Which 50" Plasma is best?

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs Forum' started by jules0266, Jul 30, 2002.

1. jules0266

jules0266

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Would anyone care to offer an opinion on the following 50" Plasmas: current models of Fujitsu, Panasonic and Pioneer. I've seen them all and they are impressive but I have it on good authority that the picture quality of the 42" Panasonic Plasma is better than their 50" (which was my first choice). I am also worried about screen burn, not from channel logos (I know the do's and dont's with these) but from video games. I will be using an Xbox, Gamecube, PS2 and Dreamcast with the eventual choice but will I get problems from the various on screen displays (life meters, speedometers etc)? As the room size is W17'xL14'xH7.5' would a projector and screen be a safer bet?

2. megabyte

megabyte

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Wow the answers are coming thick and fast to this one:D

If it's any help, I've seen the fujitsu and wouldn't touch it with a barge pole-pic quality woefull compared to pioneer in same showroom.
    I was very impressed with the sony 42 inch version.
    Crisp and brilliant.
    Cant comment on panny.
    but am worried about guarantee's and breakdowns in relation to such an expensive purchase.
    It's the only thing stopping me at the moment as they are lovely.

3. dts_boy

dts_boy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +199
    i have just seen the fujitsu and would have to disagree. it was VERY good, maybe the one you saw was not set up properly? the pioneer is also good, very handy with the breakout box for scarts etc..
    i ahve not seen any others but i would personally go for a fujitsu as i liked it more than the other:p

4. megabyte

megabyte

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    It was on NTL analog cable, which wouldn't have helped:(
    It would not surprise me if it wasn't set up properly as it had a lot of digital artifacts in the picture.
    That would annoy me-I couldnt watch it.
    Why do some salespeople try to sell things as expensive as that with an "ach it will do" attitude towards setting them up...puzzles me:confused:

With regard to Jules question on screenburn...
    Don't these newer plasmas now move the pixels periodically so as to avoid screenburn?
    I know that feature is in the latest sonys:)

5. androidgb

androidgb
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0

As a newbie I wonder if anyone could tell me what exactly you have to do to remove the digital artifacts

Thank you

6. Guest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    As a newbie I wonder if anyone could tell me what exactly you have to do to remove the digital artifacts

Get the best possible source material, and make sure you use good quality Cables

7. Joe Fernand

Joe Fernand
    Distinguished Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,253
    jules0266

We supply mostly the Pioneer and Panasonic 50" models and you don't have to worry about them not standing up picture wise against the Panasonic 42" panel - with a good source signal the 50" display's look excellent.

The model's to consider, if picture quality is your top priority, being the Pioneer PDP-503MXE or the Panasonic TH-50PHD30BX plasma displays. And if you can forgo a bit of ultimate picture quality and want a few extra features (TV Tuner/Teletext/Picture in Picture/SCART inputs etc) then look at the Pioneer PDP-503HDE PlasmaTV.

My money would currently go on the Pioneer PDP-503MXE - there is not much to choose between the Pioneer and Panasonic plasma displays picture wise; they are both capable of causing jaw ache :) for the first few weeks of ownership. The Pioneer MXE, normally supplied with the PDA-5002 video board, edges out the Panasonic on connectivity and has the option to have both DVI and Component video connected at one time.

Screen burn is managed on both of the displays manually using on-screen wipe options - its a case of keeping an eye on your screen at the end of each session and using the screen wipe if you see any ghosting.

magabtye
    Fujitsu do a 'huge' range of panels so you need to keep an eye on which model you are looking at in a showroom - some of the Fujitsu models are better than others at video and some are better suited to life in a presentation suite or digital signage solution.

Not seen a Sony display so far to rival the Panasonic so maybe you've seen one of the new ones!

With Pioneer and Panasonic you can purchase extended on site warranties that cover everything - apart from absolute pixel defcect cover; both manfacturers have 'allowable' fault tolerances on a small number of dead or stuck pixels.

With the extended warranty in place from the manufacturer you should be pretty safe with either of these displays.

megabyte - I would avoid any sort of 'pixel shift' function - fine in a digital signage system but a bit of sea sick at home would be a bit of a nightmare; imagine how far you would need to shift a column of say ten pixels wide of the one colour to try and get the whole column to not be showing the same colour.

androidgb - don't ever watch a signal from a digital decoder :p

Hope this all helps.

Joe

8. androidgb

androidgb
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Joe, that was extremely useful, many thanks.

I take your point about digital decoders, but what if that is what the family want to watch. I have a set up for DVD's using a projector.

We previously had a Phillips 42PF9952 and I was nowhere near as aware of the digital artifacts as I am on the Pioneer PDP- 433E.
    Could it be that the Phillips was less demanding of its source material ?

Also is there any difference technically between the Pioneer PDP -433E and the 503HDE

Given that the TV will be used to watch content from a Digibox is there anything that can be done to improve the picture quality,
    line doubler etc.

Or are you saying that I would be better looking for a 36" CRT for general TV viewing ?

9. Joe Fernand

Joe Fernand
    Distinguished Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,253
    androidgb

Is your set-top outputting an RGB or a Composite signal? You need to look in the SKY set-up menu. The RGB setting will look better than the Composite.

I have not tried an external processor with either of the HDE models - I can have a go and let you know if it helps; though a bit hectic for the next couple of days so no immediate feedback I'm afraid.

The PDP-433HDE and the PDP-503HDE both use the same external Media Box (PDP-R03) and that tends to dictate the overall 'look' of both displays so not much to choose between them picture quality wise.

We do sell quite a few of the HDE models and so far no big complaints about its image quality from a Digibox - and like your own set-up some customers do have a second system for 'movie' nights and generally the 'family' really enjoy the HDE as the new 'big' TV.

So I guess its confirm you are set to RGB, ensure you have a good quality cable and connection and try out the various pre-set picture menus to see if you can optimise your Digibox signal.

Regards

Joe

10. androidgb

androidgb
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Joe, don't bother to look at the external processor with the HDE.

My dealer has offered to exchange it for and 503MXE with the PDA-5002 Card.( some more money changing hands of course)

Do I need/Would I benefit from one of John Sims magic boxes to watch Sky Digital (RGB Scart output)

Thanks for all the info, I'm getting there

:)