus during camera panning). I'm going to record some HD football this week and see if it's noticeable on my mate's LX5090. If it doesn't, i think I'll go for the KRP, otherwise, I'll be waiting for the Panny (and hoping the motion blurring isn't there). It might seem like I'm overreacting, but I really seem to notice this blurring, even if some people don't, so I don't want to spend this sort of cash and have a problem watching the footy (although I realise I'm doomed if these TVs show it, because there'll be no other option). Please let me have your thoughts; I've seen some really knowledgeable comments on these forums, and some of you have the KRP, too.

I've recently bought the Pioneer LX5090 with a Humax PVR freesat box so I can watch footie in HD.

The results I get are mixed...

If the camera isn't panning then the image quality is excellent. The shots of the crowd and the stadium are fabulous.

But... if the camera pans quickly then it all turns bad :thumbsdow

eg if the camera pans quicker than the players (after a goal kick) then all the players get smudged as do the advertising boards and the pitch.

Also, on medium pans, the pitch loses detail and ends up looking like mushy peas until the camera stops and then the pitch detail reappears and you get to see lots of detail in the grass.

It's so bad you can't sit close to the TV so I end up watching at the same distance as SDTV to minimise the irritatinig motion blur.

I've tried all the menu options to reduce this and none of them improve it (some make it judder badly)

It may be a limitation of the frame rate and also digital TV in general (compression/de-interlacing/bandwidth) but I'm less than impressed with the overall system.

However, if it turns out to be the Pioneer LX5090 that is the weak link then it will get binned pronto in favour of whatever TV can cope best with watching footie on HDTV.

I doubt the KRP500A will be any different in this respect as the research I did revealed it's the same panel with similar processing hardware.

It may be that I am one of the unlucky ones that is susceptible to motion distortion on digital TV because watching footie on an old Sony CRT in PAL gives much more lifelike motion for me...

PS. wish my team luck tonight! :D

Last edited:
I have to agree, it's inherent with plasmas, even the best.
My Panny PZ70 is supposed to be excellent with motion handling, but when watching footy, it's highly annoying because divots on the pitch totally disappear during pans. Even the Pios are prone to this and you can't do anything about it.
As said though, just go for the pio or wait for the V10.
I'm pretty sure you'll be ok to wait for a few weeks.

Unfortunately I can't wish Chelsea luck tonight mate. It's not that I don't like them, it's more I don't want Man U to win the CL.

I have to agree, it's inherent with plasmas, even the best.
My Panny PZ70 is supposed to be excellent with motion handling, but when watching footy, it's highly annoying because divots on the pitch totally disappear during pans. Even the Pios are prone to this and you can't do anything about it.
As said though, just go for the pio or wait for the V10.
I'm pretty sure you'll be ok to wait for a few weeks.

Unfortunately I can't wish Chelsea luck tonight mate. It's not that I don't like them, it's more I don't want Man U to win the CL.

:)
They won't get past Arsenal (hopefully)

One thing I can do with the Humax PVR is do tricks like replay and pause in HDTV.

The PVR does show blurred players even on the pause during fast pans and this kind of hints that at least some of the problem is broadcast like this. (or am I missing something here?)

I'm feeding the TV via HDMI from the PVR and I think I've got the PVR setup OK for best HDTV etc.

It could just be that there isn't enough framerate in the system and if you couple this with compression to limit the HDTV bandwidth then maybe all TVs will show this blur.

Like I said before, on stationary camera shots the image quality is excellent. Almost lifelike at times, especially the crowd shots when the camera switches to the stands.

Last edited:
:)
They won't get past Arsenal (hopefully)

One thing I can do with the Humax PVR is do tricks like replay and pause in HDTV.

The PVR does show blurred players even on the pause during fast pans and this kind of hints that at least some of the problem is broadcast like this. (or am I missing something here?)

I'm feeding the TV via HDMI from the PVR and I think I've got the PVR setup OK for best HDTV etc.

It could just be that there isn't enough framerate in the system and if you couple this with compression to limit the HDTV bandwidth then maybe all TVs will show this blur.

Like I said before, on stationary camera shots the image quality is excellent. Almost lifelike at times, especially the crowd shots when the camera switches to the stands.

Very possibly, and it's just that you don't see it on CRTs, because of their smaller size.
Whatever, it's still way better than LCD, imo.

Very possibly, and it's just that you don't see it on CRTs, because of their smaller size.
Whatever, it's still way better than LCD, imo.

Phew! it's half time and still 0-0...

I don't think screen size comes into it. The problem is so obvious when you compare the Sony CRT (in 4:3 PAL) to the Pioneer LX5090 in HD.

When the camera pans on the Pioneer (in HDTV) the advertising boards go jittery and smudged. So smudged it makes them hard to read!

On the CRT they stay smudge free and are easy to read all of the time. So screen size isn't the difference.

Also the players move more naturally on the CRT. There really is no contest in terms of motion handling.

CRTs win in motion handling, plasmas haven't been around for long enough for them to catch up really. But screen size does come into it, motion blurring on smaller LCDs isn't as obvious as on the big ones.

I can't say I've noticed anything like what you're describing on a Pioneer though, not even on my (admittedly smaller, but worse) LG and Panasonic

and hey 0-0 at the end...not too shabby!

CRTs win in motion handling, plasmas haven't been around for long enough for them to catch up really. But screen size does come into it, motion blurring on smaller LCDs isn't as obvious as on the big ones.

I can't say I've noticed anything like what you're describing on a Pioneer though, not even on my (admittedly smaller, but worse) LG and Panasonic

and hey 0-0 at the end...not too shabby!

0-0 good result! :D

Barcelona looked superb in possession and they are the first team in ages that made Chelsea look clumsy and slow in possession (not that we had much possession!).

I'm not convinced that plasma technology is the weak link. I think it's more likely that it's down to the compromises that affect digital TV in general. eg the need to compress the broadcast image to keep within bandwidth limits and also the limitations of the processing in the TV itself.

I have also noticed differences in the motion handling in different footie matches on ITV1 HD.

Some seem more smudgy than others so maybe the bandwidth varies from transmission to transmission.

Trust me, you would easily see what I can see. Even my 70yr old neighbour thought the footie on HDTV looked blurry on camera pans. He also watches footie on a CRT.

ITV footy is really terrible quality but after watching the match today on my Panasonic I could still clearly make out the writing on the boards, it was by no means perfect, but not like what you said (unless you were exaggurating!)

Yeah, the match looked bad on my 26" CRT too!

Who in their right minds wants to read advertising hoardings :).

Chelsea were terrible tonight, never even tried to play football. Hopefully next week's game will be better as Chelsea will have to score to win the game and will at least have to leave their own half several timesto do that.

Who in their right minds wants to read advertising hoardings :).

Chelsea were terrible tonight, never even tried to play football. Hopefully next week's game will be better as Chelsea will have to score to win the game and will at least have to leave their own half several timesto do that.

Same people who watched Arsenal under George Graham:).

ITV footy is really terrible quality but after watching the match today on my Panasonic I could still clearly make out the writing on the boards, it was by no means perfect, but not like what you said (unless you were exaggurating!)
Yeah, Looked more like a youtube stream!

Thanks all for your views. Like I say, I'm going to view the HD at the weekend, so I'll have more information then. I really do fancy getting the KRP (if I can get one) so it'll be good news if it all goes well at the weekend.

PSM1 - it is the details of the grass that blur and then get back into focus.

Does anyone know who has got the KRP in stock?

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom