1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Which 50" Panasonic or Pioneer

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by Michael001, Jul 20, 2005.

1. Michael001

Michael001

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    First time plasma buyer. Need somthing large to hang on the wall. I am using a sky+ box, but would welcome suggestions as to "all in one" DVD / Home Cinema that would complement the plasma & Sky + :lease:

Michael

2. ikon66

ikon66

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    sony dav lf1 :smashin: for looks and sound, connectivity could be better tho :mad:

3. jw250

jw250

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +14
    I assume you wanted to hear a preference toward either Panansonic or Pioneer 50" plasma. I would definitely go Pioneer PDP505XDE. The media box is good, has lots of connections (more than you can ever have on the Panasonic and never EVER buy a Panasonic screen with a media box - they are truly awful. I even think there are big threads here dedicated to hating that media box). The Pioneer screen is excellent though, its HD Ready etc. etc. However, the PDP506XDE is due this August, which means 2 things, either pick up a 505 nice'n cheap, or wait for the 506, which must have some improvements.

As for all in ones - I'm a separates man myself, much better value if you want something of good quality. The best way to complement your plasma is to get a very good DVD player - Denon DVD 2910 (with HDMI) for e.g. and add to that perhaps a Denon AVR 2805 surround sound receiver and then choose the speakers that you like the look of, KEF KHT range or B&W Mini Theatre (MT10, MT20, MT30 - their new sub-sat speaker package is very nice, expensive but so so nice). Keep it separate and you can add, take away, swap/upgrade components. Reliability and build tends to be far better too with each device having its own power supply so there aren't loads of miniaturised electronics crammed into one small device all getting power from one low quality power supply. For the same reasons, performance is much much higher than the best all in one. If you're spending more than £600 on DVD and sound - go separate.

For me, all in ones are great for small budgets and small rooms. If thats what you're after then IMO anything from Sony or Pioneer that looks good will do - shame not to get the best out of the Plasma with the sub-standard DVD mechanism though, not to mention the lack of any upgradability, higher chance of fault after x-years of use and when HDDVD or BLU-RAY arrive in full you'll probably end up swapping out the whole thing for a brand new one, in total exceeding the cost of a far superior separates system. Buy once, not twice.

Hope this helps. Maybe you know all this anyway, perhaps I've just really patronised you, I hope not - if so, sorry.

4. benwong

benwong

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Why's this different to when one buys a very expensive DVD player now?What's to stop one from spending £600+ on the top of the range DVD player, to then have to buy a replacement if one desires to take advantage of HD DVD/ Blue Ray players??

I don't see how this point can at all be an advantage of spending copious amounts of money on a DVD player?

Unless of course high end DVD players already support HD DVD or Blue Ray discs... (!?)

Ben

5. jw250

jw250

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +14
    Ben,

The point I was trying to make is that dvd playback performance on 'all-in-ones' is nowhere near that of a separate dvd deck. Especially when shown on a large 50" screen. The suggestion of a Denon 2910 was merely a suggestion, I believe the quality of most all-in-one's dvd playback is akin to a pretty cheap and nasty (£90-£100) dvd deck. A good £200+ dvd deck would outperform a Bose Lifestyle system or a top of the range Sony or Pioneer all-in-one costing £1,000 or £3,000... etc. IMO.

Dvd players aren't all the same. Picture quality does vary - and the point about having to spend copious amounts of money on a DVD player, well... I don't think you have to spend copious amounts on a DVD player - £200+ ought to get you a dvd deck that beats just about every all-in-one there is going. And then, when HDDVD or BLU-RAY arrive, you don't have to replace your entire system with either 'another' all-in-one, you can just swap-out for the new deck. Until that point you can enjoy a picture on your 50" plasma that no 'all-in-one' gives you. I agree that there is little point spending ridiculous amounts on a DVD player, but to me, £600 on a DVD player £600 on an Amp and £850 on a speaker set-up from B&W say, (tot: £2,050) craps all over the top of the range Bose for example and is good value. If you want to save, get a cheaper DVD and still get good results - so on this note we probably will agree. But there is still a good reason for getting a good quality dvd player. All-in-ones are not good value if you use quality as your measure.

Josh

6. jw250

jw250

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +14
    :oops:

Having re-read my first message, I get what you're saying now. Obviously not concentrating. Ok, so in each instance (all-in-one or seps.) you'll need to buy a new deck for HDDVD etc. If you had an all in one would you be happy adding a separate HDDVD deck (which is a high-end piece of kit most likely) and adding it to a (IMO) low quality all-in-one? It makes more sense 'value' wise to go separates, have the high quality running through your entire set-up. Perhaps it does work out costing the same, maybe I'm wrong there, or maybe its even a bit more expensive. Its a lot better though!! :thumbsup:

7. benwong

benwong

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Yeah I understand your point about getting seperates and I totally agree with you there.

I've just formed the opinion that at this moment in time, yes seperates are a better choice, but in terms of the DVD player, I'd go for a nice sub £100 one for now, with the intention of upgrading to an HD one in the very near future..

This seems to be the route a lot of other guys on here are taking too at the mo..

Actually, tell a lie, I'd build myself a very powerful HTPC instead of a stand alone DVD player, with the intention of adding a Hi Def capable disc drive of some sort in the future.. I can play HD files with no hassle right now, and the scaling performed on a PC for SD DVDs seem better than that on the majority of DVD players.. and it's a tad more versatile..

Ben

8. dilsher

dilsher

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    but my lovelys the best 50" plasma on the market is neither a Panny or a Pio..its a Fuji 50XHA40US.

ciao

9. gizlaroc

gizlaroc

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +645

Sorry if this has been said already above but I sort of skimmed over it.

If you are going to be watching mainly Sky and DVD then I would say the 50" panasonic wins by quite a margin.
    You can hook up the dvd rgb into the sky box and then back out to the screen with a JS scart to vga converter straight into the vga socket on the panel.

The 50" panasonic is £2875 delivered including wall bracket or desk stand and input board, whcih could be scart or better still the dual slot offering component and s-video.

The pioneer panels are alright but the TV sets with their media boxes are awful imho, but then so are the Panasonics when you add a media box to it, but at least you can run it without one.

What is your total budget for screen and sound?

10. Michael001

Michael001

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Dear Gizlaroc,

Current budget running at aprox 4.5K, that is to include plasma, DVD & sound. Any thoughts would be well received.

Thanks

Michael

11. gizlaroc

gizlaroc

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +645
    For £4.5k you have plenty of options.

I would spend £2800 on the PHD7 panasonic, leaving you nearly £2k for the sound side of things.
    For an easy life look at an amp that can do all the video switching, loads of recommendations in the intergrated amp section, Denons are always a favourite, something like the 3805.
    I would get a JS scart to component converter for your NTL box, you can then route this through the amp too.
    The gallos are great little speakers and well worth looking at.
    This would just about keep in budget.

You could later add a Lumagen DVI scaler, you can then have it sit after the amp and before the screen to scale and process the image to the native res of the PHD7 to give you stunning results.

You then only have to switch the amp remote and it will do you video and audio switching in one go for an easy life.

12. chedmaster

chedmaster

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +28
    you do make me chuckle! every thread ' 50" ' in the title, you can guarantee to find dilsher there, be it "definately the fuji" or "you should of got the fuji!" :laugh:

i feel the same in the AV amp forum, no one takes my advice about the azur :mad:

13. gizlaroc

gizlaroc

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +645
    My mate has the Fuji and I really like it, but I would take a 50" Panny with wall bracket, input board and Lumagen scaler for £3500 rather than the Fuji on its own for £4500.

14. Joe Fernand

Joe Fernand
    Distinguished Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,572
    Hello Michael001

Were at that odd time for year for would be Plasma buyers - the big guns all have new kit arriving in the next few weeks so you can either grab a bargain on current models or await the new models with the latest specs.

First choice is Plasma Display vs. PlasmaTV - the former is usually much simpler in terms of features and Inputs but ultimately can be configured in every which way you can imagine and will generally produce the most accurate and adjustable video images.

Next you need to decide if you want something that is HD Ready or not - HD Ready is a designation created by the powers that be in Europe to ensure you are compatible with the agreed standard for High Definition broadcasting in Europe.

Currently very few Displays and TV's are truly HD Ready - a lot of kit on the market is High Definition compatible in that they have enough pixels and video inputs for some forms of HD material but often not at 50Hz so cant be classed as truly HD Ready for Europe.

On the PlasmaTV front you have a choice of the Pioneer 05XDE or the Panasonic PV500 (both HD Ready) - Pioneer have the 06XDE sitting in the wings with a launch planned for late August early September.

On the Plasma Display front as Dilsher points out you have the Fujitsu P50XHA40US which is HD Ready and Panasonic will soon launch the NEW 8 Series Displays (again HD Ready and again Late August/early September) - the 7 Series Displays are not HD Ready (you need to add an external video processor (£700+) if you want compatibility with European 50Hz HD signals).

I'm amazed at how many customers come to us for a 50" TV with a very small budget for an 'all-in-one' AV system.

Going with an 'all-in-one' works for lots of folk - though your hardly stirring a decent Display into life and your never going to scare the neighbours with decent surround sound.

Not quite an 'all-in-one' but another option to consider is the Yamaha YSP-1 Digital Sound Projector - mounted below the Display/TV with an external DVD and Digibox and a small active subwoofer to suit your room size and you have a half way house between all-in-one and separates.

Best regards

Joe

15. dilsher

dilsher

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    ched!

lol..but of course. Our aim is to educate and let pple choose. As the Fuji is not a model anyone actually knows about I feel it my duty to humanity to let them know a product exists outside of the usual suspects which is now considered by all to simply be the best available right now in the 4k and abiove market. Even I would not have known about it if it hadnt been for Horny and MAW here...

Having seen every other 50" on the market now too - i cant beleive how good the Fuji is. Partner it with a cool video processor and its special, very special.

The 50" Viera? Pants! The 505XDE? Pants! The Hitachi 55MA? Pants! The only decent display competing will be the Panny PHD8, not the Pio 506 or anything else for a year or so at least.

Fujitsu have finally come home with this model - after years of let downs.

16. darrens

darrens
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I don't know if all the rest are exactly pants but I do agree with dilsher that the Fuji is very special. And that's without an external video processor!

17. Majid Khan

Majid Khan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Interesting.. Sony have just released their first of their new W range of plasmas , but it seems only to be available on unbeatable.co.uk.

Its the 50" plasma, looks quite good.. but priced at a mammoth £4400 or so.

This seems to be the first Sony plasma equipped with HDMI.